Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swanson And Long-Term Commitments

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Swanson And Long-Term Commitments

Kinda wonder if the brass would consider offering Dansby a deal similar to the one the Rays gave Evan Longoria before they promoted him. Doing so would eliminate any concerns either side would have about there ever being contentious arbitration obstacles as well as giving him enough financial security to possibly be the first of the many "homegrown kids" (Mac, Frenchy, Heyward) to turn out to be a Brave for life.

If you follow Longoria's initial contract and bump the salaries 25% for inflation, you'd be looking at:

2017 - $625,000
    2018 - $687,500
    2019 - $1,187,500
    2020 - $2,500,000
    2021 - $5,625,000
    2022 - $7,500,000
    2023 - $9,375,000 ($3 million buyout)
    2024 - $13,750,000 (club option)
    2025 - $14,375,000 (club option)

If both options were picked up, that'd pay him $55,625,000 through his age 31 season - which would cover exactly the same age Simmons would have been at the end of his deal if he had been kept.

That would put the organization in great position to extend Freeman and Teheran for an extra few years at the end of their current deals (if that made sense, of course). If you could lock up say Albies and/or Smith early and get one or two of the arms to sign Teheran-like extensions after their first year or two, you'd be WAY ahead of the game.
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-19-2016 at 07:58 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Longoria was drafted in 2006. He played in the minors in 2006 and 2007. He started the 2008 season in AAA, but was promoted April 12. He signed his first long-term deal on April 18 2008. By that point he had accumulated 556 plate appearances in AA and 158 in AAA in addition to a handful at the ML level.

I do think the subject of extenting some of the young talent coming up is an interesting and important one. In general, these early extensions have worked out well for the teams. So I would favor getting them done in most cases. But probably not before the player has shown something at the ML level. And certainly not before he even plays at the AA level.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-19-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Why are we even thinking about 2025?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

buck75 (03-21-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    clvclv and i obviously have too much time on our hands...why does it matter to you...if you want to discuss 2016 why not start your own thread or add to the discussion in one that already exists

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-20-2016), jpx7 (03-21-2016)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    clvclv and i obviously have too much time on our hands...why does it matter to you...if you want to discuss 2016 why not start your own thread or add to the discussion in one that already exists
    Because nobody's ever yet to show me why I should give 2 ****s about what so and so player will make in year XXX. That's why there's no urge to start a new thread on a subject that does not matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Because nobody's ever yet to show me why I should give 2 ****s
    so why bother interjecting your presence into a thread you don't give 2 ****s about. None of us give a **** about whether you give a **** about what we are discussing...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-21-2016), yeezus (03-21-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Because nobody's ever yet to show me why I should give 2 ****s about what so and so player will make in year XXX. That's why there's no urge to start a new thread on a subject that does not matter.
    Uh, if you don't understand at this point why fans should care about how long certain players are under team control and how much of our budget they take up, I can't help you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Do you do anything other than posting snide remarks on posts you never had to read in the first place or that matter to you at all??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    What I gather from your reply is that you do not and do not choose to contribute anything positive to the board. I think I actually prefer Niners to you.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Yo mama.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Longoria was drafted in 2006. He played in the minors in 2006 and 2007. He started the 2008 season in AAA, but was promoted April 12. He signed his first long-term deal on April 18 2008. By that point he had accumulated 556 plate appearances in AA and 158 in AAA in addition to a handful at the ML level.

I do think the subject of extenting some of the young talent coming up is an interesting and important one. In general, these early extensions have worked out well for the teams. So I would favor getting them done in most cases. But probably not before the player has shown something at the ML level. And certainly not before he even plays at the AA level.
    I think this is exactly what's driving the demotions of all three of Swanson, Albies, and Smith at this point, but Swanson in particular. While he won't reach quite the same number of ABs Longoria got to in AA without spending the entire season in Mississippi, I'm not sure the exact number of them is as important in Dansby's case. Don't get me wrong - I'm not discounting your point about wanting to see him have some success against better competition at all - I'm just not sure it has to be quite as extended as in Longoria's case. Given the fact that he was in our backyard, we've been scouting him for 6 years already and probably have as good a feel for what he is as anyone out there. We saw him struggle a little early in camp and it looked like he was pressing a bit IMO. It would've been easy to simply chalk it up to "a learning experience" and leave it at that, but he kept grinding and closed really strong despite bouncing between positions.

