Page 62 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1885

Thread: Political Correctness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    From Littman's conclusion:

ROGD (rapid onset gender dysphoria) appears to represent an entity that is distinct from the gender dysphoria observed in individuals who have previously been described as transgender.

I think her study is an example of one that is being unfairly suppressed by one group and inaccurately being characterized by another group. My own personal view is that she is probably on to something. But for those of you wishing to deny that "androgynous" people have been around forever please take a look at her research and note the distinction she is making between ROGD cases and those where the manifestations are there from an earlier age.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    There was a post dozens of pages ago where children psychatrists posited that children would never even think to question their gender without being told to, and our teachers are now teaching little kids about it.
    In the case of this girl I've known (quite well) since she was three, I would say she was a happy kid who liked dressing like a boy (including wearing a tie). And then things became more difficult for her when she became a teenager. But I think now she has sorted things out and so has her family and she is making the transition, including changing her name to a boy's name.

With respect to teaching this in schools, well I am a strong believer in allowing state and local governments a lot of leeway on these matters (and as a subsidiary principle I think states should defer to local on these matters). What is ok for Berkeley may not be ok everywhere else. But I do think some things are not ok anywhere. I'm fine with leaving such matters entirely off school curriculums. But as a matter of policy every school board needs to be ready in case there is a transgender child in their community.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    From Littman's conclusion:

ROGD (rapid onset gender dysphoria) appears to represent an entity that is distinct from the gender dysphoria observed in individuals who have previously been described as transgender.

I think her study is an example of one that is being unfairly suppressed by one group and inaccurately being characterized by another group. My own personal view is that she is probably on to something. But for those of you wishing to deny that "androgynous" people have been around forever please take a look at her research and note the distinction she is making between ROGD cases and those where the manifestations are there from an earlier age.
    I think there are a lot of parallels between politicization of this issue and that of abortions. I don't doubt that there is a very small number of legitimate, natural cases of gender dysphoria, just like there is a very small number of abortions that are necessary to save the life of the mother. And I don't think there are many people who would take issue with either of those cases. What I do take issue with is that both have been glorified by the same side of the political spectrum in this country for political purposes. That's all well and good when it's slimy politicians playing slimy political games, but it ceases to be acceptable when it creates an epidemic, as in both of these cases. Lives are being destroyed or ended for the sake of a few votes.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (09-13-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I think there are a lot of parallels between politicization of this issue and that of abortions. I don't doubt that there is a very small number of legitimate, natural cases of gender dysphoria, just like there is a very small number of abortions that are necessary to save the life of the mother. And I don't think there are many people who would take issue with either of those cases. What I do take issue with is that both have been glorified by the same side of the political spectrum in this country for political purposes. That's all well and good when it's slimy politicians playing slimy political games, but it ceases to be acceptable when it creates an epidemic, as in both of these cases. Lives are being destroyed or ended for the sake of a few votes.
    I dunno about just one side of the political spectrum politicising these issues. I'm pro-life but find that there are a lot of pro-life politicians who mainly see it as a great issue for them. Ditto for House Bill 2 or whatever it was called in North Carolina. Why did the state have to intervene to try to override the laws of one of its cities?

I'm tough on my friends from all sides of the political spectrum! Hypocrisy makes for a target-rich environment on both sides. It so happens these days I focus most of my fire on a particular side because I can't for the life of me see how conservatives don't see that everything they value is being corrupted by the current occupant of the Oval Office. I don't even think the "strategic judgment" to hold their noses and vote for him in exchange for the right judges will pan out. I expect the backlash to this strategic choice to be pretty long lasting. Which means something like 3 liberal justices for every Kavanaugh. The supreme court math ain't gonna work out in the long run. Enjoy Kavanaugh. He might be the last one for a very long time. And I say that as someone who prefers my supreme court justices on the conservative side.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-13-2018 at 11:44 AM.

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    The celebs out there telling people to celebrate their abortions is pretty gross

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You lost.

Nike's decision to make the former San Francisco 49ers' quarterback a centerpiece of its 30th anniversary "Just Do It" campaign was a shrewd investment in its core customers: Younger Americans.

Among people ages 18 to 34, 44% supported Nike's decision to use Kaepernick, while 32% opposed it, according to an SSRS Omnibus poll provided exclusively to CNN. In the 35-to-44 age bracket, the decision earned support among a majority, 52%, compared to 37% who were against it.

Older adults were less supportive of the move: Only 26% of adults over 65 backed the decision.

