Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Could the Braves win 90 games this season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    The Twins went "worst to first" also in that same season. Of course it's not unheard of but it was not predictable. Everybody picked them to be in last place again. Several players had career years, which were equally not predictable.
    if these rare events were more easily predictable they wouldn't be so remarkable...the Cubs improved a lot in 2016 but everyone saw that one coming
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Braves will be a top half run producer, I think.

To me its always been about what they get out of the rotation. My prediction would be it would be average or below average.

The real opportunity for picking up unexpected wins would be *starting pitchers* breaking out.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 04-09-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Braves will be a top half run producer, I think.

To me its always been about what they get out of the rotation. My prediction would be it would be average or below average.

The real opportunity for picking up unexpected wins would be players breaking out.
    I think the pitching is more likely to be above league average...people are overreacting to a very lucky streak by our hitters...our lineup is below average imo

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think the pitching is more likely to be above league average...people are overreacting to a very lucky streak by our hitters...our lineup is below average imo

I think Teheran, McCarthy, and Sanchez should be expected to be pretty tepid at best, though any of them could outperform.

Newcomb and Gohara in my view probably should be expected to be below average, though either could certainly make a leap and do better.

Folty has a big ceiling, but was relatively bad last year.

Maybe you get five guys to really exceed what I think is most likely, but its not an especially good group I don't think absent big breakouts.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Hitting, I just think the top 6 are going to be pretty strong. Inciarte, Albies, Freeman could be as good a first three as almost anyone. Or not. I just think they'll end up top half overall.

I fully expect bottom to drop out from Flaherty, Culbertson, Camargo, Bourjous, Lane Adams, etc.

I kind of believe in Tucker, Acuna in LF. I sort of believe in Markakis to be slightly better than last year. Mississippi's jaw is going to drop, but I think Swanson will be a good bit better than the worst hitting position player in the NL this year. This is probably unrealistic, but I think he'll be average or above overall.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I think Teheran, McCarthy, and Sanchez should be expected to be pretty tepid at best, though any of them could outperform.

Newcomb and Gohara in my view probably should be expected to be below average, though either could certainly make a leap and do better.

Folty has a big ceiling, but was relatively bad last year.

Maybe you get five guys to really exceed what I think is most likely, but its not an especially good group I don't think absent big breakouts.
    If Gohara is healthy there is no way he is below average. He is the most talented pitcher with MLB innings the Braves have.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I think what he was saying is, yeah there's going to be regression from Tucker and Markakis and Flaherty, but the regression won't be as large if/when Acuna and Camargo are playing.
    Correct. Team performance is an aggregate of individual performances. When the roster changes some guys do better, and some worse, but the affect on the team is tough to predict unless you know who will be on the roster later. We have some ideas, but there will be more changes we don't yet know about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    any lineup with guys like Markakis, Suzuki and Flowers hitting in the middle of the order is likely to be below average

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    any lineup with guys like Markakis, Suzuki and Flowers hitting in the middle of the order is likely to be below average
    Flowers was 110 wRC+ in 2016 and 120 wRC+ in 2017.

Suzuki was at 129 wRC+ with a BABIP of .268 so who knows. I'd tend to think that will be a big outlier though.

Markakis figures to be slightly below average wRC+ but should get on base. one day, maybe, he won't be hitting in a power spot in the order.

Inciarte
    Albies
    Freeman
    Acuna/Tucker
    Flowers/Suzuki
    Markakis
    Swanson
    Flaherty / Camargo / etc

I don't think that's too bad. Granted much of that is based on the first three being awesome and to some extent Acuna and Tucker being pretty awesome and the catchers not regressing too much and Swanson being average or better.

I just think that getting rid of all those A. Garcia, R. Ruiz, J. Peterson, D. Santana, and league worst version of Swanson, at bats will help a good bit. The Braves will bat some guys who can't hit a fair number of times this year, but I don't think in nearly as many appearances. Could end up being wrong.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If Gohara is healthy there is no way he is below average. He is the most talented pitcher with MLB innings the Braves have.
    Talented perhaps. performance, we will see. I don't have great faith in his health and still worry about walks and teams picking on him as they scout his pitches.

But I also view him as a major breakout candidate for the reasons you mention.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Flowers was 110 wRC+ in 2016 and 120 wRC+ in 2017.

Suzuki was at 129 wRC+ with a BABIP of .268 so who knows. I'd tend to think that will be a big outlier though.

Markakis figures to be slightly below average wRC+ but should get on base. one day, maybe, he won't be hitting in a power spot in the order.

Inciarte
    Albies
    Freeman
    Acuna/Tucker
    Flowers/Suzuki
    Markakis
    Swanson
    Flaherty / Camargo / etc

I don't think that's too bad. Granted much of that is based on the first three being awesome and to some extent Acuna and Tucker being pretty awesome and the catchers not regressing too much and Swanson being average or better.

I just think that getting rid of all those A. Garcia, R. Ruiz, J. Peterson, D. Santana, and league worst version of Swanson, at bats will help a good bit. The Braves will bat some guys who can't hit a fair number of times this year, but I don't think in nearly as many appearances. Could end up being wrong.
    Great. Now take a look at the middle of the orders for the best lineups.

Post those wRC+ values.

I'll wait.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Great. Now take a look at the middle of the orders for the best lineups.

Post those wRC+ values.

I'll wait.
    I did not predict the Braves would have one of the "best" lineups. I predicted they'd be top half of the league in runs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    In 2017, the average 2-5 hitters in the "good" NL lineups posted an OPS of .813.

How many guys do the Braves have that project to be middle of the order hitters? One. Freddie Freeman.

I'll agree with nsacpi...any order with Markakis, Suzuki and Flowers making up the heart of it won't be "good".

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    In 2017, the average 2-5 hitters in the "good" NL lineups posted an OPS of .813.

How many guys do the Braves have that project to be middle of the order hitters? One. Freddie Freeman.

I'll agree with nsacpi...any order with Markakis, Suzuki and Flowers making up the heart of it won't be "good".
    If that means you do not believe that the Braves will be 15th or above in runs scored then we are in mild disagreement.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Freeman should easily be .900+, and I think the team will have a good number of guys around ~.750 (Albies, Acuņa, Flowers, Swanson), and a couple more who should be around .700 (Inciarte, Kakes). I still think the rotation stands to be the weaker link.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If that means you do not believe that the Braves will be 15th or above in runs scored then we are in mild disagreement.
    Ahh, so you're going way out on a limb and projecting them to score ~20 more runs then last year.

Very insightful haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Phil
    2:22 Braves off to a hot start. If they keep tearing the cover off the ball could a wild card berth be realistically in play?
    Tim Dierkes
    2:24 I'm going to surprise myself and say yes. They'd basically have to outplay their projection by 10 games. I find that unlikely but not out of the question, especially with powder dry for midseason additions, and no Acuna yet. That said...Markakis, Preston Tucker, Ryan Flaherty, I think these are all below-average hitters on nice little 30-40 PA runs. But for Freeman to win an MVP, Swanson and Albies to fully break out, Acuna to come up and mash, I could see it.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    My thought is Flaherty and Markakis aren't real (Markakis as a bat is real, but Markakis with power isn't). Tucker is a maybe, but it might just be as a platoon bat (on the good side to be, though). But in Flaherty's case, he could be replaced soon anyway (however then we have Camargo, who we have all discussed BABIP with too).
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    More likely to lose 90 than win 90 games.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    More likely to lose 90 than win 90 games.
    Where have you been. Oh. Wait. We have been winning. Never mind.
    Coppy