Page 16 of 289 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Offseason Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacheaholic View Post
    I'm not giving up Riley. He needs a winter of working with Chipper. That kind of power just doesn't come around often. He only needs to learn what the strikezone is.
    There were 125 MLB hitters in 2019 who posted average exit velocities higher than Riley on fly balls and line drives (minimum 25 such balls in play). Another 86 were within 1 mph. So yes, “that kind of power” comes along quite often.

What doesn’t come along often is a MLB player who swings and misses pitches in the zone as often as Riley did in 2019. That problem in the hit tool is going to end his career before it starts if he doesn’t figure out how to stop being a guess hitter.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (10-17-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    He only needs to learn what the strikezone is.
    is that it?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I'd do Inciarte, Wright and Weigel.
    damn really???? giving up ALL THAT for one of the best players in the league? idk man.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Hard pass from me. Where is Fried, Riley, and Anderson on that list? Much rather trade Waters than any of those 3, though Riley is pretty close to Waters.
    I forgot about Anderson to be honest. I would not want to trade him. Fried isn't under 25. I'd move Riley real quick.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    You seldom see young guys like Riley come up and display talent like he showed the first 5 or 6 weeks. Unfortunately he fell off the cliff. Can anyone recall similar displays of talent and failure? I certainly hope AAs faith in Riley is justified.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    You seldom see young guys like Riley come up and display talent like he showed the first 5 or 6 weeks. Unfortunately he fell off the cliff. Can anyone recall similar displays of talent and failure? I certainly hope AAs faith in Riley is justified.
    it was a display of good fortune more than anything else. as was pointed out all along, there were huge red flags even during the hot streak. you don't give up on him, but i think he has a long way to go still.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Yes guys come up and feast on pitchers who have not learned how to get you out. Once the book on Riley came out, he was easy prey for the most part. Now he has to rewrite his book if he can. But that is a big if.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I forgot about Anderson to be honest. I would not want to trade him. Fried isn't under 25. I'd move Riley real quick.
    I mean I'd also move Riley, but not Riley + Wright + others or something like that. Riley would have to be the main piece and they could have 2 others outside the top 10. I just can't see giving up a ton for a 1 year rental.

I mean I guess if you're building a package on under 25 guys that are talented but have lost a little of their luster like Touki and Wright, then I could see it. But otherwise, I'd pass.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Frenchy's rookie year was pretty similar in terms of tearing up the league until pitchers figured him out. Then his career took a pretty big nose dive after that. I mean, he was useful for awhile, but never a star.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I explained even at the peak of his hot streak why he was going to come crashing down to earth in a fiery ball of suck. The usual suspects with their heads in the sand didn't want to hear it, and then Riley crashed and burned exactly as expected.

Nothing changed between him being awesome and terrible other than luck and pitchers not throwing him fastball meat in fastball counts.

If AA can use him as the headliner for an impact player from a team fooled by Riley's insane first couple weeks at the MLB level, I hope he jumps at the chance.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (10-17-2019)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    damn really???? giving up ALL THAT for one of the best players in the league? idk man.
    You're right, the Red Sox should throw in some financial flexibility since it is only one year of Betts.
    Enscheff is F@G

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I explained even at the peak of his hot streak why he was going to come crashing down to earth in a fiery ball of suck. The usual suspects with their heads in the sand didn't want to hear it, and then Riley crashed and burned exactly as expected.

Nothing changed between him being awesome and terrible other than luck and pitchers not throwing him fastball meat in fastball counts.

If AA can use him as the headliner for an impact player from a team fooled by Riley's insane first couple weeks at the MLB level, I hope he jumps at the chance.
    Just out of curiosity, how do you view Aaron Judge who struggled big time in his first 100 PA in the big leagues in 2016 and how he was able to bounce back. I mean he had a 44% K rate. obviously he became a star after that. But is there anything in Riley's profile that shows he can make a similar turnaround? Judge always had a way better BB rate

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how do you view Aaron Judge who struggled big time in his first 100 PA in the big leagues in 2016 and how he was able to bounce back. I mean he had a 44% K rate. obviously he became a star after that. But is there anything in Riley's profile that shows he can make a similar turnaround? Judge always had a way better BB rate
    The differences between Judge and Riley are huge...

First, Judge has 80 grade power, whereas Riley has closer to 60 grade power. While Riley had a good 94.1 mph average exit velocity, Judge blew him away with a value of 100.2 in 2016. Comparing Riley's power to Judge's is completely laughable. Judge produces the most valuable contact in all of MLB.

Second, Riley's O-Swing% in 2019 was 41.3%, good for 22nd worst out of 320 hitters with 250+ Pas. Judges O-Swing% in 2016 was 33.6%, which would be somewhere in the middle of the pack, and it has since improved to ~25% in subsequent years. Judge's ability to identify bad pitches was far superior to Riley's, even when he was at his worst.

Third, Riley's Z-Contact% of 73.6% in 2019 ranked 3rd worst of those same 320 hitters, meaning Riley struggles greatly to make contact on strikes he decides to swing at. Not being able to make contact on strikes is a pretty big deal for a baseball player. Judges' Z-Contact% has been consistent at around 79% from day 1, and while still bad, better than Riley's...and always has been.

