Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1957

Thread: Braves donate Justin Upton to Padres for prospects

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    We haven't announced the 2 year 30 million dollar Harang deal yet, and the lifetime contract that pays $9 million annually in dollars with a 8% escalator clause based on inflation of contracts per year, and an unlimited supply at the clubhouse buffet for Laird.
    Thanks. I needed that laugh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Its a one year rental. What was everyone expecting?
    Probably at least one healthy impact player.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-19-2014), bravesnumberone (12-19-2014), BremanFan88 (12-19-2014), Hawk (12-19-2014), Metaphysicist (12-19-2014)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Does anyone honestly think this is or should have been what we were holding out on last week?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Its a one year rental. What was everyone expecting?
    I'm thinking at least 1 guy that is healthy and has potential to be a role 6 player (first division regular).

They were supposedly waiting for a package better than what they got for Heyward, but I would take Miller over this dumpster fire of a package any day.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Prospect breakdown on Braves return:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/break...n-upton-trade/
    Oof. I wasn't am not that down on this trade (though I think some all-the-time-homers are all-the-time-homering), but McDaniel ranks these guys as Fried at 50 FV, and rest at 40 FVs. That is... not good.

50 FV for a pitcher is a #4 and #40 for a bat is a bench guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Wow, Hart did even worse than I thought he would. This trade makes the Heyward trade look a lot better and that's not a good thing.

BTW, I want to know what low-level prospect we gave up along with Justin. He better not be anyone good!
    Last edited by Braves1976; 12-19-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Well, he thinks you are a big meanie.
    If you can get that in writing it would make my week.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Oof. I wasn't am not that down on this trade (though I think some all-the-time-homers are all-the-time-homering), but McDaniel ranks these guys as Fried at 50 FV, and rest at 40 FVs. That is... not good.

50 FV for a pitcher is a #4 and #40 for a bat is a bench guy.
    Worse yet is watching the film of the prospects, especially Fried, and I didn't see anything (stuff, location, mechanics) that scream TOR type talent, in fact I didn't see anything that screams middle of the rotation type potential...more in the lines of a Scott Diamond/Jo-Jo Reyes/the scrub that we traded to the Twins for Doumit (sorry his name escaped by memory).

And it appears we got another pitcher that whips his arm after delivering the ball, explains the arm and forearm troubles so early in his career.
    Last edited by Millwood1Hitter; 12-19-2014 at 12:23 PM.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Worse yet is watching the film of the prospects, especially Fried, and I didn't see anything (stuff, location, mechanics) that scream TOR type talent, in fact I didn't see anything that screams middle of the rotation type potential...more in the lines of a Scott Diamond/Jo-Jo Reyes/the scrub that we traded to the Twins for Doumit (sorry his name escaped by memory).
    Gilmartin

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Fried is not really even close to being the same as any of those guys.

If he busts, then he busts the opposite way of those guys

Creepy Lurking Stalker OkieBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcollier View Post
    Speaking of payroll, where will the Braves' payroll end up? Hart and Co. specifically said that the payroll wouldn't drop below the $112 million (or so) mark from 2014. I guess we are at about $88 million now?
    24 million dollars to spend... or to save for "the future". How the Braves at this point can't put money with B.J. and/or Johnson to get them moved is crazy to me. Even if we had to eat HALF of their contracts it would be worth it. We would still be saving money. I'm not sure that we are done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    So I'm betting Jace will platoon with CJ over at third.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I think people are underrating Jace Peterson quite a bit. He has a pretty decent bat with good on base skills. First glance, he seems like a more versatile version of La Stella.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

emk418 (12-19-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Does anyone honestly think this is or should have been what we were holding out on last week?
    No, this is what you get when you wait too long to make a deal and everyone has moved onto Plans B and C.

The Padres already had Kemp and Myers, do you think they really gave up their best package to acquire a 3rd corner OFer and move Myers to CF?

Hell no. Hart ****ed up by waiting too long, all the JUp suitors filled their open spots, and he had to take whatever the Padres were still willing to give him.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Look guys....Max Fried is a top flight pitching prospect. The guy could be special. it sucks he's out this year but he has clear front line potential and will come quick once he's healthy. If he didn't get hurt there's a very good chance we don't get a guy like him for a rental.

The other pieces will take time. Dustin has some talent but is a ways away. Mallex Smith could be a real great addition here. He'll start in AA this year after playing in the AFL. He again could come very quick and I love having a prototypical leadoff hitter who walks a lot. This guy could end up being a steal. I also really like Jace Peterson. Not sure what the plan is and where he'll play but he's exactly the type of player we need. Another high average/OBP/contact guy that can play SS/2b/3B.

Yes it would have been nice to get a big piece like Walker or someone like that but we added a ton of depth with this move while taking advantage of the opportunity to get a guy like Fried because he's hurt. This could be a very good trade for us.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to emk418 For This Useful Post:

skillet (12-19-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I'll preface this by saying that my preference was 100% to extent Justin. I don't know why we didn't, I'm sure it could've been done.

However, as far as the trade goes, I really don't know what you guys expected. Someone mentioned it's similar to the package we sent FOR JUp, but I don't agree at all. That package included an up-and-down ML player that needed a contract (Prado) and two INFs outside the BA top 100 (at the time, think Drury might be in now) for three (3) years of Upton. We just traded ONE year of Upton for a more desirable package than that.

If we weren't going to extent him, one year of Upton does us no good except a comp. pick, and to say that comp. pick is worth more than any guys in this deal is a HUGE stretch. Like, a stretch the most flexible gymnast can't make.

I also thinks this betters our situation with CJ. If he starts hitting and a contender wants him, it's easy to deal him now. If he's terrible again, I really think we will DFA him and roll with Peterson or Kubitza.

Prospects is a numbers game. Even really highly-touted prospects flame out (MANY people are down on Wil Myers right now, for a plethora of reasons). The four guys we just got all have good-to-great upsides. Our farm is very well re-stocked and it was barren before this off-season. I'm still not a fan of the Heyward trade, because I personally would have made every effort to extent him because I think he will take off value-wise. However, other than extenting Justin, this is probably the 2nd best outcome, IMO. I trust our guys if they really like Fried, which they clearly do.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

Heyward (12-19-2014), skillet (12-19-2014), thethe (12-19-2014), weso1 (12-19-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    No, this is what you get when you wait too long to make a deal and everyone has moved onto Plans B and C.

The Padres already had Kemp and Myers, do you think they really gave up their best package to acquire a 3rd corner OFer and move Myers to CF?

Hell no. Hart ****ed up by waiting too long, all the JUp suitors filled their open spots, and he had to take whatever the Padres were still willing to give him.
    Yep. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he had a better offer on the table two weeks ago.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-19-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

And it appears we got another pitcher that whips his arm after delivering the ball, explains the arm and forearm troubles so early in his career.
    Seriously? My guess is 0 MLB scouts/evaluators would agree that Fried is equal to Scott Diamond.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    It's crazy how ridiculous the posters on this board have gotten. It's sad to see this site going downhill as fast as it is. Very few people have anything intelligent to say, and nearly everyone just complains.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think people are underrating Jace Peterson quite a bit. He has a pretty decent bat with good on base skills. First glance, he seems like a more versatile version of La Stella.
    The problem with Peterson (if you want to put him at 3B) is his lack of power. His bat may play at SS with his solid defense, but do you really want that bat at 3B?

I know what his numbers look like in the minors, but he's at an advanced age and playing in a hitters league.

He's an interesting prospect because he's a good athlete, but there is nothing about him that screams anything other than possible starter at SS or utility guy. What makes him significantly better than Pastor?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe