Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Trade Deadline Rumors and Moves

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Again, you're assuming his public comments are his true beliefs. Coppy is clearly a bright guy. There's no way he believed this team could be decent. It obviously wasn't.

He may have struck you as prideful, but he's also made a lot of moves clearly designed for long-term rewards at the expense of short-term losses. I don't see any evidence that he's trying to speed up the process. We were always likely to add money via trades because we're going to have a crap ton of payroll space and won't spend it all in FA.
    Also - it's tough to have a decent argument when you can always lean on "you are assuming ..."

The fact of the matter his, the evidence we have points closer to my opinion than yours. He's emphatically and publicly stated that Teheran isn't going anywhere. He's said he wants Teheran to open up the new park. He hasn't traded Teheran. He traded for Kemp.

You might be right, that I'm wrong. But nothing in reality has shown that yet. Perhaps Coppy should stop talking so much

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Boston isnt trading Benedinti or Moncada for him.

LA wont trade Seager.

Texas has been in on Sale.

Cubs havent been in on Julio or any SP's much.

So your point is wrong.

Whose to say no one gave the offers for him. But its because Coppy wont trade him.
    Yeah cause we want an A+ player and that's all?? There are more players than those mentioned. Why would the Dodgers trade Seager for anyone?? Sale is a pipe dream...if we are asking for a kings ransom...the Sox are asking for the whole kingdom. We could get 3-5 B-B+ range prospects EASILY. The Yanks killed it and didn't trade for any of the guys mentioned.

****Either way you seem to just want to argue...I don't give a rats A$$ if you agree with me or not***
    Last edited by TheBravos; 07-31-2016 at 07:22 PM.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I can't find the link, but it was reported that two different GM's called about T-ran and was told he was not available. Heck, Coppy went out of his way again today and made yet another public statement that he wasn't being traded. No one hopes this is a front more than me, but after saying it so many times....I sure hope I wrong about this.
    Could have been the Angels and the Marlins.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think the deal to include BJ Upton for Kimbrel, the Olivera deal, getting Aybar back instead of another prospect, and trading for Kemp are all short sighted moves.
    Fair enough. I would agree on the Olivera deal, I think they just fell in love with a guy and were wrong. I don't really agree on Aybar, I think he was just a throw-in because the Angels didn't need a SS anymore and we did in the short term. I don't see Kemp as a short-sighted move, either. I can understand people's disagreement with it, but I think we realized we had room in the budget that we weren't going to fill through FA, we saw a chance to add a guy with RH pop that we do need, and we decided it was worth it. It may not turn out to be a good deal, it may work out for us. I think more than likely, it just ends up being a wash.

And on BJ, it's just too hard to know. It's possible that including him was done with a very long-term view in that we were looking to save money to use in the international market. Hard to say.

Regardless, even if you believe those are all short-sighted moves, we have clearly made plenty of moves with a very long-term view. Reducing payroll to blitz the international market, including picks in returns on trades, giving up a good controllable young pitcher for prospects, etc.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    Could have been the Angels and the Marlins.
    I think the Marlins were one of the teams...

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I can't find the link, but it was reported that two different GM's called about T-ran and was told he was not available. Heck, Coppy went out of his way again today and made yet another public statement that he wasn't being traded. No one hopes this is a front more than me, but after saying it so many times....I sure hope I wrong about this.
    And I am certain no GM has ever made a statement designed to put pressure on another GM either.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The fact of the matter his, the evidence we have points closer to my opinion than yours. He's emphatically and publicly stated that Teheran isn't going anywhere. He's said he wants Teheran to open up the new park. He hasn't traded Teheran. He traded for Kemp.
    That is only some of the evidence. He also said we wouldn't trade Kimbrel and then we did. He said we were trying to build a competitive team now and then traded Simmons and Miller and everybody else. What he says publicly obviously doesn't mean that's what he's thinking.

And yes, he traded for Kemp. He also made 1,000 moves clearly not intended in any way to help us compete now.

I just don't get why so many around baseball seem to believe Coppy is building the right way and making great move after great move, yet so many of our own fans believe he's short-sighted and jeopardizing the long-term rebuild.

You don't have to agree with all the moves, that's fine. But it seems clear to me he's building for the long haul and setting us up very well down the road. Heck, a bunch of people are angry that he's pushing our window so far out.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Also - it's tough to have a decent argument when you can always lean on "you are assuming ..."

