Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GDT padres game 3 6-16

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I feel like this bears repeating. There were folks here who said our attendance would be dwindling, and we'd barely be able to break a 100 million dollar payroll next year
    When your team is winning, people will come. Even more, we have a really fun and youthful product. It’s terrific!

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    .125 BABIP in June. That's ridiculously unsustainable.
    Yes but pop up and fly balls have very low bapips

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I feel like this bears repeating. There were folks here who said our attendance would be dwindling, and we'd barely be able to break a 100 million dollar payroll next year
    Winning will fix any attendance issues. I doubt anyone would have talked about dwindling attendance numbers if you told them the Braves would be in 1st place on June 17th.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yes but pop up and fly balls have very low bapips
    Ask Andrelton about this.

20%! of Ozzie's batted balls in June have been infield popups. That's not going to get it done.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Hopefully he gets right and joins the rotation 2nd half

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Memo to Gwinnett clubhouse attendant to make the necessary adjustments to the postgame spread.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2018), Tapate50 (06-17-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Our rotation would look pretty filthy if he comes back strong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Winning will fix any attendance issues. I doubt anyone would have talked about dwindling attendance numbers if you told them the Braves would be in 1st place on June 17th.
    But they the assumption was that they wouldn’t be...
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    An assumption made by everyone that talked about Braves baseball this off season...

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Pretty logical assumption, no? Clearly things haven't played out that way which everyone is happy about.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    After the huge weekend attendance, season attendance is now up 4.5%.

Looking ahead at the next home stand, I would tentatively guess that the Braves will widen that margin.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    After the huge weekend attendance, season attendance is now up 4.5%.

Looking ahead at the next home stand, I would tentatively guess that the Braves will widen that margin.
    Winning breeds excitement. Braves contending for a division title all the way to the end of the year will give the team a good attendance boost. Good news for the payroll next year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Pretty logical assumption, no? Clearly things haven't played out that way which everyone is happy about.

it was never particularly logical to me that the Braves attendance would drop precipitously.

This team figured to be better and in contention longer and the ballpark remains new and better located for its target audience. Plenty of Atlanta fans from outlying region have only been once or have yet to go.

If the Braves were .500, my guess is they'd be down a little bit, but probably not 5%.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    it was never particularly logical to me that the Braves attendance would drop precipitously.

This team figured to be better and in contention longer and the ballpark remains new and better located for its target audience. Plenty of Atlanta fans from outlying region have only been once or have yet to go.

If the Braves were .500, my guess is they'd be down a little bit, but probably not 5%.
    The new stadium effect drops off pretty fast if the team isn't good. And I don't think many people figured the Braves to be better and in contention longer at the start of the season. .500 was seen at the top end of what the Braves would do. Attendance was going to drop unless the Braves played like they are doing now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    The new stadium effect drops off pretty fast if the team isn't good. And I don't think many people figured the Braves to be better and in contention longer at the start of the season. .500 was seen at the top end of what the Braves would do. Attendance was going to drop unless the Braves played like they are doing now.
    I don't think attendance would have dropped a whole lot or possibly at all if the Braves were four or five games over .500 right now. No sense arguing about it, since there is no way of proving it one way or the other.

But even though I had them under .500 because of my lack of belief in their pitching, I thought it was completely reasonable they might be in the wildcard race through July. They have exactly the kind of team that tends to outperform projection.

If you'd told me that Folty and Newcomb would be under 4.00 ERA, let alone pitching at an all star level, I'd have had the Braves over .500. While that surprised the hell out of me, its not really actually that incomprehensible. It was always something that might happen.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    I don't think attendance would have dropped a whole lot or possibly at all if the Braves were four or five games over .500 right now. No sense arguing about it, since there is no way of proving it one way or the other.

But even though I had them under .500 because of my lack of belief in their pitching, I thought it was completely reasonable they might be in the wildcard race through July. They have exactly the kind of team that tends to outperform projection.

If you'd told me that Folty and Newcomb would be under 4.00 ERA, let alone pitching at an all star level, I'd have had the Braves over .500. While that surprised the hell out of me, its not really actually that incomprehensible. It was always something that might happen.
    Of course not. But there is a difference between that and projecting to be a high 70's win team. If the Braves are playing to that level then attendance would drop. To me that's pretty logical. It's been proven over and over that winning drives attendance. So what's happening is no surprise. You are right that there is no sense in arguing over this fact yet here we are.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Of course not. But there is a difference between that and projecting to be a high 70's win team. If the Braves are playing to that level then attendance would drop. To me that's pretty logical. It's been proven over and over that winning drives attendance. So what's happening is no surprise. You are right that there is no sense in arguing over this fact yet here we are.
    You said "Attendance was going to drop unless the Braves played like they are doing now."

The Braves are 13 games over .500 and have the NL's best record or something.

I said that I didn't think the Braves attendance would drop if they were 4 or 5 games over .500.

Those are two very different scenarios.

I'm amused that you are telling me that is well known that winning drives attendance. that's exactly the point I made before the season when there was some commentary about how the Braves were headed for attendance and payroll hell.

It's not shocking statistically or otherwise that the Braves are over .500 in June. Even sub .500 teams do that pretty regularly each season and the Braves are exactly the sort of team that tends to exceed statistical expectations.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    You said "Attendance was going to drop unless the Braves played like they are doing now."

The Braves are 13 games over .500 and have the NL's best record or something.

I said that I didn't think the Braves attendance would drop if they were 4 or 5 games over .500.

Those are two very different scenarios.

I'm amused that you are telling me that is well known that winning drives attendance. that's exactly the point I made before the season when there was some commentary about how the Braves were headed for attendance and payroll hell.

It's not shocking statistically or otherwise that the Braves are over .500 in June. Even sub .500 teams do that pretty regularly each season and the Braves are exactly the sort of team that tends to exceed statistical expectations.
    You are arguing against semantics like you always do because you have nothing better to do. Whether the Braves are 13 games over .500 or 5 games over .500 at this point doesn't really matter. Both are contention levels which is drastically different than what most people in baseball thought the Braves were doing this year.

If the Braves sucked this year the attendance for the season would of been lower than last year. If the Braves don't suck then attendance will go up. And the payroll will then follow based on that. These are not hard concepts to understand.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    You are arguing against semantics like you always do because you have nothing better to do. Whether the Braves are 13 games over .500 or 5 games over .500 at this point doesn't really matter. Both are contention levels which is drastically different than what most people in baseball thought the Braves were doing this year.

If the Braves sucked this year the attendance for the season would of been lower than last year. If the Braves don't suck then attendance will go up. And the payroll will then follow based on that. These are not hard concepts to understand.
    There is a huge difference between being just over .500 and having the best record in the NL, but I think you know that.

If your point is that every baseball observer would be shocked the Braves were over .500 at this point, I think you are wrong. I don't think anyone would be hugely surprised that a team predicted to be slightly under .500 ended up being slightly over .500 through June.

Particularly not a team with as much young talent as the Braves.

this is sort of a weird discussion because no one was talking about your being wrong, but you decided you needed to interject about how you were actually correct.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 06-18-2018 at 12:11 PM.