But they are not Nike's base. Two-thirds of the company's sneaker customers are younger than 35, according to Matt Powell, a sports retail analyst at market research firm NPD Group.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Maybe I've lived a sheltered life, but I never met anyone androgenous until the several that I have encountered over the past couple of years.
    I think we’ve been pretty sloppy with some language in this discussion, for example saying “human history” when we mean “American” or “western/European history.” There are a litany of examples of cultures worldwide who historically acknowledged and respected nonbinary people. I see a lot of sloppy assumptions in this thread. I think that both science and history tell some fairly different stories about both sex and gender relative to the context of this discussion.

It wasn’t really any different when homosexuality was the issue. Hell, in one of the most important pieces of literature in the Western canon, the baddest man on the planet, Achilles, lays waste to the armies of Ilium because they killed his boy lover. Tell me that culture didn’t have some different ideas about same-sex relationships and masculinity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    You lost.

Nike's decision to make the former San Francisco 49ers' quarterback a centerpiece of its 30th anniversary "Just Do It" campaign was a shrewd investment in its core customers: Younger Americans.

Among people ages 18 to 34, 44% supported Nike's decision to use Kaepernick, while 32% opposed it, according to an SSRS Omnibus poll provided exclusively to CNN. In the 35-to-44 age bracket, the decision earned support among a majority, 52%, compared to 37% who were against it.

Older adults were less supportive of the move: Only 26% of adults over 65 backed the decision.

But they are not Nike's base. Two-thirds of the company's sneaker customers are younger than 35, according to Matt Powell, a sports retail analyst at market research firm NPD Group.
    To be fair, young people are pretty dumb.

But on a serious note, people who support the decision does not equal gaining a new customer. Whereas people who opposed the decision probably means losing a customer.

Overall though, the Mount of free pub this generated was obviously a smart bet

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Anyone here know how to spell androgynous?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I do admit to a certain amount of befuddlement on that one

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-14-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Cool. Not happy being 5'10. I now say I'm 6'3
    You have now won the dumbest thing ever written on this board award in a landslide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    You have now won the dumbest thing ever written on this board award in a landslide.
    I think I could contest that

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Starts about 2:30 in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Starts about 2:30 in

Party of science is fine ignoring science if it means votes and ability to claim opposition is bigots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    He’s absolutely, 180 degrees off when talking about suicide rates among the transgender community. He’s wrong, specifically, in his characterization of the study he referenced, the conclusions of which directly refute what he’s claiming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    He’s absolutely, 180 degrees off when talking about suicide rates among the transgender community. He’s wrong, specifically, in his characterization of the study he referenced, the conclusions of which directly refute what he’s claiming.
    You saying that is no different than him saying what he said. Please post the data you're referring to.

Meanwhile... I asked you earlier if gender is not related to sex, why do many transgenders decide to change their sex biology?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    http://https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf

That’s the study he was referring to. Start around page 11 or so to see conclusions that directly contradict his assertions. Then read the discussion section on page 14 which clearly spells it out.

Also worth noting that he is comparing the suicide death rate in the general population with the suicide attempt rate amongst transgender people. Honest mistake, I’m sure.

I include this one because it is the study to which Shapiro referred. If you like, I can post links to more studies which arrive at similar conclusions, which are shorthand summarized as...exactly the opposite of what he was saying.

Like, you guys will listen to these YouTube dip****s and not bother to check their work because it affirms what you want to be true.

To your last point, I’m not sure who’s saying that gender is unrelated to sex. I’m saying that gender is =/= to sex, which is an important part of the conversation that you, and Ben Shapiro, seem to routinely stumble over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Vowels are arbitrary.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=11309

The University of Maryland at College Park announced Friday a new diversity support group to create a “safe space” for white students to discuss their feelings about “interactions with racial and ethnic minorities.”

The support group, called “White Awake,” will help white students who may “sometimes feel uncomfortable and confused before, during, or after interactions with racial and ethnic minorities.”

“This group offers a safe space for White students to explore their experiences, questions, reactions, and feelings,” the description explains. “Members will support and share feedback with each other as they learn more about themselves and how they can fit into a diverse world.”

The description asks students if they want to “improve [their] ability to relate to and connect with people different from [themselves]” or if they want to become a better “ally.” The new group is now one of four in the university’s “Diversity Issues” program series.

So a white kid who has trouble interacting with minorities should look to other white kids who have trouble interacting with minorities for help in interacting with minorities. This entire trend of safe spaces is discouraging.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    This action is fine by me. Starbucks can do whatever they want... But to all those who said bakers can't refuse service, how do yall feel about this?

Anybody?