Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Generic minor league thread - Until the Great Rico returns

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Shewmake is also almost 22 and out of college, not 17 and out of HS. he could easily not really "bulk up" for a while. and why can't he play 3B again? i'll try and find an answer from someone who may actually know what they're talking about.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Shewmake is also almost 22 and out of college, not 17 and out of HS. he could easily not really "bulk up" for a while. and why can't he play 3B again? i'll try and find an answer from someone who may actually know what they're talking about.
    Shewmake is 6-4, 190. I honestly hope he does bulk up. I want him to outgrow SS. If he adds a bunch of muscle, adds more loft to his swing, and develops 20-25 HR power, we're starting to see why Zobrist was thrown around as a comp. I'd gladly trade his ability to stick at SS for an increase in power.

Per MLB Pipeline: "His arm is more accurate than strong, leading some scouts to project him as a second baseman"

If arm strength is a question for him at SS, it's an even bigger question at third. Maybe he'll add more arm strength or maybe the reports are wrong. Just saying that's why some doubt him on the left side of the infield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    A-Rod was still playing short despite bulking up during his Texas years (yeah roids I know).

Tejeda (also roids) was a bulky guy at one point playing short.

I'm sure a few others I'm missing have done so as well.
    There are examples of big SSs, but they're the exception. I'd like to see Shewmake put on about 20-30 pounds. Get to 6-4, 210-220. That would be roughly Chipper Jones size. It's hard to be a SS at that size. Not impossible, but difficult.

I honestly think whether he sticks at short or not to be fairly insignificant at this point. If he adds muscle resulting in a power jump and keeps his hit tool, he'll see the field. Keep an eye on his bat. That's what will carry him to the majors.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    There are examples of big SSs, but they're the exception. I'd like to see Shewmake put on about 20-30 pounds. Get to 6-4, 210-220. That would be roughly Chipper Jones size. It's hard to be a SS at that size. Not impossible, but difficult.

I honestly think whether he sticks at short or not to be fairly insignificant at this point. If he adds muscle resulting in a power jump and keeps his hit tool, he'll see the field. Keep an eye on his bat. That's what will carry him to the majors.
    I was at the Rome game yesterday. The Shewmake homer was an opposite field shot down the LF line. Mejia threw 7 shutout innings, allowing (I think) three hits and no walks.

UPDATE: Mejia allowed 4 hits with 6Ks, and 0 BBs. Also, Shewmake doesn't look he's 190. He's pretty thin.
    Last edited by JCarbo76; 08-12-2019 at 07:53 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JCarbo76 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    He is just getting his feet wet. Kid has been a phenom since he was drafted.

I believe he will be up before the end of August. We need help if we want to win a world series this year. Teams don't care as much about service time with pitchers and its likely he will start the year in AAA next year anyway so starting his clock now won't mean as much.

What I really think the team needs to do is end this silly notion that Wilson is a starting pitcher. Let him go 2+ innings out of the pen. We have seen he is able to get guys out 1st/2nd time through the order. We need guys in the pen that can get outs.
    Why is this a silly notion? He's 21 and he's had more success than pretty much any of our current minor league SP prospects so far, save Anderson.

I have no issue in letting him help the pen for remainder of the year. But to act like he has no future as a SP is.... well a silly notion.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-12-2019), jpx7 (08-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Why is this a silly notion? He's 21 and he's had more success than pretty much any of our current minor league SP prospects so far, save Anderson.

I have no issue in letting him help the pen for remainder of the year. But to act like he has no future as a SP is.... well a silly notion.
    Disagree...guy is barely a 2 pitch pitcher. Hes got a great fastball and thats why he needs to be bullpen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Disagree...guy is barely a 2 pitch pitcher. Hes got a great fastball and thats why he needs to be bullpen.
    It isn't unknown that a 21 year old pitcher improves his secondary pitches.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-12-2019), jpx7 (08-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    He's a 4 pitch pitcher. And if he can improve just one of those secondary offerings... as a 21 year old... he can be a very successful starter.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-12-2019), JohnAdcox (08-12-2019), jpx7 (08-12-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Wilson certainly could still end up a SP. it is way to early to say he can’t. But he can help this bullpen down the stretch. He could be a weapon the rest of the year for the MLB club. Then go back in the spring to trying to be a successful SP in MLB.

