Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DOTW: Is taxation theft?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    No. Again, by your logic, then Hitler didn't "murder" anyone because everything he did was legal for German law.

Nonsense.
    So predictable.

I can't believe that you actually made that comparison.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yep. It takes individual talent, intellect, and initiative to achieve great things in this country. It also takes a functioning social contract, stability, and infrastructure. The latter is largely a function of the collective, and not giving credence to that is a blind spot that I struggle to comprehend. If you don't want to acknowledge it, I'd suggest going to an undeveloped country—or even better, a failed state—and seeing how much your time is worth there.
    I think this conversation is steering in the wrong direction. You guys are all making the argument that taxation is necessary (how much, is the question? I would argue that we are way above what is necessary for a functioning society). My question more in lies with the idea of wheteher or not that actual forceful act of taking money from citizens is theft? Citizens MUST pay, even if they absolutely detest what the money is going for (like the Iraq war, for example).

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Fair enough. And I understand that taxes are necessary to fund some important roles of government. My whole beef with taxation is involuntary taxes. It's much like I hate this Obamacare thing. It is unvolunatry, and if I don't participate, then I am breaking the law.

Income taxes are involuntary.

The obvious (at least I believe obvious) problem is the government is too massive and is too dependent on stealing from the people. I know you agree with me about national defense. But how about welfare? How about all of the debt of education? The dept of interior? The DHS? FEMA? Countless others.

All of these are massive strains on the tax payer, but it wasn't always. And we survived. Taking money from me to fund an afterschool program is theft. It is no different than me robbing someone on the street and giving that money to a homeless person. That is a crime. But the government doing it is ok.
    No, it's a system that you opt into, isn't it?

We survived without child labor laws, workplace & food safety regulations, universal suffrage, environmental regs . . . lots of stuff. And then we decided, through the democratic process, that we were collectively better off WITH these things than without them. We could, and have, reversed and scaled back some of them. Welcome to society.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    So predictable.

I can't believe that you actually made that comparison.
    LOL. What is wrong with the comparrison?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You are agreeing to the taxes by living here. If you don't want to agree to them then you are free to leave the country. I think its pretty easy.
    Natural Immunity Croc

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think this conversation is steering in the wrong direction. You guys are all making the argument that taxation is necessary (how much, is the question? I would argue that we are way above what is necessary for a functioning society). My question more in lies with the idea of wheteher or not that actual forceful act of taking money from citizens is theft? Citizens MUST pay, even if they absolutely detest what the money is going for (like the Iraq war, for example).
    If I deprive another person of their life, is it murder?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    No, it's a system that you opt into, isn't it?

We survived without child labor laws, workplace & food safety regulations, universal suffrage, environmental regs . . . lots of stuff. And then we decided, through the democratic process, that we were collectively better off WITH these things than without them. We could, and have, reversed and scaled back some of them. Welcome to society.
    You say, as a society, we decided we needed X. And for many things, you're probably right. But I don't think, as a society, we decided we needed the Iraq war. Or Obama care. Or the Patriot act. Instead, the corrupt folks who lied to get elected, madated those things on us, and taxed the living hell out of us to pay for it.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    That doesn't address my question... You could leave the country for any reason. I'm asking, is the concept of forceful taxation theft, and if not, why is it different?
    If you work in the U.S., you agree to pay taxes.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    I think this conversation is steering in the wrong direction. You guys are all making the argument that taxation is necessary (how much, is the question? I would argue that we are way above what is necessary for a functioning society). My question more in lies with the idea of whether or not that actual forceful act of taking money from citizens is theft?
    One man's theft is another man's just appropriation; the definition of "theft" is as socially-constructed and (nearly) as arbitrary as the tax-rate structure itself (certainly, it's just as arbitrated). That's why the question of social necessity is a much more germane one than the (vastly) more nebulous question: What is "theft"?

I think there's much more utility in debating where and for what tax-revenues are expended than whether the core-concept is socially valid.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (08-22-2013)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    it is part of the social contract

this is where i don't agree with the libertarians

taxes suck and we could argue about what the certain amount should be to be taxed and what it should be used for

but taxes are needed and is part of a better society (or should help make a better society offering services etc)
    I would respond, but goldfly already hit this one out of the park.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-23-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    If you work in the U.S., you agree to pay taxes.
    Not sure how this is a difficult concept to grasp. Sturg wants all the benefits of working/living in the US but none of the responsibilities.
    Natural Immunity Croc

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (08-23-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Not sure how this is a difficult concept to grasp. Sturg wants all the benefits of working/living in the US but none of the responsibilities.
    LOL... I think you think I'm a very uneducated person.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    LOL... I think you think I'm a very uneducated person.
    That thought has actually never come across my mind about you. Quite the opposite actually. I just think you are misguided slightly in the fact that you don't realize there is the world you think we live in and the real world.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    That thought has actually never come across my mind about you. Quite the opposite actually. I just think you are misguided slightly in the fact that you don't realize there is the world you think we live in and the real world.
    I think there is a world we live in, and I try to recognize the many problems associated with it and ways to make it better for individuals.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Regardless of education, I think if you refuse to acknowledge to readily apparent differences between basic taxation and petty theft, then you are asking people to not take you seriously.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Taxes aren't theft because we can not pay them. That didn't work. Twice though. Articles of confederation failed, not to mention the south in the civil war.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Regardless of education, I think if you refuse to acknowledge to readily apparent differences between basic taxation and petty theft, then you are asking people to not take you seriously.
    Explain this difference to me - not from a legality standpoint, but from a practical standpoint.

Situation a:
    Political candidate campaigns on cutting spending. Gets elected. Once elected, decides to change course and get taxes raised in an effort to provide additional foodstamp benefits for poor individuals. Taxes get raised on each individual on a net $200 a year. Food stamp benefits increase for poor individuals.

Situation b:
    Person puts a gun in a rich guy's face and demands his money. Rich guy gives him $200. Person takes that $200 and gives it to the local homeless person to buy food.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Two things:

1 - It takes more than just one candidate to affect tax policy

2 - And where are these "Robin Hood" characters that you are referencing?
    Natural Immunity Croc

22. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-23-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Are you arguing that certain types of taxation are theft? It seems silly to me to argue that taxation as a whole is theft. Taxation without representation could be argued as theft.
    thank you weso1!

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Explain this difference to me - not from a legality standpoint, but from a practical standpoint.

Situation a:
    Political candidate campaigns on cutting spending. Gets elected. Once elected, decides to change course and get taxes raised in an effort to provide additional foodstamp benefits for poor individuals. Taxes get raised on each individual on a net $200 a year. Food stamp benefits increase for poor individuals.

Situation b:
    Person puts a gun in a rich guy's face and demands his money. Rich guy gives him $200. Person takes that $200 and gives it to the local homeless person to buy food.
    Yes, exactly. Thank you for proving my point. If you refuse to acknowledge that there is a real and obvious difference in these situations, then you aren't going to be taken seriously.