Thread: 2018 MLB Draft Thread

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Trey Riley?

Fastball/slider JUCO kid:

Riley is coming off a strong season at John A. Logan, where he went 6-2 with 117 strikeouts and 32 walks in 77.2 innings pitched. He finished with three complete games.

In NJCAA, Riley ranked ninth in the country in strikeouts and 11th in both strikeouts per nine innings (13.56) and ERA.
    I lived in Illinois for ten years and have nonetheless never heard of John A Logan College.
    Last edited by jpx7; 06-05-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Beck according to FG, "Oft-injured righty with bumps and bruises dating back to high school. One of better college curveballs in the class but fastball is straight and doesn't miss bats."

Average or worse fastball, above average to plus curve, average or worse change, and projects to below average command. He's the 20th oldest player of the 130 guys on FG's board, so there isn't likely to be much projection at all.

This is probably a "what you see is what you get" guy who won't even be as good as Wisler.

It's a 4th round pick, so it's pretty much what I expect to see at this point in the draft. After Day 1 it really doesn't matter.

Someone with some pull has obviously had a boner for Beck for a long time, and that guy just got his way.
    Klaw hating on bravesso far.

Loved first pick. Said in chat the second pick has no position or offspead recognition. Beck can’t miss bats as the above poster said.

We will see. I like the picks. I do not expect to hit on more than a couple. Sometimes you get a medlen sometimes a Braxton Davidson.

To me we have a ton of fifth starters already. Aa might be loading up the trade chips. Beck for moose, royals love college starters

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    334 Posts
    Beck according to FG, "Oft-injured righty with bumps and bruises dating back to high school. One of better college curveballs in the class but fastball is straight and doesn't miss bats."

Average or worse fastball, above average to plus curve, average or worse change, and projects to below average command. He's the 20th oldest player of the 130 guys on FG's board, so there isn't likely to be much projection at all.

This is probably a "what you see is what you get" guy who won't even be as good as Wisler.

It's a 4th round pick, so it's pretty much what I expect to see at this point in the draft. After Day 1 it really doesn't matter.

Someone with some pull has obviously had a boner for Beck for a long time, and that guy just got his way.
    Interesting that FG is so down on his change up. I've seen other services say it's his best secondary pitch.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If prospects rarely pan out after day 1 of the draft, why not draft guys that have big arms but major control problems, position players that are extremely athletic but can't hit, etc... buy lottery tickets

ETA... this could be the case already. I'm not an mlb draft guy... too long and boring
    Good to see Chuck Lamar is posting here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Trey Riley?

Fastball/slider JUCO kid:

I lived in Illinois for ten years and have nonetheless never heard of John A Logan College.
    John A. Logan has one of the better northern JC baseball programs. Lots of guys drafted over the years. Jamey Carroll is their most famous baseball alumnus.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-05-2018), Jaw (06-05-2018), jpx7 (06-05-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

I worry Beck is going to be one of those guys who eats it up at his first couple of minor league stops and then gets the snot knocked out of him at the big league level.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I loved the Beck pick and generally the first three picks. As for Beck, last word on baseball disagrees with FG on his change :
    "Beck possesses a legitimate four-pitch arsenal, leading with one of the premier changeups in the entire class. The change sits around the mid to low 80’s with good, late arm side fade. But Beck’s consistent arm speed is what gives his change its devastating deception. Hovering around the low 90’s, touching 94, Beck’s fastball is a solid offering, yet one with serious potential as Beck grows into his frame, adding velocity under pro instruction. For a third pitch that has only recently been added to his repertoire, Beck’s curveball offers deep 12-6 movement, and the potential to be a solid strikeout pitch with development. Lastly, the slider shows some promise with decent run, and velocity"

Always too soon to cry about a grade but I like what's being done at this point.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-05-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Klaw hating on braves so far.

Loved first pick. Said in chat the second pick has no position or offspead recognition. Beck can’t miss bats as the above poster said.

We will see. I like the picks. I do not expect to hit on more than a couple. Sometimes you get a medlen sometimes a Braxton Davidson.

To me we have a ton of fifth starters already. Aa might be loading up the trade chips. Beck for moose, royals love college starters

Gee - THAT's a first!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Klaw hated Riley also did he not??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    The Beck pick is fine. But he struck out 38 in 66 innings this year. Not really sure why there's so much over-the-top excitement about the pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    John A. Logan has one of the better northern JC baseball programs. Lots of guys drafted over the years. Jamey Carroll is their most famous baseball alumnus.
    Funny that you say northern: that delta area in Illinois is pretty damn southern. South of St Louis, on the Missouri side, you’re basically in Arkansas; and on the Illinois side, you’re basically in Kentucky/Tennessee.
    Last edited by jpx7; 06-05-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Klaw hated Riley also did he not??
    He gives him a lot of credit for improving his defense and says he’s likely avg there. Still thinks bat speed is an issue. Not in his top 100 but thinks he’s a big leaguer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    The Beck pick is fine. But he struck out 38 in 66 innings this year. Not really sure why there's so much over-the-top excitement about the pick.
    Same. I don’t hate it, but I don’t see much reason to feel like it’s a “steal” or to be over-the-moon about it.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Funny that you say northern: that delta area in Illinois is pretty damn southern. South of St Louis, on the Missouri side, you’re basically in Arkansas; and on the Illinois side, you’re basically in Kentucky/Tennessee.
    I keep forgetting that Cairo Illinois is closer to Mississippi than it is to Chicago.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Actually, The 22-year-old owns a 2.99 ERA over 84 innings. He’s struck out 66 and walked 29. Those numbers are a decline from his pre-injury freshman season, when he earned a 2.48 ERA with 76 strikeouts and 26 walks in one less inning. The thought is potential. No one is giving him the HOF plaque yet.

Also they got him in the 4th vs the 2nd round they evidently were going to do out of high school.
    Last edited by Deester11; 06-05-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Anybody draft Josh Anthony yet?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Actually, The 22-year-old owns a 2.99 ERA over 84 innings. He’s struck out 66 and walked 29. Those numbers are a decline from his pre-injury freshman season, when he earned a 2.48 ERA with 76 strikeouts and 26 walks in one less inning. The thought is potential. No one is giving him the HOF plaque yet.
    Right. Like I said, I'm fine with it. But the excitement is based on name recognition alone.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I keep forgetting that Cairo Illinois is closer to Mississippi than it is to Chicago.
    Almost equidistant from St Louis and Memphis, in fact.

And pronounced “Cay-roh”.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Right. Like I said, I'm fine with it. But the excitement is based on name recognition alone.
    I gotcha, but there are better names drafted before him who suck. Win -win? Lol