Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Stubbs

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Yeah, I hope they're not undervaluing Inciarte. The Bill Shanks rumor that had us essentially trading him for Kyle Tucker made me a little uneasy.
    UGH!!!

Sounds like something Shanks would come up with. What in the world did he use to try to explain how THAT would make any sense???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I think this a bad idea to continue to try and do. Eventually the team has to start making moves to help build their major league roster. Signing veterans from the scrapyard to try and trade them later isn't the answer. This is the Johns way of trying to outsmart other teams. I mean I understand this at some capacity, but not at the rate the Braves are trying to accomplish. All I am saying is that at some point the Braves need to bring in better major league players. Not just relying on a ton of unproven talent in the minor leagues.
    That will happen. We'll trade from minor league depth to acquire proven talent. Right now we have roster spots to work with and no ambitions for this year. Makes sense to try to turn those spots into something valuable for the future.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see us trade for a major leaguer or two at the deadline. Someone with several years left on their deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    UGH!!!

Sounds like something Shanks would come up with. What in the world did he use to try to explain how THAT would make any sense???
    He said that in the proposed 3 way trade with Braves, Brewers, and Astros that the Braves would have given up Inciarte with the return being primarily Kyle Tucker. Who knows what the other details looked like, but on the surface that's a little scary.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    That will happen. We'll trade from minor league depth to acquire proven talent. Right now we have roster spots to work with and no ambitions for this year. Makes sense to try to turn those spots into something valuable for the future.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see us trade for a major leaguer or two at the deadline. Someone with several years left on their deal.
    not sure it is worth trying to reason. He has never suggested how the Braves would acquire this MLB team. They can't trade from the prospects they have because that would validate everything he was against since he was never for acquiring said prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I really hope we don't trade inciarte before the season starts
    It better be a massive haul. Did looks to be really legit and he's a big personality for the team. (In a good way)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    They do need to bring in better players at some point. But that point appears to be off in the future. The FO has talked a good game about how they will not allow a repeat of last year, but I think this is what we are looking at.
    But guys like Stubbs and Francoeur (and Swisher and Bourn) really have no upside left. If the team is going to go this route, they should at least shake the trees to see if they can find younger guys who may develop into at least decent spare parts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    But guys like Stubbs and Francoeur (and Swisher and Bourn) really have no upside left. If the team is going to go this route, they should at least shake the trees to see if they can find younger guys who may develop into at least decent spare parts.
    if you could find those kinds of younger players wouldn't u want them in the minors where they could get lots of repetitions and possibly develop

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    if you could find those kinds of younger players wouldn't u want them in the minors where they could get lots of repetitions and possibly develop
    Younger as in Cunningham and guys like that. Guys who project as bench guys, but not guys who are winding down (or totally wound down). I'm not a big fan of Cunningham, but he could stand in the OF as well as Stubbs and he may still have something left to add to his development arc.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    not sure it is worth trying to reason. He has never suggested how the Braves would acquire this MLB team. They can't trade from the prospects they have because that would validate everything he was against since he was never for acquiring said prospects.

I laid out a plan awhile back. Sorry if you never saw it. I have zero idea where that post was and don't have a desire to look for it. It wasn't some great detailed plan either. And yes as of today I would try and deal some of these perceived young talented players for a major league player who has some roster control for a few seasons. But they wouldn't need to be trading if they would have kept certain players in the first place.

Anyway there is no reason to ask what I would have done or anyone else for that matter. Since it's over and done with. We and namely myself need to focus on the present.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I laid out a plan awhile back. Sorry if you never saw it. I have zero idea where that post was and don't have a desire to look for it. It wasn't some great detailed plan either. And yes as of today I would try and deal some of these perceived young talented players for a major league player who has some roster control for a few seasons. But they wouldn't need to be trading if they would have kept certain players in the first place.

Anyway there is no reason to ask what I would have done or anyone else for that matter. Since it's over and done with. We and namely myself need to focus on the present.
    Who are the certain players?

You weren't a fan of JUp, J-Hey, and Simmons to begin with.
    Forever Fredi

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

very reasonable of you..

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Who are the certain players?

You weren't a fan of JUp, J-Hey, and Simmons to begin with.

Shelby for one. Simmons I was a fan of. Didn't care for trading Kimbrel away either. Justin was overrated, but still good enough to keep. CJ can hit and that deal looks like a complete waste.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    very reasonable of you..
    Okay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Shelby for one. Simmons I was a fan of. Didn't care for trading Kimbrel away either. Justin was overrated, but still good enough to keep. CJ can hit and that deal looks like a complete waste.
    LMAO he still likes CJ ahaha

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    CJ can hit and that deal looks like a complete waste.
    And with that statement you have just removed any and all shred of doubt that you know absolutely nothing about baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Younger as in Cunningham and guys like that. Guys who project as bench guys, but not guys who are winding down (or totally wound down). I'm not a big fan of Cunningham, but he could stand in the OF as well as Stubbs and he may still have something left to add to his development arc.
    Yes, those are the kinds of players that make more sense given our current situation. Alternatively we can go for a higher quality vet than the waiver wired type (which we did with Jonny Gomes and Kelly Johnson last year) who potentially has some value at the deadline.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    And with that statement you have just removed any and all shred of doubt that you know absolutely nothing about baseball.

I definitely have lost a ton of interest in baseball for sure. I don't watch the Braves anymore because they aren't worth paying for the MLB package on television or using MLB.tv

To say I know nothing about baseball is completely asinine. I don't know why I took you off ignore. You may a know a lot about baseball, (at least you like to think so) but you are a jack ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I see the Reds waived Jake Cave. I believe he is the sort of playing you and I are both thinking about.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I see the Reds waived Jake Cave. I believe he is the sort of playing you and I are both thinking about.

wasn't Cave Rule 5? he would go back to whoever had him first

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    wasn't Cave Rule 5? he would go back to whoever had him first
    He can be claimed using the usual claiming procedure but must be kept on the 25 man or returned to the Yankees.