Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Free Agent Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The Posey idea has merit if the Giants decide to blow things up. Bumgarner too, though I’d be surprised if they dump resources into a SP.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-27-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    The Giants need to rebuild, I’d be pretty stoked at the idea of Posey.

Seattle has a few pieces if they tore it down, but that gm seems more likely to double down
    It will be interesting to see what they do. For example, if the all star break comes around and they are way out of it, do they go ahead and blow it up at that point? Do you see Longoria, McCutchen, etc. moved there. Then they move to other pieces such as Posey in the off season?

The Posey move makes too much sense for us to make so I doubt it will happen.;...Ga kid, position of need,.....yeah we don't need that
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    A friend of a friend told me he’d take a pay cut to play here. Grew up a Braves fan and all.
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I don't know why we would go after Kimbrel. I know the 2018 budget is strapped, but wouldn't it make just as much sense to wait until the QO penalty deadline passed and sign Holland?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't know why we would go after Kimbrel. I know the 2018 budget is strapped, but wouldn't it make just as much sense to wait until the QO penalty deadline passed and sign Holland?
    I think Holland is the type of reliever that might fall into the Braves orbit for next season, but can't see them really signing him in June unless they are doing a lot better than expected.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Posey is 31 and signed for awhile and might have to move to 1B soon.

Meh, Giants could blow it up though, eventually they will.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    MLBTR just updated their Top 10 FAs: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ankings-2.html

The talk of Grandal getting a deal in range of Mac's 5/85 makes me not want the Braves to sign him. I'd be fine with another 1-2 years of the Flowers/Suzuki duo.

Assuming none of the SPs or Kimbrel are realistic targets, and that a spot will be held open for Riley (and Donaldson falling victim to aging and injury), the only guy on the list that makes sense is Pollock.

Dude always gets hurt on injuries that should be considered freak injuries individually, but the track record certainly speaks for itself. Breaking bones isn't chronic like soft tissue injuries, but when you break a bone every year it becomes a bit of a pattern.

Pollock is a very hard player to value. How much do you ding him for his injury history? How much CF premium do you pay for a guy who will almost assuredly play LF the majority of his innings while Ender is on the roster? Is it OK to pay that CF premium if the idea is to give him time in CF and limit Inciarte's exposure to LHers?

He will be going into his age 31 season, and you have to figure Cain's 5/80 contract is very much a reasonable comp. Cain was a bit older, but also a lot more durable.

So with nowhere else to spend huge money, would the Braves give Pollock $15M-$18M per year? It might be the best upgrade they can make. An OF of Pollock/Inciarte/Acuna/Tucker is certainly a group to get excited about.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-07-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    Question for you based on your info. What should the Braves do this offseason? Legit question. I dont want them to spend money on someone thats not worth it, just because they have it to spend. Obviously better then just holding on to the moeny and doing nothing with it. Seems like a tough situation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    Question for you based on your info. What should the Braves do this offseason? Legit question. I dont want them to spend money on someone thats not worth it, just because they have it to spend. Obviously better then just holding on to the moeny and doing nothing with it. Seems like a tough situation.
    I'm hoping 3+ win corner OFer with 2-3 years of control becomes available via trade, and he has so little surplus value that he doesn't cost must in terms of prospects to acquire.

Barring that, I think I would find a short term option at 3B, get Flowers back, push for Pollock, and then grab whichever legit BP arm is sitting there late in the off season.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-08-2018), jpx7 (06-07-2018), TURBO (06-07-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    MLBTR just updated their Top 10 FAs: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ankings-2.html

The talk of Grandal getting a deal in range of Mac's 5/85 makes me not want the Braves to sign him. I'd be fine with another 1-2 years of the Flowers/Suzuki duo.

Assuming none of the SPs or Kimbrel are realistic targets, and that a spot will be held open for Riley (and Donaldson falling victim to aging and injury), the only guy on the list that makes sense is Pollock.

