Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh the Millennials Won't Like This One!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Isn't the accuracy of the content directly related to which sources are reliable or not?
    didn't say otherwise. This discussion has been had here a million times.

Started watching Newsroom Season 1 this week.
    On last nights program/ rerun everyone CNN,Fox and MSNBC pronounced Gabby Giffords dead shortly after being shot.
    The fictional network waited because "Doctors pronounce people dead. Not news shows"

Made me think of Wilmer Flores and Mike Adams

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I really dislike Stewart. He is incredibly smarmy, have never found his shtick particularly informative. It's like, dude, you do realize that your show is on COMEDY CENTRAL, right? At least Colbert upped the comedy ante.

John Oliver, OTOH, does it right. Dude is exceptionally funny (like I be LOLing), delivers well, not obsessed with his bias.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (07-31-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    We agree on something! :D

Fox News is so blatantly disgusting, I simply can't understand how anyone can watch it without vomiting.
    Haha.
    I think considering Bill O'Reilly a trusted news source is far more offensive and harmful than considering Stewart one.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    didn't say otherwise. This discussion has been had here a million times.

Started watching Newsroom Season 1 this week.
    On last nights program/ rerun everyone CNN,Fox and MSNBC pronounced Gabby Giffords dead shortly after being shot.
    The fictional network waited because "Doctors pronounce people dead. Not news shows"

Made me think of Wilmer Flores and Mike Adams
    Good show, I have been meaning to get to Season 2.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Wow, just what this forum needs. Another discussion over what news sources are reliable and which ones aren't.
    It's a very, very, very important conversation to have given the zeitgeist.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (07-31-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    People too often confuse an opionator's point of view on the news as news.

50pound might remember news before Cronkite and Viet Nam. bu, he had precedence, Murrow.
    Drew Pearson

Who -What - When - Where and How

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    People too often confuse an opionator's point of view on the news as news.
    I don't want anybody's opinion on the news unless I'm watching an opinion program.

Cronkite was a pretty stoic anchorman, but he's also commonly credited with helping to turn the tide on American opinion in Vietnam with his pretty open and damning commentary on Tet.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-31-2015 at 05:07 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (07-31-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    If she doesn't think Stewart if funny she has no sense of humor at all. He pokes fun at everyone, including himself.

Count me in as not thinking he's particularly funny. Oh well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I really dislike Stewart. He is incredibly smarmy, have never found his shtick particularly informative. It's like, dude, you do realize that your show is on COMEDY CENTRAL, right? At least Colbert upped the comedy ante.

John Oliver, OTOH, does it right. Dude is exceptionally funny (like I be LOLing), delivers well, not obsessed with his bias.

Yep, I'm with you Hawk.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Haha.
    I think considering Bill O'Reilly a trusted news source is far more offensive and harmful than considering Stewart one.

O'Reilly is a turd.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

Different strokes. I find all three of them extremely funny.

I also don't think Stewart is actually all that smarmy (especially compared to John Oliver—who, as I said, I nevertheless really like), just exasperated. I also think he quite fully realizes his show is on Comedy Central, since he's made a big point of that fact (and his own status as a comedian, not a newsman) on numerous occasions.
    Last edited by jpx7; 07-31-2015 at 08:59 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Count me in as not thinking he's particularly funny. Oh well.
    To each his own. I like Stewart's humor because he makes fun of the pompous, the sanctimonious and people who have no self-awareness. But I might change my mind if I thought he was going after me or any of my peeps.

I used to tolerate Bill Maher but now find him insufferable.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (08-01-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Don't worry Bedell, when my generation takes over and runs the country, they'll **** it up just like your generation did. Then the up and comings kids will bitch about us and you can smile as you look down on us from heaven...if it existed.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (08-01-2015)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Different strokes. I find all three of them extremely funny.

I also don't think Stewart is actually all that smarmy (especially compared to John Oliver—who, as I said, I also really like), just exasperated. I also think he quite fully realizes his show is on Comedy Central, since he's made a big point of that fact (and his own status as a comedian, not a newsman) on numerous occasions.
    I recently read that Obama summoned Stewart to the White House on several occasions that just happened to coincide with times when the administration was pushing key pieces of legislation. Of course, Stewart has openly mocked characterizations of the meetings as secret (language used by the NYT, among others) by employing his same old 'Because I'm a maniacal liberal!' routine, but I do think he likely believes his platform is more serious than he gets credit for because of quiet meetings at the White House and covers of Time magazine.

If Stewart really is the 'Cronkite of the millenials' I think that speaks to the lack of seriousness that many young Americans engage in the process and bother to evolve their understanding of issues/individuals beyond one-liner quips and craftily edited video clips. The 'snark filter' as the personality interviewed in the OP link aptly put it.

It is what it is, I get that Stewart is perhaps the founding father of political new journalism, but I still reserve the right to backhand anybody who injects his perspective into big boy debate and expect for it to be treated as anything but comedic relief.
    Last edited by Hawk; 07-31-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    To each his own. I like Stewart's humor because he makes fun of the pompous, the sanctimonious and people who have no self-awareness. But I might change my mind if I thought he was going after me or any of my peeps.

I used to tolerate Bill Maher but now find him insufferable.
    I like Maher, mainly because his show doesn't ever seem to be entirely about him -- he's got the panel, and just kind of kicks back and tosses in the occasional glib haymaker before stepping back out of the ring with nary a bruised knuckle.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    This lady is all over the place. Kinda makes my head spin.....

I like Stewart, and I'll admit I love that he picks on Fox, and Conservatives in general. Fox, and some of their viewers, take themselves so seriously that it's either nauseatingly embarrassing, or downright hilarious. (Germany gets more sun than the US? HAHAHAHAHAHA)

But I agree with Hawk, it would be pretty sad if he were seen as a Cronkite of sorts. The daily show might show an alternate viewpoint, but the presentation should be comedy first, politics second. Afterall, that's how Fox does it. >:)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    People that crap on Fox News, just curious what cable news do you watch instead?

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    People that crap on Fox News, just curious what cable news do you watch instead?
    You do know you don't have to watch cable news. You don't have to have your uneducated opinions "vindicated" by fat headed, beady eyed blowhards.
    Last edited by Gary82; 07-31-2015 at 11:10 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-01-2015)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Fox was part of the above discussion. It's not like the others are free of blemish. But I've never intentionally watched MSNBC, and I only like small bits of HLN or local news.

I live in conservative country, and it absolutely kills me how addicted conservatives are to their Koolaid. Probably as addicted as I am to my smart phone. At the hospital I work at, the employees turn it on in the ER lobby. Patients come in and watch hour after hour of it in their own rooms. Employees can't wait for lunch, so they can go to the cafeteria and hear the word Benghazi about 50 or 60 times in a 30 minute chunk. So therefore, it's shoved down my throat all day long, and quite frankly, if they'd just do small adjustments and spend more time on actual news stories, they'd make less of a laughing stock of themselves. But they insert so much emotion, voice tone bending so it's obvious how they feeeeeel, instead of just sticking to the subject.. Would that be so hard?

I personally get 99 percent of my news from Twitter from a wide range of sources. Hard to be biased from any major news source in 140 characters when reporting whats going on. I follow Fox News Alert on Twitter, but frankly, even they do a poor job.

To each their own. I find my self torn. I align more with conservative view points than I used to. I just hate Fox, Rush, etc.... mainly because I don't want all my opinions to be spoon fed from people who should do a better job.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    You do know you don't have to watch cable news. You don't have to have your uneducated opinions "vindicated" by fat headed, beady eyed blowhards.

I get that, but all media is biased.