Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah at this point I don't see a straight up replacement for Camargo. Just someone that provides more depth than Flaherty
    If we cut Flaherty then BiLe is pretty much going to screw us in October.
    Forever Fredi

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    If we cut Flaherty then BiLe is pretty much going to screw us in October.
    Kakes might even boycott the All Star Game.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not real concerned about that part - Suarez will still only be 33 at the end of that deal if you choose to decline the team option. He's more or less what we hope Riley turns into (with maybe a little better on-base skills and defense) - controlled throughout the term your nucleus (Freeman, Albies, Acuna, Dansby, Ender, Folty, Newk, Gohara, Soroka) is AND still in his prime. You wouldn't be paying for Donaldson or Beltre's decline years, and you'd have PLENTY more money available to spend where your other needs are - bringing Markakis back on a one-year deal or signing another OF, adding pen depth or a veteran SP if AA so chooses.

All things considered, Suarez might not be a bad risk with that contract. I don't know much about him beyond his numbers and that he came up as a SS.

It seems like the prospect cost to acquire him would be significant.

My guess is that the Reds see him as a cornerstone rather than a trade asset because they don't seem like one of the franchises that likes to do clever things. But their depth chart is a bit weird, so who knows.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    All things considered, Suarez might not be a bad risk with that contract. I don't know much about him beyond his numbers and that he came up as a SS.

It seems like the prospect cost to acquire him would be significant.

My guess is that the Reds see him as a cornerstone rather than a trade asset because they don't seem like one of the franchises that likes to do clever things. But their depth chart is a bit weird, so who knows.
    yes...from the Reds perspective this is a non-starter
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    yes...from the Reds perspective this is a non-starter
    I see very little as a "non-starter" these days. Very expensive to acquire? Sure. Unlikely? No doubt.

Just don't see many teams with guys they're willing to say are off-limits and stick to it depending on situations and offers.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    I see very little as a "non-starter" these days. Very expensive to acquire? Sure. Unlikely? No doubt.

Just don't see many teams with guys they're willing to say are off-limits and stick to it depending on situations and offers.
    Well...

Folks who understand trade values a little better than you can explain why certain trades aren't going to happen.

I suggest listening to those people, regardless of what you think you see or don't see.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Well...

Folks who understand trade values a little better than you can explain why certain trades aren't going to happen.

I suggest listening to those people, regardless of what you think you see or don't see.
    I don’t know....we traded Simmons, Kimbrel, and Wood in BONEHEAD deals...so it happens. Might have a better chance of getting struck by lighting, but a sucker is born every day.

Think of it...we traded the guys above and have one major leaguer (at this point) to show from it. Sure, Muller and Riley “might” pan out, but this is the middle of 2018 and so far we have Newk from three separate trades of stars from 2015. That.Is.Horrible.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Phillips down to Gwinnett, Folty activated for start tonight

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I don’t know....we traded Simmons, Kimbrel, and Wood in BONEHEAD deals...so it happens. Might have a better chance of getting struck by lighting, but a sucker is born every day.

Think of it...we traded the guys above and have one major leaguer (at this point) to show from it. Sure, Muller and Riley “might” pan out, but this is the middle of 2018 and so far we have Newk from three separate trades of stars from 2015. That.Is.Horrible.
    You don't see any difference between the Braves 3-4 years ago and the Reds right now? Perhaps something to do with the Braves just starting a rebuild, and the Reds trying to end a rebuild?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

has a player ever been traded 3 months after signing a big multi year contract
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You don't see any difference between the Braves 3-4 years ago and the Reds right now? Perhaps something to do with the Braves just starting a rebuild, and the Reds trying to end a rebuild?
    Oh, I agree with you lol. Was just jokingly serious. Bad trades do happen. Super unlikely. Most of the proposed trades on here are laughable. When you think about what we received for the best closer in the game and the best defensive player of maybe his generation...man...it still kills me. We could have traded Kimbrel at any deadline for a King’s ransom.

Just playing devils advocate and saying maybe we get lucky. It would be about the same as me saying...maybe we will win the WS this year. It won’t happen...but 2% maybe.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 06-25-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Phillips down to Gwinnett, Folty activated for start tonight
    That has to piss Phillips off. Talk about getting jerked around.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    That has to piss Phillips off. Talk about getting jerked around.
    He'll get a bigger pay check this week. i think he'll be ok.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Oh, I agree with you lol. Was just jokingly serious. Bad trades do happen. Super unlikely. Most of the proposed trades on here are laughable. When you think about what we received for the best closer in the game and the best defensive player of maybe his generation...man...it still kills me. We could have traded Kimbrel at any deadline for a King’s ransom.

Just playing devils advocate and saying maybe we get lucky. It would be about the same as me saying...maybe we will win the WS this year. It won’t happen...but 2% maybe.
    I would estimate the Braves are 10x more likely to win the WS this year than trade for Suarez.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    He'll get a bigger pay check this week. i think he'll be ok.
    Dont forget he also got a few nice meals

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    has a player ever been traded 3 months after signing a big multi year contract
    Didn’t the marlins unload Jose Reyes , mark burhle, and a few other guys a few months after signing them?

Correction, that was 11 months....still was a quick turn around
    Last edited by bravesfanforlife88; 06-25-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    Get off my lawn!