Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    How was Gausman a dumb move, he was fantastic down the stretch and didnt even cost a top 10 prospect from us.
    I would've preferred to see more young guys get the ball. Gausman is just a dude. He was solid for us, but I think mostly he was lucky. His BABIP and HR/FB were both far below career norms. His FIP was almost 4. His WAR was only .9.

Sure he didn't cost much and won't kill you, but he's hardly an upgrade going forward.
    Last edited by CrazyTrain; 11-20-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I would've preferred to see more young guys get the ball. Gausman is just a dude. He was solid for us, but I think mostly he was lucky. His BABIP and HR/FB were both far below career norms. His FIP was almost 4.

Sure he didn't cost much and won't kill you, but he's hardly an upgrade going forward.
    Middle of the rotation innings eaters are what keeps your team in contention. Gausman isn't a TOR starter but he averages almost 6 IP per start and generally keeps you in games. That has a good bit of value. We're a team that's looking to compete now. We need to have a guy or two like Gausman in our rotation.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-20-2018), UNCBlue012 (11-20-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    The Braves traded for Gausman with an idea to move him on the rubber to increase his spin rate and it worked. I like these trades where data shows you can possibly increase the player's stock with some adjustments. it won't always work, but it's a great use of data and I'd hope for more moves like that this winter.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-20-2018), Super (11-20-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I would've preferred to see more young guys get the ball. Gausman is just a dude. He was solid for us, but I think mostly he was lucky. His BABIP and HR/FB were both far below career norms. His FIP was almost 4. His WAR was only .9.

who did you want to see "get the ball" in the middle of a division race? gausman was easily a better bet to produce than any of the young guys we had (fried, allard, gohara, toussaint, wilson, wright). and he did. he certainly pitched well, regardless of how lucky he may have been. it's tough to argue that acquiring gausman was a bad move.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Beltre retires.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I hope Gomes is a place B or C bc we really need to upgrade C and COF. If we go for Gomes we should have just kept Suzuki.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I hope Gomes is a place B or C bc we really need to upgrade C and COF. If we go for Gomes we should have just kept Suzuki.
    On a bang for the buck basis it has been my view Suzuki and McCann were our best options. Going economical at catcher (or any position for that matter where there is the opportunity to make a below market signing) improves our ability to pursue bigger upgrades elsewhere.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    On a bang for the buck basis it has been my view Suzuki and McCann were our best options. Going economical at catcher (or any position for that matter where there is the opportunity to make a below market signing) improves our ability to pursue bigger upgrades elsewhere.
    Are those upgrades even out there that are outside our budget where a frugal signing at C would help? Not sure they are.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Would be super dumb. We already did a dumb thing by bringing in Gausman to a crowded rotation. Getting another "ho-hum" rotation arm would be a waste of resources.
    Gausman was a fantastic move... sigh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Are those upgrades even out there that are outside our budget where a frugal signing at C would help? Not sure they are.
    1) Bryce Harper

2) Having more financial flexibility gives us more room to be creative re Diamondbacks/Greinke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If getting Gomes meant going big at COF then that’s a different story. And by big I don’t mean Brantley, Cutch, or Pollock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts

Just a dude... who was a number 4 overall pick... a top 25 MLB prospect.... who's shown signs of getting it in the past couple years.... who has just completed his age 27 season... we would be lucky if just a couple of our young guys end up as successful as Gausman... but yeah, just a dude...
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 11-20-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I don't see where those bigger upgrades would be... catcher has to be one of our big upgrades

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    1) Bryce Harper

2) Having more financial flexibility gives us more room to be creative re Diamondbacks/Greinke
    How big of an upgrade is a 36 year old Greinke? Especially if we have to pay him a ton?
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 11-20-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Middle of the rotation innings eaters are what keeps your team in contention. Gausman isn't a TOR starter but he averages almost 6 IP per start and generally keeps you in games. That has a good bit of value. We're a team that's looking to compete now. We need to have a guy or two like Gausman in our rotation.
    Not denying that, but I didn't have any faith in our post season run last year, even at the deadline. We just weren't ready to compete and Gausman is just taking innings from our young guys who need them for evaluation purposes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Not denying that, but I didn't have any faith in our post season run last year, even at the deadline. We just weren't ready to compete and Gausman is just taking innings from our young guys who need them for evaluation purposes.
    Gausman is a young guy with great stuff... and probably was a better prospect than most of our guys except maybe Soroka and Anderson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    How big of an upgrade is a 36 year old Greinke? Especially if we have to pay him a ton?
    My thought process here is in Greinke we get a pitcher who is a significant upgrade over whoever our number 4 or 5 starter would have been. The $ allows us to also pick up Peralta, while economizing on prospect capital. We then have the option of using that prospect capital to pick up someone like Carrasco. Move Teheran to the Dbacks as part of the trade. Pick up Soria or Familia for the pen.

Opening day rotation is Folty, Gausman, Carrasco, Greinke, Fried

We have Peralta in left. McCann/Flowers at catcher.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Just a dude... who was a number 4 overall pick... a top 25 MLB prospect.... who's shown signs of getting it in the past couple years.... who has just completed his age 27 season... we would be lucky if just a couple of our young guys end up as successful as Gausman... but yeah, just a dude...
    Maybe you're holding on to his pedigree, but I see a dude who walks too many guys and is already 27 without any real success to date.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    My thought process here is in Greinke we get a pitcher who is a significant upgrade over whoever our number 4 or 5 starter would have been. The $ allows us to also pick up Peralta, while economizing on prospect capital. We then have the option of using that prospect capital to pick up someone like Carrasco. Move Teheran to the Dbacks as part of the trade. Pick up Soria or Familia for the pen.

Opening day rotation is Folty, Gausman, Carrasco, Greinke, Fried

We have Peralta in left. McCann/Flowers at catcher.
    Okay... I guess I saw your 1 and 2 options as both happening.... therefore wasn't envisioning Peralta and then something like Carrasco, etc... I read it as basically Greinke and Harper then done but I see they are separate possibilities now.