In short, Judge at his worst still hit the ball much harder than Riley, identified strikes much better than Riley, and made more contact than Riley.

The red flags for Riley are right red, and they have been there from the moment he took his first 50 PAs at the MLB level. He is a pure guess hitter, and until he improves upon the metrics I listed, there is no way he will stick at an MLB corner.

Can he improve those metrics? No idea, but I wouldn't bet against it from a talented 22 year old. Even if he can improve those metrics, it would be foolish to pencil him into the lineup for opening day 2020 until he shows positive signs.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-17-2019 at 04:40 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Super (10-18-2019), TURBO (10-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    The differences between Judge and Riley are huge...

First, Judge has 80 grade power, whereas Riley has closer to 60 grade power. While Riley had a good 94.1 mph average exit velocity, Judge blew him away with a value of 100.2 in 2016. Comparing Riley's power to Judge's is completely laughable. Judge produces the most valuable contact in all of MLB.

Second, Riley's O-Swing% in 2019 was 41.3%, good for 22nd worst out of 320 hitters with 250+ Pas. Judges O-Swing% in 2016 was 33.6%, which would be somewhere in the middle of the pack, and it has since improved to ~25% in subsequent years. Judge's ability to identify bad pitches was far superior to Riley's, even when he was at his worst.

Third, Riley's Z-Contact% of 73.6% in 2019 ranked 3rd worst of those same 320 hitters, meaning Riley struggles greatly to make contact on strikes he decides to swing at. Not being able to make contact on strikes is a pretty big deal for a baseball player. Judges' Z-Contact% has been consistent at around 79% from day 1, and while still bad, better than Riley's...and always has been.

In short, Judge at his worst still hit the ball much harder than Riley, identified strikes much better than Riley, and made more contact than Riley.

The red flags for Riley are right red, and they have been there from the moment he took his first 50 PAs at the MLB level. He is a pure guess hitter, and until he improves upon the metrics I listed, there is no way he will stick at an MLB corner.

Can he improve those metrics? No idea, but I wouldn't bet against it from a talented 22 year old. Even if he can improve those metrics, it would be foolish to pencil him into the lineup for opening day 2020 until he shows positive signs.
    Thanks. But this is what I was getting at. Don't we have enough case studies with comparable profiles of poor plate discipline like Riley to know it's highly unlikely he will improve? Players with poor plate discipline usually don't figure it out at the major league level. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Thanks. But this is what I was getting at. Don't we have enough case studies with comparable profiles of poor plate discipline like Riley to know it's highly unlikely he will improve? Players with poor plate discipline usually don't figure it out at the major league level. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    A guy like Springer improved his Z-Contact% from marks similarly terrible to Riley's to the 80%-85% range he has today. However, he never had an O-Swing% nearly as bad as Riley's.

Baez swings like a maniac at pitches out of the zone, and he figured out how to make it work after ~4 mediocre offensive seasons. Of course, his Z-Contact% is much better than Riley's, and he plays up the middle defense.

There haven't been many guys who swing at as many bad pitches, while missing as many good pitches as Riley...and for good reason. Those guys don't tend to succeed enough to warrant 250 PAs, and the only reason Riley did was the insane lucky streak he hit the moment he was called up.

In fact, I can't find anyone with 250+ PAs with that type of plate discipline profile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    A guy like Springer improved his Z-Contact% from marks similarly terrible to Riley's to the 80%-85% range he has today. However, he never had an O-Swing% nearly as bad as Riley's.

Baez swings like a maniac at pitches out of the zone, and he figured out how to make it work after ~4 mediocre offensive seasons. Of course, his Z-Contact% is much better than Riley's, and he plays up the middle defense.

There haven't been many guys who swing at as many bad pitches, while missing as many good pitches as Riley...and for good reason. Those guys don't tend to succeed enough to warrant 250 PAs, and the only reason Riley did was the insane lucky streak he hit the moment he was called up.

In fact, I can't find anyone with 250+ PAs with that type of plate discipline profile.
    Ok good, so your research proved my point. And this is probably a good reason that not only should he not be counted on for a starting role next season, but this is probably the best time to sell high.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I would be surprised if any team is dumb enough to be fooled by Riley’s lucky streak.

Casual fans and dumber forum posters, yes. Modern FOs? Doubtful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    I would be surprised if any team is dumb enough to be fooled by Riley’s lucky streak.

Luckily there are still some Front Offices left that are a bit behind the times. Plus, Riley has a minor league track record. So I don't believe all of the shine is lost.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

As many are probably too high on Riley....you are pretty low. He showed flashes of his ceiling in his rookie year. Absolutely killed AAA at a pretty young age. He has gotten better literally every year he has been in the system.

He will probably not be a multiple year All Star player, but it would not surprise me AT ALL for him to become a above average everyday player.

In saying that....trading him comes down to Donaldson. If we sign him back for 2-3 years....Riley could be moved. The only way he is moved is in a big deal. As long as we sign Donaldson...I’m fine with that. If Donaldson doesn’t sign, you could be looking at a Riley/Camargo duo.

We do need to make a big trade this offseason(needs to be the right one though). We have already held onto guys like Touki for too long.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    What can we sell Riley to Kansas City for?
    Forever Fredi