Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Machado or MooseTacos deal

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    I’d rather do something sooner than waiting for the deadline. Why not get the most you can out of these guys if you give up anything
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I’d rather do something sooner than waiting for the deadline. Why not get the most you can out of these guys if you give up anything
    I'd rather do something now as well... with the emergence of Folty and Newk (and if Folty isn't hurt too bad), a healthy Soroka, Teheran, and some combination of Sanchez/McCarthy/Fried/Wisler, etc... adding Machado and a big bullpen arm (Britton?) would make this team very scary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves will not be signing or resigning Machado this offseason. The largest FA contract in the history of the Braves isn’t even $100M, so aren’t suddenly giving Machado 4x that amount when Riley looks to be a solid 2 win player for free.

There is a decent chance they will be trading for him though.
    the Braves likely will not, you’re right. But saying they won’t is silly bevause you have no idea what they will do. Just stop

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Moose hitting about .224 against lefties this season and down to about .259 avg overall....

Didn’t see those numbers before starting this thread but based on that performance does he really improve us?
    Get off my lawn!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I will be highly disappointed acquiring Moose at this point... I see similar production at the plate and less production defense wise with Camargo. If you want to upgrade 3rd... gotta go big or just stick.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    That was literally the most benign comment I've ever seen Enscheff make.
    I think the last few weeks have shown I’m not the problem with these boards...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    the Braves likely will not, you’re right. But saying they won’t is silly bevause you have no idea what they will do. Just stop
    Care to wager?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Care to wager?
    Machado is a pipe dream. Too much to give up for a rental when we are not really contenders and no way on earth they give him a 300 mil plus contract.

Riley will never be Machado, but he will give you above average production on rookie pay for years. When you have a budget like we do...it would be an absolutely boneheaded move to sign him.

Machado would have to perform like Trout EVERY year of his contract to take as big of a percentage of our payroll as he would take....and be worth it.

You sign free agents where you have big holes and no one in the farm system to replace them. You don’t sign a player when you have a top 100 prospect in AAA at the same position.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I will be highly disappointed acquiring Moose at this point... I see similar production at the plate and less production defense wise with Camargo. If you want to upgrade 3rd... gotta go big or just stick.
    I agree.

More power though. And more roster depth. But otherwise not a big needle mover for me.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Machado is a pipe dream. Too much to give up for a rental when we are not really contenders and no way on earth they give him a 300 mil plus contract.

Riley will never be Machado, but he will give you above average production on rookie pay for years. When you have a budget like we do...it would be an absolutely boneheaded move to sign him.

Machado would have to perform like Trout EVERY year of his contract to take as big of a percentage of our payroll as he would take....and be worth it.

You sign free agents where you have big holes and no one in the farm system to replace them. You don’t sign a player when you have a top 100 prospect in AAA at the same position.
    Braves have a big hole if LF or 3b and in the middle of the order.

They have no other big contracts except Freddie.

They probably won’t sign a franchise level free agent but to act like Riley should be a reason why is kind of funny.

Riley can force the issue in LF if he’s that good.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would go with the cheaper reinforcement because in general I think paying the contenders premium is bad business.
    Not singling you out obviously, but the question that drives everyone here nuts is likely what keeps AA up at night too...

Not to mention you'd still have to deal with the fact that Machado has clearly stated his preference to remain at SS.

Is that a problem that could likely be handled reasonably between all parties involved? Sure - no one would want to look like they were selfish enough to put themselves ahead of the team in a situation like this. It would make them all look bad - and they'd all have plenty to potentially lose. Machado for risking the "chemistry" by forcing Swanson to move (or be traded in the event he were to re-sign), Swanson in the long run if he were to make waves by mentioning it (and heaven knows some reporter somewhere will find out he did - even if it wasn't mentioned publicly). AA for looking like he didn't believe this team is good enough to win it all if he has the chance to get him by not giving up what it takes.

It's obvious that many of us fall on different sides when it comes to believing whether "chemistry" actually exists - and whether it can actually have much to do with winning if it even does - but is it worth taking that chance for the price it will cost IF that is for two months? Call it chemistry or whatever you'd like - this team has now been pretty special long enough that you can't really call it "lucky". Whether you're an Allard believer or not makes little difference - offering him up likely gets you a Closer with multiple years of control like Iglesias or Hand which would certainly be a huge upgrade. You could go even further by offering up lower-tier prospects in a deal for Moose and Escobar. Then suddenly you've got an unbelievably lights-out pen with Iglesias/Hand, Escobar, Vizcaino, Minter, Winkler, Freeman, and Carle.

If you're not an Allard supporter that's completely understandable, but don't waste a chip like that on a rental. Riley's coming whether you believe in him or not, and you're only looking for a two month upgrade at 3B - which Machado doesn't accomplish if he's playing SS. Get someone with more control if you're going to let Allard go. I'd love to see what our offense could do with a Machado addition as much as anyone, but even with him there are no guarantees. If Riley's not proven enough by the end of the season to believe he's your answer, throw all that money at Machado or Donaldson this winter - but keep Allard and Riley to package and fill another hole.