Dude always gets hurt on injuries that should be considered freak injuries individually, but the track record certainly speaks for itself. Breaking bones isn't chronic like soft tissue injuries, but when you break a bone every year it becomes a bit of a pattern.

Pollock is a very hard player to value. How much do you ding him for his injury history? How much CF premium do you pay for a guy who will almost assuredly play LF the majority of his innings while Ender is on the roster? Is it OK to pay that CF premium if the idea is to give him time in CF and limit Inciarte's exposure to LHers?

He will be going into his age 31 season, and you have to figure Cain's 5/80 contract is very much a reasonable comp. Cain was a bit older, but also a lot more durable.

So with nowhere else to spend huge money, would the Braves give Pollock $15M-$18M per year? It might be the best upgrade they can make. An OF of Pollock/Inciarte/Acuna/Tucker is certainly a group to get excited about.
    Pollock makes the most sense, but I don’t want him for five years. Four years would be the most and I would rather give him more
    money on a three year deal.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Posey is 31 and signed for awhile and might have to move to 1B soon.

Meh, Giants could blow it up though, eventually they will.
    Posey signed thru 2021 with a club option (3 mil buyout) for 2022. He will be 34 at the end of 2021...Kurt Suzuki’s age right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Not much on the FA marker I'm interested in, other than Pipe dreams like Machado and Harper. May be a veteran or 2 on a short deal, but not much else.

Much rather go the trade route. Starling Marte seems like he could be the big prize on the trade market this off-season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    the plan should be to acquire some good players on contracts with limited surplus value...that has the virtue of limiting the damage to our farm system
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-07-2018)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I believe Alex will sign some players like Zach Britton if healthy. He will continue developing our own players. Save some money for the trade deadline of 2019 and beyond. Riley will be our third base. Markakis will sign one more year until Pache is ready. Those are the type of move the team need to make until we feel the window is wide open to make a push.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think we are most likely to make trades that take on money than to sign fa outright.

I’m thinking a Longoria type deal

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I believe Alex will sign some players like Zach Britton if healthy. He will continue developing our own players. Save some money for the trade deadline of 2019 and beyond. Riley will be our third base. Markakis will sign one more year until Pache is ready. Those are the type of move the team need to make until we feel the window is wide open to make a push.
    If Markakis keeps hitting (and maybe even if he doesn’t keep up the pace), a team is going to give him a multi year deal. He may love Atlanta, but at some point you think about guaranteed money.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to IslandBrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I wish we had beaten the Pirates to Corey Dickerson when the Rays DFAd him. He would fit in nicely.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    If Markakis keeps hitting (and maybe even if he doesn’t keep up the pace), a team is going to give him a multi year deal. He may love Atlanta, but at some point you think about guaranteed money.
    I haven't had the problem with Markakis that many have and I don't expect him to keep up his performance this year, but there is probably a little more tread on his tires. That said, the market for Nick will be extremely limited. It will be interesting to see how the Braves approach his status in the off-season. I would be surprised if he gets anything more than one year at a rate lower than what he is earning on the current contract. It's a coin flip for me whether the Braves should bring him back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think we are most likely to make trades that take on money than to sign fa outright.

I’m thinking a Longoria type deal
    I agree. To the extent we sign free agents it is unlikely to be the premium guys. More likely candidates would be guys like Flowers and Suzuki.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I haven't had the problem with Markakis that many have and I don't expect him to keep up his performance this year, but there is probably a little more tread on his tires. That said, the market for Nick will be extremely limited. It will be interesting to see how the Braves approach his status in the off-season. I would be surprised if he gets anything more than one year at a rate lower than what he is earning on the current contract. It's a coin flip for me whether the Braves should bring him back.
    Bringing back Muk on a 1 to 2 year deal would be ok with me. His leadership as head of the Council of Elders is important to this team.

"I am your retribution."