Page 19 of 94 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: - STARTS TODAY AT 7PM - 2016 June Amateur Draft Discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    When he talks about safe he probably means their likelihood to reach the majors as opposed their likelihood to be a good major league player. Some people are weird like that and think a first round pick isnt a bust if they have like 12 innings with a 5+ ERA in the majors just because they reached the majors.
    To me, safe screams our drafting philosophy under Frank Wrenn. Todd Cunningham was a safe pick.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    The beauty of picking this high, of course, is all the options you have. But as a fan, that means I just keep bouncing back and forth and talking myself into every potential pick.

"Oh, Lewis seems great. But so does Rutherford! But man, what if Groome fell to 3?! And Puk has huge upside- he could be a Randy Johnson type. I WANT ALL OF THEM!"

So watch us pick someone who hasn't even discussed here.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (04-14-2016), The Chosen One (04-14-2016), UNCBlue012 (04-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I don't know how much input he has on this, but Kiley McDaniel had Blake Rutherford rated as the top bat in the draft before he took a job with the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Kiley I would imagine has a big influence.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Dang Groome ruled ineligible for the rest of the year. Does this effect his draft stock at all? Have to take him if he fell to #3.

usatodayhss.com/2016/potential-no-1-mlb-draft-pick-jason-groome-ruled-ineligible

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ball4life32 View Post
    Dang Groome ruled ineligible for the rest of the year. Does this effect his draft stock at all? Have to take him if he fell to #3.

usatodayhss.com/2016/potential-no-1-mlb-draft-pick-jason-groome-ruled-ineligible
    wow... that will make it very interesting. He will still be a top pick.. but does he fall to #3 because he didn't get to pitch his senior year..

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

High school sports eligibility is getting extremely complicated with "schools" like the IMG Academy springing up. We've got a private hockey school in Minnesota that is gumming things up. Difficult to know exactly what to do here. Groome, while not a victim in a truest sense of the word, is really penalized for his failure to update his address (if indeed that was his address).

My guess is this will free up Groome for a number of semi-formal side sessions with scouts in attendance. He may slip a few slots, but I don't think he'll fall that far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    High school sports eligibility is getting extremely complicated with "schools" like the IMG Academy springing up. We've got a private hockey school in Minnesota that is gumming things up. Difficult to know exactly what to do here. Groome, while not a victim in a truest sense of the word, is really penalized for his failure to update his address (if indeed that was his address).

My guess is this will free up Groome for a number of semi-formal side sessions with scouts in attendance. He may slip a few slots, but I don't think he'll fall that far.
    I hope he slips a couple slots. That would leave him there for us. Even with this I'd still be running to the podium to announce we'd picked him.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (04-14-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    All this does is lower the chances he gets injured. He will pitch again this spring, he will dominate, and he will be drafted just like it never happened. MLB scouts probably don't need to see him blowing away high school hitters in April to draft him in June.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I could see him maybe falling to 3 after this. I pray he does anyways.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    For those of you with ESPNU, AJ Puk is starting tonight against Arkansas, if you'd like to do some advance scouting.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (04-14-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Puk has struggled some this year, but Coppy has a very high opinion of him based on his comments in a recent chat he made. He's a power lefty, and those tend to go high. I wouldn't rule him out at this point.

Another guy is Robert Tyler, who I don't think is an option at the #3 pick, but he has maybe the best stuff of any pitcher in this draft sans Groome. I've seen him pitch, and his stuff is excellent. His command is spotty at best, but the guy has impressive stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...?article=12348

Perfect Game's Top 100 draft prospects. It is behind a paywall, so the notable mentions:

#3 Corey Ray
    #4 Blake Rutherford
    #5 AJ Puk
    #7 Kyle Lewis
    #47 Will Benson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Watching AJ Puk tonight. His fastball has some electricity. He's a left that has been working 93-95 while touching 97 a few times. His command is shaky. He's walked 2 and beaned one guy tonight. Through three innings, Puk has thrown 63 pitches. He has struck out 7 because Arkansas can't catch up to his fastball, and his slider has good late movement. Fastball and slider are the only two pitches I've seen him throw tonight. FB has some arm side run to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    To me, safe screams our drafting philosophy under Frank Wrenn. Todd Cunningham was a safe pick.

I prefer the term "bat **** crazy" to describe Wren's drafting philosophy.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

KB21 (04-14-2016)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Watching AJ Puk tonight. His fastball has some electricity. He's a left that has been working 93-95 while touching 97 a few times. His command is shaky. He's walked 2 and beaned one guy tonight. Through three innings, Puk has thrown 63 pitches. He has struck out 7 because Arkansas can't catch up to his fastball, and his slider has good late movement. Fastball and slider are the only two pitches I've seen him throw tonight. FB has some arm side run to it.
    In many ways that was the quintessential AJ Puk start- serious control issues, combined with an absolutely unhittable fastball. He didn't even really have the good slider tonight, but a great fastball with good location is going to get the job done more often than not against college hitters. Got a ton of late swings and misses on pure heat.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    World Sports News ‏@WordLinkSPORTS · 26m26 minutes ago

ESPN's Keith Law: I don't think Phillies are interested in N.J.'s Jason Groome #sports http://wordlink.com/l/3Db1b

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    World Sports News ‏@WordLinkSPORTS · 26m26 minutes ago

ESPN's Keith Law: I don't think Phillies are interested in N.J.'s Jason Groome #sports http://wordlink.com/l/3Db1b
    Hmmm... rather than get really excited about that bit of news..... it makes me wonder what they don't like....

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Hmmm... rather than get really excited about that bit of news..... it makes me wonder what they don't like....
    Or do they have a different approach as well. They have a nice core coming up and are pretty close to competing again thanks to the Hamels and Giles trade... maybe they are looking at a college player as well...Or are looking at the Stros approach and going to play the slot $ game.. Sign 1st pick below value and try to max out on their next pick..

**edit.. I didn't read the article until just now.. Law thinks the slot approach, which makes sense, except Groome may be the best pitcher that comes along for a few years... I would love for him to slip to #3
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 04-15-2016 at 09:54 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Or do they have a different approach as well. They have a nice core coming up and are pretty close to competing again thanks to the Hamels and Giles trade... maybe they are looking at a college player as well...Or are looking at the Stros approach and going to play the slot $ game.. Sign 1st pick below value and try to max out on their next pick..

**edit.. I didn't read the article until just now.. Law thinks the slot approach, which makes sense, except Groome may be the best pitcher that comes along for a few years... I would love for him to slip to #3
    Seems like the Braves want to play the same game with the 3 and 40 picks. An under slot college hitter at #3 (which Coppy has said they want) would allow them to sign another high level talent at #40 and pay him over slot. The Astros laid out the blueprint with Daz last year.

It would be hard to pass on Groome at 3 if he's there, but if it means getting Lewis/Ray at 3 and another top 15 guy at 40...I would be all for it.