Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post Office to Default Again

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    You never answered why they are under funded.
    If you just think outside of your government paradigm for 5 seconds, you may be able to get to an answer that isn't partisan politics

They're probably underfunded because people stop sending mail... and greater competition from competition... and they haven't embraced technology yet... and they are funding the **** out of pensions and union dues. Or maybe, it has something to do with $20T in debt.

But that is just a guess.

Whatever it is, something ain't working.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

I use UPS for all my business shipping, because we wouldn't trust USPS to get it there.

i look at the numbers. They can't operate effectively. Time to re-org, cut the staff, ut the pensions, invest in tech
    Just last year my girlfriend's mom changed how her mail order business was ran because UPS constantly ****ed up. One big example was saying a package was undeliverable when it was the 4th year in a row it was sent to the same customer at the same address, they claimed failed delivery attempts but the guy worked from home and never had them knock. We resolved it by calling their main customer service but it took a package that should have taken 3 business days to get to Virginia to wind up taking about 10. Hopefully that customer orders from us again and doesn't decide not to because UPS ****ed us over.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    That's unfortunate. In my 15+ years selling things on eBay I've never had a problem with USPS. I've also used FedEx and UPS.
    I think it was on the 6th lost package with ups I said "brown can do **** all for me"

Never had a problem with FedEx outside they are expensive for some stuff

USPS is a great service
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    If you just think outside of your government paradigm for 5 seconds, you may be able to get to an answer that isn't partisan politics

They're probably underfunded because people stop sending mail... and greater competition from competition... and they haven't embraced technology yet... and they are funding the **** out of pensions and union dues. Or maybe, it has something to do with $20T in debt.

But that is just a guess.

Whatever it is, something ain't working.
    that is my question, what isn't working ?

-- besides the fact they have no money, what is wrong -- it isn't the service - out of 5 or 6 people in this discussion there has been no complaint with what they do.
    You started a thread about something you have no or little experience with but ... I don't know -- what is your point ?

Not sure what you are talking about with government paradigm's or partisan politics --- outside of one political party has politicized funding USPS. No secret or conspiracy just the record
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    that is my question, what isn't working ?

-- besides the fact they have no money, what is wrong -- it isn't the service - out of 5 or 6 people in this discussion there has been no complaint with what they do.
    You started a thread about something you have no or little experience with but ... I don't know -- what is your point ?

Not sure what you are talking about with government paradigm's or partisan politics --- outside of one political party has politicized funding USPS. No secret or conspiracy just the record
    You asked why they don't have funding and I gave you a bunch of reasons why.

I read their Post Master comment today that they are struggling raising revenue because there is less mail being sent, and they want to raise prices.

"other than they have no money"...

That's the problem, dude. They are making pension promises that they cannot fulfill.

The anecdotal examples on here are great. I suppose that will make them solvent. You know, I love twitter... but it's a failed business and will eventually be sold or go bankrupt unless they change their model. my friends love snap chat, but I think it is likely to go bankrupt. my girlfriend loves blue Apron... but it's not going to survive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    As pointed our earlier none of those are constitutionally mandated services.
    Congressional subsidies

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    The Post Office is ****ing awesome. Cheaper, more reliable, and easier to use than FedEx/UPS/DHL. Also, they deliver Amazon packages on Sunday.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-11-2017), Runnin (08-11-2017), The Chosen One (08-10-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    my friends love snap chat, but I think it is likely to go bankrupt.
    Methinks they are going to regret turning down Google's $30B acquisition offer much like Yahoo came to regret not taking Microsoft's original $50B offer.

Snapchat is not the future of social media, and they don't have the platform/infrastructure/financial spine to adapt to what that future will be.

Twitter is still a relevant platform. It's a failed business model, but if they can figure out a proper monetization strategy they'll be fine. Obviously that's easier said than done, but it starts with opening up their API again.
    Last edited by Hawk; 08-10-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Snapchat is gonna be made or broken by their hardware move. That's the horse they're betting on. It will likely fail though. Mainly because electronic hardware is a tough place to make money. Only a handful of companies do. But if they come out with a killer product maybe they pull it off. Right now though, their appeal is anonymity. Which makes advertising tougher so unlike Google and Facebook, their advertising revenue is much smaller. I'd say it's kind of similar to Reddit's ad issues.

That being said, Snapchat is brilliant and if they can figure out a way to successfully monetize their app they'd be rich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The Post Office is ****ing awesome. Cheaper, more reliable, and easier to use than FedEx/UPS/DHL. Also, they deliver Amazon packages on Sunday.
    Does DHL still exist in the US? I used to see them all of the time now I can only think of once or twice in the last few years I've seen a DHL truck at all.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Compare USPS with with UPS and FedEx when congress forces the latter two to pre-fund their pension liabilities.

UPS is unionized, too, fwiw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Compare USPS with with UPS and FedEx when congress forces the latter two to pre-fund their pension liabilities.

UPS is unionized, too, fwiw.
    Let me know when they start defaulting

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    yep
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    I receive packages from UPS same FedEx a few times a month and never had a problem. UPS once gave me a wrong package which was an Avon poster thing but I have never had any packages lost.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Let me know when they start defaulting
    Your lack of simple common sense in this thread is truly unparalleled. Again, USPS tried to make efforts to cut costs and raise funds, but Congress always stonewalls them.

Also UPS announced they're doing peak time rate hikes, so fully expect to be seeing a ton more USPS packages than UPS packages this around Christmas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    My simple lack of common sense for being concerned about a publicly funded entitiy loses $2.1B in a single quarter, and hasn't been able to pay it's debt and obligations for 5 straight years

OK then