I do think you're completely right about him needing to be successful for an extended period at at least the AA level, but I don't know that there's a specific number of PAs or ABs that goes along with that to be able to quantify the line of thinking that a deal like that could turn out to be beneficial to the organization over the long haul. I thought Bowden and Duquette made some really good points on XM about Swanson when they were in camp earlier this week - their general take was that while neither expect him to be that elite "star" at SS (Correa/Lindor/Seager), they described him as one of those "winning players", the type that will have some standout seasons and make several All-Star appearances and will be one of those cornerstone glue guys when you get talent around him. A couple names they mentioned as comps were Nomar and Jeter when compared to A-Rod - not necessarily the "best", but players who were arguably as important when you looked at the total package.

To me, that sounds a lot like Longoria - which is why I wonder if the brass might value Dansby much the same way.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Yo mama.
    Yo greasy granny

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (03-21-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I'm assuming AA is where Swanson will be sent. It would be a good test to see what we have. In his 2007 stint in AA Longoria put up a slash line of .307/.403/.528 with 21 HRs.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    This got me thinking about what would have happened if we had locked up Heyward. Actually IMO it could have still worked out the same. St. Louis wanted Heyward and had excess starters. We were coming off a bad year including losing a ton of starters to injuries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
    This got me thinking about what would have happened if we had locked up Heyward. Actually IMO it could have still worked out the same. St. Louis wanted Heyward and had excess starters. We were coming off a bad year including losing a ton of starters to injuries.
    In general these kinds of early extensions have worked well for the teams. There are exceptions, but given the overall results I think it is worth considering doing them with most of the better prospects. They are much less likely to become albatross contracts than with older free agents, which means that you also have the option of trading some of these players for something of value (as we did with Simmons and Kimbrel).

If you look at the early extensions we've done (McCann, Freeman, Simmons, Kimbrel, Teheran), you can't help but be impressed with how well things have turned out for the team.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-20-2016 at 11:06 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'm assuming AA is where Swanson will be sent. It would be a good test to see what we have. In his 2007 stint in AA Longoria put up a slash line of .307/.403/.528 with 21 HRs.
    Would make for a really interesting discussion if Dansby puts up something along the lines of a .300-ish/.380-ish/.420-ish slash with 12-15 bombs while playing well defensively at SS in Mississippi IMO. If he's able to accomplish or even exceed that, that type of investment almost becomes a no-brainer to me.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    In general these kinds of early extensions have worked well for the teams. There are exceptions, but given the overall results I think it is worth considering doing them with most of the better prospects. They are much less likely to become albatross contracts than with older free agents, which means that you also have the option of trading some of these players for something of value (as we did with Simmons and Kimbrel).

If you look at the early extensions we've done (McCann, Freeman, Simmons, Kimbrel, Teheran), you can't help but be impressed with how well things have turned out for the team.
    Yeah, these deals are typically fantastic for teams. The deals typically are typically low enough in price that even if a prospect busts, the impact is minuscule, and if they do succeed the team has a very team-friendly deal. I'd imagine the reason we don't see that many is due to the player's side of things.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Honestly a fair thread, probably wont happen though

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Yo greasy granny
    Ya bald-headed mammy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Yeah, these deals are typically fantastic for teams. The deals typically are typically low enough in price that even if a prospect busts, the impact is minuscule, and if they do succeed the team has a very team-friendly deal. I'd imagine the reason we don't see that many is due to the player's side of things.
    The benefit for a guy like Longoria (or Swanson) in signing a deal like this is they are guaranteed their first fortune at a very young age...years before they would have been had they gone through arbitration. Some people would rather have $30M now vs $40M in 3 years if they play well and stay healthy.