Page 54 of 135 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2691

Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The Giants have won 16 of 19. Unreal. They’re not a very good team and it’s brutally obvious

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The Giants have won 16 of 19. Unreal. They’re not a very good team and it’s brutally obvious
    Yeah, they've been insanely lucky combined with playing some struggling teams. Taking 7 of 8 from the Rox and Mets isn't all that impressive given the current state of each team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Yeah, they've been insanely lucky combined with playing some struggling teams. Taking 7 of 8 from the Rox and Mets isn't all that impressive given the current state of each team.
    And they're like 23-10 in one-run games, which is a testament to their bullpen, but damn. I hope they decide to hold onto players (except for when they trade Will Smith to us) and go on a 10-game losing streak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    They were 7-2 against the padres, cards, and brewers before they played the Rockies and Mets. They're 15-3 in July... that's impressive no matter who they've played

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Bruce Bochy magic...HoF manager
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    They were 7-2 against the padres, cards, and brewers before they played the Rockies and Mets. They're 15-3 in July... that's impressive no matter who they've played
    Yes, that's true. Was trying to make the point that the competition during this time wasn't particularly good and all seem to be struggling as of late. 15-3 is still impressive though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Bruce Bochy magic...HoF manager
    He's the reason I doubt they sell or at least don't go full-on rebuild. They'll want to try and win for him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    A bad team going on an unsustainable hot streak just before the trade deadline is pretty much the worst case scenario for a team that needs to kick off a rebuild. Impossible to sell while within earshot of a playoff spot, but very likely to regress and miss the playoffs.

If they have a chance they have to take it though. Their current 7.6% chance to make the playoffs is right on the edge of buy/sell.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (07-23-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    JP Morosi (who is a moron so TIFWIW) just said the Pirates have been scouting the Braves system for a potential Felipe Vazquez trade and that they would likely want at least two of Pache/Waters/Anderson for a deal to happen, which I imagine would be a total non-starter for AA.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Swanson View Post
    JP Morosi (who is a moron so TIFWIW) just said the Pirates have been scouting the Braves system for a potential Felipe Vazquez trade and that they would likely want at least two of Pache/Waters/Anderson for a deal to happen, which I imagine would be a total non-starter for AA.
    Haha...NO

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I can't remember who first remarked that Pache may be an option for CF rather than acquiring another OFer, but that's an idea we haven't discussed enough as a possibility. He is a few games away from accumulating 500 PAs in AA, and the Braves need a RHH OFer, preferably one who can play CF.

Would he be awesome? Probably not.

Would he be better than Ender and Riley? I could be convinced either way.
    No idea whether I was "first", but I mentioned it this past offseason.

Make sure not to let that affect your line of thinking.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Enscheff immediately thinks it's a terrible idea lol

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There is something to be said for holding on to the prospects and making one or two incremental moves. Big and bold isnt necessarily better if it involves an overpay.
    No doubt. However everyone around here has such differing opinions as to what an "incremental move" and which prospects are/should be tradeable, it's become ridiculously tough to have a discussion.

If the Giants are legitimately on the buy/sell line as the numbers suggest, it would be absolutely ridiculous for AA to sit on his hands through another deadline. Does he have to back up the truck? Certainly not - there doesn't seem to be anybody available to even make it worth discussing Pache/Waters/Anderson in any deal right now. That doesn't mean he shouldn't try to help this week.

Unless an opportunity nobody's heard about yet presents itself, upgrading on the edges - except for at least one closing option - makes plenty of sense. The problem is, what are those "edge" options and when are people going to realize that ANY realistic upgrades are likely to cost a bit more than the charts say they should? There simply aren't enough sellers right now to allow contenders to pick and choose based on giving up their more marginal prospects if they actually want to improve their current situation.

AA simply has to improve the pen as currently constructed if he wants even a minimal shot at taking the Dodgers out. Everybody's in on Giles, Smith, and Vazquez if they're truly available. He really needs to get at least one "difference maker" - any other addition can come from the marginal pool and be fine. If he really wants a SP, I'd certainly agree that he needs to be shopping for the best value - MadBum or Stroman definitely aren't so much better than the Wheelers/etc. to justify cashing in much for.

The thing is, if he wants to give the 2019 team a legitimate shot, everyone not named Pache/Anderson/Waters needs to be in play - and if he has to overpay to get those pieces a little according to the charts, so be it. It doesn't work differently than for other teams - if their chances of making the postseason/advancing if they get there can be improved, they should make moves. So should AA - even if it costs SLIGHTLY more than he'd like.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    LMAO. Nope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    it would be absolutely ridiculous for AA to sit on his hands through another deadline.
    he made multiple deals to bring in Gausman, Brach, Duvall and Venters last year

this year might be less active...which is fine with me if the sellers are asking for too much...value is still a big part of the equation
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (07-23-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    There's probably not a reliever in baseball worth two of those three. That's the kind of package we'd give up for an ace, not for a closer.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-23-2019), clvclv (07-23-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Just like I don't take a playdoh eater's opinion into account when making dinner plans, rest assured whatever you may have blabbered sometime in the past during one of your drawn out incoherent rambling posts isn't taken into account whatsoever when I evaluate anything that has to do with baseball.

Many people rosterbated Pache in the lineup this year because they rosterbate every prospect in the lineup every year. Someone made the logical point that he may be ready now based on current data a few weeks ago. Whoever that was made an intelligent point. You have yet to make an intelligent point, and that's why everyone makes you the butt of jokes.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-23-2019 at 11:49 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Pache is off limits for pretty much anything that could realistically be traded at this deadline.

A package centered around one of Waters/Anderson/Wright might make sense, but I'm generally against spending lots of resources on volatile BP arms. Vazquez may be one of the elite exceptions to such a rule though.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-23-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I am not in position to research but is Vasquez have any historical success to lean on. I am truly ignorant on him. I am not a fan of pouring big resources into unproven talent. Any one can have an outlier season at anytime.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am not in position to research but is Vasquez have any historical success to lean on. I am truly ignorant on him. I am not a fan of pouring big resources into unproven talent. Any one can have an outlier season at anytime.
    Traded to the Pirates from the Nats in the Melancon trade (was named Felipe Rivero at the time).

He's basically spent the last 2.5 seasons being what everyone thinks Newk would be with above average control...but better. Over that span his xwOBA of .263 is 16th best in MLB among the 356 pitchers who faced 500+ batters.

Rivero/Vazquez is pretty much the worst/best case scenario after trading for a BP rental.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-23-2019 at 12:07 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (07-23-2019)