Difference makers out of the Pen could make this team a legit threat in October be it Wilson, Weigel, Anderson or whoever or none of the above.

The starters are all 4-6 inning guys in the playoffs sans maybe Soroka.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jpack1 For This Useful Post:

Carp (08-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack1 View Post
    Wilson certainly could still end up a SP. it is way to early to say he can’t. But he can help this bullpen down the stretch. He could be a weapon the rest of the year for the MLB club. Then go back in the spring to trying to be a successful SP in MLB.

Difference makers out of the Pen could make this team a legit threat in October be it Wilson, Weigel, Anderson or whoever or none of the above.

The starters are all 4-6 inning guys in the playoffs sans maybe Soroka.
    Agreed. This year he could be a weapon in the pen. Next year he should be given more opportunities to develp as a starter.

The situation in the pen is pretty fluid. Sobotka, Webb, and Minter could displace some of the guys currently in the pen. Maybe Dayton too if he is able to come back from the injury.

And some of the guys starting in AAA, including Wilson, might be in the pen come September.

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It isn't unknown that a 21 year old pitcher improves his secondary pitches.
    Odds are highly against someone. Usually, someone flahses plus but is inconsistent. Hard to develop plus over time.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Agreed. This year he could be a weapon in the pen. Next year he should be given more opportunities to develp as a starter.

The situation in the pen is pretty fluid. Sobotka, Webb, and Minter could displace some of the guys currently in the pen. Maybe Dayton too if he is able to come back from the injury.

And some of the guys starting in AAA, including Wilson, might be in the pen come September.
    Minter has burned us too much this season. Can be nasty, but just hasn't been effective.

Webb, Walker, Sobo, Wilson, Weigel, Touki, etc... should all be considerations when trying to cobble together a playoff pen.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

We could always, ya know just wait and see?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Odds are highly against someone. Usually, someone flahses plus but is inconsistent. Hard to develop plus over time.
    Odds are against any pitching prospect. But the return to developing a starting pitcher is much higher than from developing a reliever. That's why Touki is back to starting in AAA and why guys like Wilson, Wright and Muller are being developed as starters.

At some point next season, however, some decisions will have to be made as to which ones are more suited for the pen.

It could come in spring training. They way I see it there will be one spot opened up in the major league rotation and 5 in the AAA rotation. And those six spots will have to be divided up between Anderson, Wilson, Wright, Touki, Muller, Ynoa, Weigel and Davidson. That's 8 for 6 spots as starters. So barring injury or trades two will get moved to the pen.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-12-2019 at 10:30 AM.

"I am your retribution."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    He has 3 pitches that project as average or better. And again, he's 21.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We could always, ya know just wait and see?
    Absolutely. There's zero reason to make any kind of final determinations at this point. The kid was just drafted a few months ago. It's fun to speculate and discuss but waiting and seeing is the only way to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    There's also nothing that says he can't be moved back to the rotation if he shows 3 or more effective pitches.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Didn’t see it anywhere else in this hodgepodge thread, but apparently Michael Harris has skipped Danville and been promoted to Rome.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Didn’t see it anywhere else in this hodgepodge thread, but apparently Michael Harris has skipped Danville and been promoted to Rome.
    He played late in the game yesterday. Made a good catch in RF. His family was seated behind us. I think he grounded out in his only AB.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JCarbo76 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Not much difference in level between Rome and Danville. He'll probably be in Rome most of next season. Close to home for him and his family.

It will be interesting what they do with Ball and Backstrom next year. I'm surprised Ball hasn't been promoted yet. It's possible he'll spend most of next year in the Florida State League along with the other more advanced college players we drafted this year (Langeliers, Shewmake, Kalish). This would allow Backstrom to play first for Rome next year. I'm guessing also that at some point Backstrom will be given some time in the outfield.

Edit: Ball promoted to Rome.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-12-2019 at 03:00 PM.

"I am your retribution."

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

buck75 (08-12-2019), Carp (08-12-2019), jpx7 (08-12-2019)