Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how good will Wisler be this year?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I'll do backflips if he pitches 190 innings this year with only 50 BB.
    if he gets to 190, he'll walk around 70 guys. which would be OK for a young pitcher to do.

#s are obviously a random guess but I'll go:

160 IP, 115/60 K/BB, ~4.20 ERA.
    Check his walk rate last year, which was a rough one for him. He commands the zone very well and I expect that to continue or even improve a bit.

He could hit your numbers, but he could do a good bit more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    All your great LH relievers have walk rates of 5.
    Sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Check his walk rate last year, which was a rough one for him. He commands the zone very well and I expect that to continue or even improve a bit.

He could hit your numbers, but he could do a good bit more.
    Yeah, I know his control is good. But even guys who have good control can struggle with walks when they're young.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Just not my type of guy. A flyball pitcher that doesn't miss bats. He can probably be a decent back end guy if he can get his Ks up, but I'm much more excited about the higher upside guys we have in the pipeline. Folty has a better chance of putting up those numbers in the 3s than Wisler does, imo. The good thing with Folty is if he doesn't make it as a starter, he becomes an instant closer candidate.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    3.80 ERA, 12-9 W/L record, 205 innings pitched

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-30-2016), UNCBlue012 (03-30-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I could deal with that personally.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-30-2016), UNCBlue012 (03-30-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I could deal with that personally.
    I'd be ecstatic if he throws 205 innings.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (03-30-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Wisler is going to be a solid MOR guy (meaning a 3-4 on a contending team) that needs to be traded as soon as he hits his first or second year of arbitration. Just like Medlen, JJ, Beachy and Minor should have been handled before him.

I expect a ~4.00 FIP with ~180 IP and ~2 WAR. Leake, a guy who just signed a contract for 5/80, is actually a pretty good comp for what I think Wisler will become.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-30-2016), JohnAdcox (03-30-2016), UNCBlue012 (03-30-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Wisler is going to be a solid MOR guy (meaning a 3-4 on a contending team) that needs to be traded as soon as he hits his first or second year of arbitration. Just like Medlen, JJ, Beachy and Minor should have been handled before him.

I expect a ~4.00 FIP with ~180 IP and ~2 WAR. Leake, a guy who just signed a contract for 5/80, is actually a pretty good comp for what I think Wisler will become.
    Leake would be good for me. Except that I'd disagree with being in such a big hurry to trade him. Solid 3/4/5 guys are pretty important in getting you to the postseason. If you could count on that year-in and year-out from Wisler, that solves at least one of those slots. If Julio remains Julio (with a little overall improvement) and Blair is a little better than those numbers you're projecting for Matt, you have your 2/3/4 covered through at least 2020.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

I think he falls more into the MOR role, but he also reminds me quite a bit of Matt Cain. Hopefully he turns out just as good.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    I think he falls more into the MOR role, but he also reminds me quite a bit of Matt Cain. Hopefully he turns out just as good.
    I am much more of an optimist with him. I think he is just a competitor and smart. I think he settles into a sub 3.5 era for a nice stretch. if you want to call that a #2 or #3 then I don't care.. I just see him being very Glavine like.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Leake would be good for me. Except that I'd disagree with being in such a big hurry to trade him. Solid 3/4/5 guys are pretty important in getting you to the postseason. If you could count on that year-in and year-out from Wisler, that solves at least one of those slots. If Julio remains Julio (with a little overall improvement) and Blair is a little better than those numbers you're projecting for Matt, you have your 2/3/4 covered through at least 2020.
    The idea is you unload him for as much talent as you can before he gets hurt, and then replace him with Allard or whichever other prospect is ready. In the event no prospect is ready, you still trade him for as much talent as you can, and then sign an older MOR guy as a FA for 1-2 years.

It's not just about trading Wisler. It's about trading EVERY pitcher when they are 1-2 years away from FA as a rule. Doing that should allow another Wisler to be ready in the minors every time a trade like that is made.

Over time, your 5 man rotation should consist of guys at all levels of service time (from a rookie to a 4th-5th year guy), including a FA veteran on a short deal whenever a temporary hole needs to be filled. It is precisely what the Rays have been doing, but the Braves should have a larger budget that allows them to back-fill with higher quality short term veterans (like Beltre this coming offseason).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-30-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The idea is you unload him for as much talent as you can before he gets hurt, and then replace him with Allard or whichever other prospect is ready. In the event no prospect is ready, you still trade him for as much talent as you can, and then sign an older MOR guy as a FA for 1-2 years.

It's not just about trading Wisler. It's about trading EVERY pitcher when they are 1-2 years away from FA as a rule. Doing that should allow another Wisler to be ready in the minors every time a trade like that is made.

Over time, your 5 man rotation should consist of guys at all levels of service time (from a rookie to a 4th-5th year guy), including a FA veteran on a short deal whenever a temporary hole needs to be filled. It is precisely what the Rays have been doing, but the Braves should have a larger budget that allows them to back-fill with higher quality short term veterans (like Beltre this coming offseason).
    Agreed - just pointing out that there's a fine line between moving guys like Wisler too early and keeping the right guys that allow you to consistently have deep rotations. That's why I've been such a huge fan of what the brass has been doing - stockpiling high-upside arms. Even if none of these guys ever reach their absolute ceilings, we should have plenty of good options to fill in those 3-5 rotation slots for years to come. When you can run quality out there against most teams' back ends of their rotations, you stand to really clean up - making it much easier to consistently get to the playoffs even without a true "Ace". If/when we ever develop or sign one of those, watch out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I'll take that, please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    It's hard to evaluate because we have so much pitching coming up. As most of you know, I'm a fan of Wisler and I think he's smart enough to be a very productive 2-3 in this league for a long time, but we have guys coming up that could be absolute studs. I guess it depends on development. Nonetheless, it's a hell of a problem.