You might be right, that I'm wrong. But nothing in reality has shown that yet. Perhaps Coppy should stop talking so much
    Exactly....at some point...why say it over and over and over again, unless you mean it. I don't think he is being offered...at all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yeah cause we want an A+ player and that's all?? There are more players than those mentioned. Why would the Dodgers trade Seager for anyone?? Sale is a pipe dream...if we are asking for a kings ransom...the Sox are asking for the whole kingdom. We could get 3-5 B-B+ range prospects EASILY. The Yanks killed it and didn't trade for any of the guys mentioned.

****Either way you seem to just want to argue...I don't give a rats A$$ if you agree with me or not***
    If we trade Teheran and get nothing better than a B+ prospect back, I'll be pissed. As everyone should and would be.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (07-31-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

Well if Boston wont include Bene or Moncada, no sense in trading with them.

LA same.

Unless Texas included Brinson, Mazara, or Profar+++ no sense in dealing with them either.

If we trade Julio and get a bunch of B type prospects then better off just keeping him.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Clint Frazier is a B+ prospect and is a STUD that the Yanks have raved about. We only have one A in our whole system, yet we have a heralded farm system. I would rather have a package of 4-5 B+'s than one A and parts. There isn't "that" much difference and gives you a better chance of them making it. I DO think the best deal will come in the winter meetings...I just hope we are listening.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 07-31-2016 at 07:57 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    That is only some of the evidence. He also said we wouldn't trade Kimbrel and then we did. He said we were trying to build a competitive team now and then traded Simmons and Miller and everybody else. What he says publicly obviously doesn't mean that's what he's thinking.

And yes, he traded for Kemp. He also made 1,000 moves clearly not intended in any way to help us compete now.

I just don't get why so many around baseball seem to believe Coppy is building the right way and making great move after great move, yet so many of our own fans believe he's short-sighted and jeopardizing the long-term rebuild.

You don't have to agree with all the moves, that's fine. But it seems clear to me he's building for the long haul and setting us up very well down the road. Heck, a bunch of people are angry that he's pushing our window so far out.
    My concern is that Teheran will never have more value than he has right now. He's really our only ticket to get some legit hitting back in a deal. If we don't trade him, then we are wasting his value by having him on the league's worst team.

And that's the best case scenario... the worst case scenario is he blows out his arm or starts pitching like he did last year again.

And before you or heyward say it... I'm not suggesting to trade him for nothing. But I think it's clear that the market is willing to pay for pitching. I'd find it hard to believe we couldn't find something that works. I would have been happy with the package the yanks got for Miller. And Teheran should have much more value than miller.

My concern is one of two things... Coppy is asking for a laughable overpay where teams don't even bother... or he has delusions that we closer than we really are...

After all, they did take that collective vow.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    I know that all of our players will likely pass waivers, but this trading deadline will be a waste if we still have AJ, Aybar, Frenchy, Johnson, EOF, etc. on the team Tuesday night vs. Pittsburgh.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    As opposed to when the internet was around and called Davies/Horam/Lerew/Reyes future studs? I mean, it goes both ways.
    Horacio had an awesome start to 2004. He got hurt and was never the same pitcher after.

Lerew had 2 pitches and nothing else.

Davies was an enigma. Could look really good then lIke Folty look terrible.

JoJo disappointed me the most. He had one of the purest deliveries I've seen for a lefty, he just had no idea how to pitch.
    Forever Fredi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (07-31-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    I know that all of our players will likely pass waivers, but this trading deadline will be a waste if we still have AJ, Aybar, Frenchy, Johnson, EOF, etc. on the team Tuesday night vs. Pittsburgh.
    I would dfa aj when flowers gets back. I would dfa EoF 30 mins after the deadline. I don't think Johnson will be here

18. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (07-31-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Yes epic fail, but they have also said they won't trade Franchy unless we get a top ten farm prospect. After all...he is hitting like .230 with a few dingers AND character.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I'm sure it'll start a conversation, but it's unbelievable to me how horrible J-Hey has been this year. I'm watching Sunday Night Baseball, and dude has been just terrible.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I'm sure it'll start a conversation, but it's unbelievable to me how horrible J-Hey has been this year. I'm watching Sunday Night Baseball, and dude has been just terrible.
    He should have never changed his stance... it kind of worked for St. Louis but he's had so many stance changes now.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Just a heads up that Inciarte has been playing very well the last month plus. That plus his defense still makes him our lead off guy IMO.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    THERE is a perfect example of how we sold high on a good player. How would the rebuild look without that trade? To me this is a key moment in our rebuild to not trade T-ran this year. There won't be a better time, and it could give us the extra prospects to go get a Sale in 2018 if pitching hasn't panned out (which I think it will). You will never go wrong selling high in a sellers market. They gambled "a little" that Heyward had peaked. You are right though...man...he's rough.