3,676 Posts
    If this is a worn down gohara, watch out next season

9 k in 7 ip

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    820 Posts
    So after watching Gohara give up a run with nine Ks through seven innings, what's his ceiling a #2, #3, other?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    So after watching Gohara give up a run with nine Ks through seven innings, what's his ceiling a #2, #3, other?
    we have some very good pitching prospects but I think he's the best one and the one with the highest ceiling

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Gohara at 96+ with a plus slider and average control is a 2-pitch #3. Think a LHed Archer. This or dominant BP arm are his most likely outcomes.

Gohara at 94 like today probably needs above average control to be a consistent 2-pitch #3. I think he profiles as a guy that can have above average control, and is at the age where pitchers still typically improve their control.

Gohara at 96+ with a plus slider, an average change, and average control is a 4 win #2 who can be even better if the control improves even more.

The decline in FA velocity 2 games in a row is a bit concerning, but we can probably chalk it up to late season fatigue. I would like to see him shut down for the year.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-24-2017 at 03:10 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Gohara at 96+ with a plus slider and average control is a 2-pitch #3. Think a LHed Archer. This or dominant BP arm are his most likely outcomes.

Gohara at 94 like today probably needs above average control to be a consistent 2-pitch #3. I think he profiles as a guy that can have above average control, and is at the age where pitchers still typically improve their control.

Gohara at 96+ with a plus slider, an average change, and average control is a 4 win #2 who can be even better if the control improves even more.

The decline in FA velocity 2 games in a row is a bit concerning, but we can probably chalk it up to late season fatigue. I would like to see him shut down for the year.
    I'm certainly no conditioning expert, but he seems to be carrying a lot of "bad" weight, especially for someone as young as he is. I can't help but wonder if some of the fatigue is exacerbated by the apparent excess weight. I also can't help but wonder what effect that weight, if any, has on his velocity and control over time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Don't PH for our future position players.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    6-13 against the last place Phillies. Good job, Snit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    I'm certainly no conditioning expert, but he seems to be carrying a lot of "bad" weight, especially for someone as young as he is. I can't help but wonder if some of the fatigue is exacerbated by the apparent excess weight. I also can't help but wonder what effect that weight, if any, has on his velocity and control over time.
    Agreed. The determining factor keeping him from being a BP arm will be how much stamina he builds.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I really discount September performance to a great extent. My guess is in a "nothing" game, everyone was intent on seeing the kick-off for the 4:30 NFL games than today's tilt. Gohara has been impressive though, especially as he's worked his way up the ladder. Haven't seen that much of him, but there may be a couple of conditioning red flags to a guy who makes Williams Perez look slim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Damn good game by Gohara

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    6-13 against the last place Phillies. Good job, Snit.
    Fire him tomorrow - the difference between the #9 and #10 pick is absolutely going to ruin the rebuild.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    He's clearly fatigued from the workload this season- but no reason not to remain excited about him going forward. I agree he ought to be shut down for the remainder of the year, though.
    Yeah, 'cause if he can't struggle through 6 more games this week, he can definitely handle 162 six months from now.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Only 2 BBs in 19 IPs since Gohara walked 4 in his first appearance. That's a nice thing to see in this organization.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Yeah, 'cause if he can't struggle through 6 more games this week, he can definitely handle 162 six months from now.
    Dusty Baker approves of this message.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Garmel (09-24-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Only 2 BBs in 19 IPs since Gohara walked 4 in his first appearance. That's a nice thing to see in this organization.
    Gohara's improved control in the minors and majors has been really nice to see for sure. If he can develop an average change he could be a legit TOR for us with the control he's started to show.