Most have been consistent about preaching patience - not moving too soon and trading valuable prospect capital BEFORE you're sure the piece you're getting is the icing on the cake. That's worked very well so far - not overpaying for Archer or another SP, not taking the bait when other upgrades have been made available for too much in return. This is when that advice becomes the most important. If you think this team is good enough - and getting Machado puts it over the top - then it's time to identify yourself as a "pozzy". That's great - and welcome to the crowd. But if you're not convinced that trading for Machado now makes this team a legitimate contender THIS season (or gives you a leg up when it comes to signing him this winter), keep those valuable pieces until you're getting something that's going to help in the long-term. That patience appears to have worked with Folty and Newk, certainly has a good chance to work with Soroka, and exercising it with Gohara, Wright, and Anderson stands a good chance to pay huge dividends.

If you believe this team has a chance to win in 2018, a Machado trade is worth the gamble. If you don't, it isn't.
    Last edited by clvclv; 06-17-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Braves have a big hole if LF or 3b and in the middle of the order.

They have no other big contracts except Freddie.

They probably won’t sign a franchise level free agent but to act like Riley should be a reason why is kind of funny.

Riley can force the issue in LF if he’s that good.

Of course I would love to have Machado. It’s not going to happen. I will be glad to come on here and announce that I was dead wrong. It ain’t gonna happen though.

I’m not really worried about 3rd starting next year. It will not be a hole. We will not have a super star there, but will have above average production from that spot.

I want to have the money to sign our young core guys two years down the road.

Would you rather have Machado, or Newk, Soroka and Folty to long term deals...that’s what it will come down to. You would definitely loose Freeman past his current contract also. I would rather have Freeman all day long to an extension.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    A's have fallen back a bit. I think Lowrie will be available.

Options include Machado, Moose, Beltre, Lowrie, Frazier, Solarte, Donaldson. Anyone else?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    A's have fallen back a bit. I think Lowrie will be available.

Options include Machado, Moose, Beltre, Lowrie, Frazier, Solarte, Donaldson. Anyone else?
    Now you taking... lowrie is my favorite after Machado

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts

Its a fact Riley will give us above average production? A player with a glaring strikeout problem with no at bats in the majors (I like the guy, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here)? Andy Marte was a better prospect and see how that turned out. He was never even average, RIP. And how in the world can you say we are not contenders if we added Machado and a good bullpen arm? There are no holes in the lineup at that point, our power would be fantastic, and if Folty, Newk, and Soroka keep growing and stay healthy... that's a fantastic rotation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Now you taking... lowrie is my favorite after Machado
    I think my order of preference is Machado, Beltre, Lowrie, then Solarte

If its Moose, Frazier, Donaldson - I don't want them... I think Donaldson is declining rapidly, Frazier too... and Moose is regressing big time. Beltre may be aging quite a bit and may not be hitting for as much power, but he's still a hit machine. Lowrie is solid if he stays healthy... Solarte is a great player to have as he is productive and versatile... him, Culberson, and Camargo would give us lots of flexibility. And Machado could be a big time difference maker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    The Braves will not be signing or resigning Machado this offseason. The largest FA contract in the history of the Braves isn’t even $100M, so aren’t suddenly giving Machado 4x that amount when Riley looks to be a solid 2 win player for free.

There is a decent chance they will be trading for him though.
    You're probably right... but that type of player is prob the only likely type a team like the Braves would consider, being that he's only 25, there's not as much of a chance he has a ton of wasted years if he stays healthy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I think my order of preference is Machado, Beltre, Lowrie, then Solarte

If its Moose, Frazier, Donaldson - I don't want them... I think Donaldson is declining rapidly, Frazier too... and Moose is regressing big time. Beltre may be aging quite a bit and may not be hitting for as much power, but he's still a hit machine. Lowrie is solid if he stays healthy... Solarte is a great player to have as he is productive and versatile... him, Culberson, and Camargo would give us lots of flexibility. And Machado could be a big time difference maker.
    I don’t believe Donaldson fits the budget.

I think he’s probably just banged up rather than washed up though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Of course I would love to have Machado. It’s not going to happen. I will be glad to come on here and announce that I was dead wrong. It ain’t gonna happen though.

I’m not really worried about 3rd starting next year. It will not be a hole. We will not have a super star there, but will have above average production from that spot.

I want to have the money to sign our young core guys two years down the road.

Would you rather have Machado, or Newk, Soroka and Folty to long term deals...that’s what it will come down to. You would definitely loose Freeman past his current contract also. I would rather have Freeman all day long to an extension.
    There is no question I’d rather have an elite bat nowin the middle of the order during a contention window rather than get additional years out of rotation pieces seven years from now. Not even close.

I’m not worried about keeping young guys just because they happened to be Braves prospects unless they want to give discounts.

And pitchers much less so. People bragged on the Teheran extension and the perceived value of it is now a liability really.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    This would be Teheran’s last year of control without the extension.

The supposed value of his extension was controlling next season and getting an option for 2020.

If Teheran were a free agent, would anyone even want Atlanta to try and re-sign him at any price?