Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4/18 MONDAY MINORS THREAD ... Folty, Soroka in spotlight

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    If I had "stepped into the gutter", I would agree with your point. However, I would like to know what part of stating I didn't think he would amount to much at the major league level due to his career minor league stats is going into the gutter? The answer, it didn't. I said nothing negative whatsoever of the man nor his family, nor would I. I was strictly pointing out stats he so far has compiled. Further, I hope Folty proves me wrong and has an outstanding major league career. I'd be quite happy to be the first to admit I was wrong. However, that is my problem with your criticism. Had I not liked a post of yours, I would have never responded with the disrespect that you administered.
    JMO, but I think rico's more fed up with the general tone the board has taken in recent months. What we all know...

1.) We're rebuilding.
    2.) Many folks here aren't happy with that - some of them take every opportunity to voice that opinion and aren't willing to let things play out.

The unfortunate fact is that prospects take time to develop, and some folks aren't willing to wait. Those folks tend to go out of the way to criticize everything because they're impatient - spoiled by an unparalleled run of success by a professional franchise. EVERYONE'S frustrated and wants things to move faster - we all understand - some folks just say "things aren't working" without adding "fast enough for me".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    JMO, but I think rico's more fed up with the general tone the board has taken in recent months. What we all know...

1.) We're rebuilding.
    2.) Many folks here aren't happy with that - some of them take every opportunity to voice that opinion and aren't willing to let things play out.

The unfortunate fact is that prospects take time to develop, and some folks aren't willing to wait. Those folks tend to go out of the way to criticize everything because they're impatient - spoiled by an unparalleled run of success by a professional franchise. EVERYONE'S frustrated and wants things to move faster - we all understand - some folks just say "things aren't working" without adding "fast enough for me".
    There is also a group that overreacts to every little hot streak a prospect has. I find both annoying. But that's part of life at a discussion board.

There is a tendency among some to look at the rebuild as almost guaranteeing a perpetual 90+ win team beyond a certain date. The FO certainly makes statements from time to time implying that they are on track for this. But spinning is part of their job. And I suppose some have bought into the spin or to give them more credit independently reached that conclusion.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-19-2016), cajunrevenge (04-19-2016), jpx7 (04-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Swanson needs to be in Mississippi. I understand wanting to get a look at both of them at short but you're doing Swanson any favors by not challenging him. What we need to do is move Swanson to Mississippi now. Then you let him and Albies alternate between short and second. Let each get some time there, let them get familiar with each other, and see which alignment is more comfortable for the both of them. You then should have these guys ready for a cup of coffee this year and to step in as legitimate starters next year.

Swanson, Albies, and Inciarte is a STRONG group up the middle.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I actually am a fan of the rebuild and think it was overdue. Except for a couple of questionable moves, with the Olivera trade front and center, I think this FO has done an excellent job. I'm also not impatient. I've been a diehard Braves fan since 1966 and have lived through many laughing stock years. I'm excited about our future and very much look forward to the coming years.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Swanson needs to be in Mississippi. I understand wanting to get a look at both of them at short but you're doing Swanson any favors by not challenging him. What we need to do is move Swanson to Mississippi now. Then you let him and Albies alternate between short and second. Let each get some time there, let them get familiar with each other, and see which alignment is more comfortable for the both of them. You then should have these guys ready for a cup of coffee this year and to step in as legitimate starters next year.

Swanson, Albies, and Inciarte is a STRONG group up the middle.
    Completely agree.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

The unfortunate fact is that prospects take time to develop, and some folks aren't willing to wait. Those folks tend to go out of the way to criticize everything because they're impatient .
    What I find irritating is how the people jump on and off a prospects bandwagon based on a few weeks of box scores and baseball card stats. The minor leagues are about instruction not stats. Minor league players especially pitchers are going to be working on different things during a game that may effect their performance negatively. Honestly I don't think anyone can speak in absolutes about a prospect unless they have seen the prospect play in person and not just video clips.

Rio Ruiz is a good example of people jumping on and off the bandwagon. Last year most everyone was down on him. If you looked at his stats they were bad for the most part. I watched him play many times in Mississippi last year and he flashed the ability to be the player he has been so far this year. No surprise he has started the year strong. I am surprised he has started strong in AAA. My guess was he would be in AA this year.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    What I find irritating is how the people jump on and off a prospects bandwagon based on a few weeks of box scores and baseball card stats. The minor leagues are about instruction not stats. Minor league players especially pitchers are going to be working on different things during a game that may effect their performance negatively. Honestly I don't think anyone can speak in absolutes about a prospect unless they have seen the prospect play in person and not just video clips.

Rio Ruiz is a good example of people jumping on and off the bandwagon. Last year most everyone was down on him. If you looked at his stats they were bad for the most part. I watched him play many times in Mississippi last year and he flashed the ability to be the player he has been so far this year. No surprise he has started the year strong. I am surprised he has started strong in AAA. My guess was he would be in AA this year.
    It's all about adjustments and mastery at the minor league level and a lot of fans simply look at what you've labelled "baseball card stats" and make their judgments solely on that. Every player has a development arc and you hope that the arc for the most highly-touted ones lands at the major league level. But that's not always the case. Some guys are pretty much finished products when they are drafted and hit a wall fairly soon in their careers. Others have some room between where they are currently at in terms of physical development and skill application and their ultimate ceiling. Not all reach their ceilings. Injuries, the psychological grind of playing a game predicated on failure (at least for hitters), cultural adjustments, and other factors can derail a young player.

I've been a Braves' fan since the late-1950s, so I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly, so it's easy for me to sit back and say "be patient." Believe me, I was impatient in the 1970s when the Braves were trotting out horrible team after horrible team and making ridiculous decision after ridiculous decision so I can empathize. But as someone who has watched a lot of very bad Braves' baseball, I can only say this is a great time to learn about the player development process (which I dedicated myself to when the big league team totally stunk) and hold out hope for guys and try to discern why some succeed and some fail.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There is also a group that overreacts to every little hot streak a prospect has. I find both annoying. But that's part of life at a discussion board.

There is a tendency among some to look at the rebuild as almost guaranteeing a perpetual 90+ win team beyond a certain date. The FO certainly makes statements from time to time implying that they are on track for this. But spinning is part of their job. And I suppose some have bought into the spin or to give them more credit independently reached that conclusion.
    100% agree.

I also agree with striker that we shouldn't have a particular attachment to both of the kids playing short full-time. I wouldn't mind at all seeing them alternate between short and second.

I don't think either one of them is going to be bothered by this, in terms of development. It may even provide a positive challenge.

I watched the Sox low-A club do this for most of the year last year. They had 3 strong middle-IF guys (Moncada, Javier Guerra, and Mauricio Dubon) who rotated between short, second, and DH, and it seemed to work well. Barring a trade, they are going to be playing together at the keystone eventually, so why not start that dynamic earlier?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-19-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Swanson had about 100 professional PAs at the professional level so far before this season. He now has 150 PAs. For comparison, Alex Bregman, who was drafted immediately after Swanson, got over 300 professional PAs last year before jumping to AA this year.

I would expect to see Swason get another ~100 PAs in A ball and then be moved to AA. Look for a promotion sometime next month. By then the organization will know who they want at SS, and one of Albies/Swanson will be there nearly full time. If they are truly going to be the middle infield duo for the next decade, it would be a waste to have them flip flopping positions when they play together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think there is a chance that Swanson will go to AAA when he gets promoted. That way he and Albies can continue to play short full-time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    I think there is a chance that Swanson will go to AAA when he gets promoted. That way he and Albies can continue to play short full-time.
    I can't remember the last time a prospect has skipped AA and gone to AAA.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I think if Albies and Swanson are not on the same team at some point this year then one of them will be traded. The only reason not to make the decision on which one is at short and which one is 2nd is trade value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I can't remember the last time a prospect has skipped AA and gone to AAA.
    Matt Marksberry went from Carolina to Gwinnett last year.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Matt Marksberry went from Carolina to Gwinnett last year.
    Speaking of Marksberry, he's off to a pretty good start in Mississippi and I wouldn't be surprised if he's back with the big club at some point in 2016. No urgency right now, but his numbers against LHH continue to be dominant at the minor league level.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I continue to struggle to understand the treatment of Marksberry. We've been in desperate need of lefties in the pen for two years, and he's even flashed his dominance against left-handed hitters at the MLB level.

I understand that they'd love to have him eventually develop into one of those guys that can get hitters on both sides of the plate out, but he's done little to make it look like he's going to be one of those. I'd personally stop kicking around scrap heap guys and use him as my LOOGY - but that's obviously just me.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    You can only reply to one post at a time, so one lucky poster got my general disgust that was truly directed at more than one poster here. If I reply to you, it means (in part) that I respect your opinions and point and view generally, and might have issue with one thing in particular. The trolls and morons I have simply placed on Ignore.