Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Albies

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Unfortunately, we gave up a year of control to get us from the 7th pick to the 8th pick

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Unfortunately, we gave up a year of control to get us from the 7th pick to the 8th pick
    It will be unfortunate if we lose him before that time but I'm still glad I got to see him play this year. I think deep down you are too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It will be unfortunate if we lose him before that time but I'm still glad I got to see him play this year. I think deep down you are too.
    Oh he's easily my favorite player... love him. But pissed that this dumb FO:

- Gave up his age 27 season for nothing

- Apparently offered to trade him for Jose Quintana

- Apparently didn't think he was that good anyway (Hart)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-29-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He is going to completely blow that out of the water. And he signed an extension in 2013.

Eduardo Nunez isn't anything close to what Albies will likely be, and he got $4.4 million in his last arbitration season. Didi Gregorius, who is only now roughly as valuable as Albies could be immediately, got over $5 million in the 2nd of 4 arbitration years for him. Consider that by the time Albies hits arbitration, it'll be 3 more years down the road with a further increase in the market, and he likely will have shown sustained value already, and I could pretty easily see him getting something like $6-7 million in his first year of arbitration, with it increasing to 10+ by the time he hits FA. So if he's looking at this intelligently, he'd only be making more money in the first 4-5 years and only significantly more in the first 3, and he'd be making way, way less in the final 4 and could push himself into the territory in which he starts to decline. A guy like him at 30 isn't getting near what he would if he hit the FA market at 26.

I just don't think the guarantee would be enough to get him to sign it. I probably wouldn't if I were him.

He might not blow it out of the water if he stinks when the contract comes up, but sure.

He signed an extension that will pay him about 25 million total over his first six years. This deal here would pay Albies 50 million over his first six years.

You think it would be a good idea to give Albies a deal that is twice as valuable over its first six years as a player who by every reasonable expectation is better than Albies ever will be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    He might not blow it out of the water if he stinks when the contract comes up, but sure.

He signed an extension that will pay him about 25 million total over his first six years. This deal here would pay Albies 50 million over his first six years.

You think it would be a good idea to give Albies a deal that is twice as valuable over its first six years as a player who by every reasonable expectation is better than Albies ever will be?
    Albies doesn't have to be as good as Altuve to justify giving him a bigger deal. The Altuve deal is just something that has worked out for the club like no other similar deal ever will.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-30-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (09-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Lol... is sheen a braves' fan?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts

You are comparing Altuve to the player he is now to what he was when he signed that extension.

Altuve had just posted a 1.4 and 0.7 WAR seasons in his first two years. Yes he was in the middle of a great season in 2013 and the Astros did well to lock him up then but he did not sign that extension as one of the best players in baseball. It was also 5 years ago when contracts weren't as crazy as they are now.

Yes 50 million is an overpay for most players in their first 6 years due to the way salaries are kept down due to league min and arbitration rules. However if it's followed up by 4 years of ~40 million of what would be FA years then it's at a Longoria level of a discount if the player is an all-star level guy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-30-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Lol... is sheen a braves' fan?
    I think he's more of a fan of the Reds.

And drugs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (09-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Albies now pacing around 5.8 fWAR. Him and Acuna are going to be fun to watch.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    And drugs.
    Aren’t we all?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You are comparing Altuve to the player he is now to what he was when he signed that extension.

Altuve had just posted a 1.4 and 0.7 WAR seasons in his first two years. Yes he was in the middle of a great season in 2013 and the Astros did well to lock him up then but he did not sign that extension as one of the best players in baseball. It was also 5 years ago when contracts weren't as crazy as they are now.

Yes 50 million is an overpay for most players in their first 6 years due to the way salaries are kept down due to league min and arbitration rules. However if it's followed up by 4 years of ~40 million of what would be FA years then it's at a Longoria level of a discount if the player is an all-star level guy.

Has Albies played like the player Altuve is now in his first quarter of a season? If not, why would you want to pay him twice as much as Altuve got at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Has Albies played like the player Altuve is now in his first quarter of a season? If not, why would you want to pay him twice as much as Altuve got at the time.
    If the only deals you're willing to sign a release deals that favor the club as much as Altuve's, then you're not going to be very happy with any move

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    At the stage of his career, Albies has performed at a higher level.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Again, let me get this straight. You wanted to hold Albies back for "another year of control." So you want him and Acuna to become free agents at exactly the same time? I think everyone on the board needs to accept the people who advocate this are not paying customers. You cannot attend games and cheer for the Braves if you carry around this messed up mindset.

Liberty media can pay anybody anything it wants to. Any budget they lay out is written in pencil. There is no salary cap, except that which imposed on itself.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Again, let me get this straight. You wanted to hold Albies back for "another year of control." So you want him and Acuna to become free agents at exactly the same time? I think everyone on the board needs to accept the people who advocate this are not paying customers. You cannot attend games and cheer for the Braves if you carry around this messed up mindset.

Liberty media can pay anybody anything it wants to. Any budget they lay out is written in pencil. There is no salary cap, except that which imposed on itself.
    I wanted them to leave Albies down until next year, and I wanted them to keep Acuna down a year longer than that. I bet I pay more to watch the Braves live in a single season than you've spent your entire life.

I'm able to pay all that money and still look out for what's best long term. It's called being intelligent.

And no, the Braves payroll has nothing to do with Liberty's financial might. The Braves payroll is directly tied to their revenue. Asserting otherwise is pure stupidity.

The FO is rushing the rebuild for one reason...their job security demands it. Any other reason anyone cooks up and tries to sell you is wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I think we’ll stay pretty steady on course during the off-season. I do think we will end up signing 1-2 legit BP arms, but we’ll probably go into the season with a Teheran, Folty, Newcomb, Gohara, Sims/Fried rotation. I could see us adding a legit bat or arm but only if the right opportunity arises.

To me, we need to go after a legit 3B or TOR arm, but I doubt we do either.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I wanted them to leave Albies down until next year, and I wanted them to keep Acuna down a year longer than that. I bet I pay more to watch the Braves live in a single season than you've spent your entire life.

I'm able to pay all that money and still look out for what's best long term. It's called being intelligent.

And no, the Braves payroll has nothing to do with Liberty's financial might. The Braves payroll is directly tied to their revenue. Asserting otherwise is pure stupidity.

The FO is rushing the rebuild for one reason...their job security demands it. Any other reason anyone cooks up and tries to sell you is wrong.
    Hallelujah! I have finally succeeded in having you call me stupid! I was starting to feel left out. FYI: job security has driven just about every decision made in baseball since the days of Honus and Cap.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (09-30-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Hallelujah! I have finally succeeded in having you call me stupid! I was starting to feel left out. FYI: job security has driven just about every decision made in baseball since the days of Honus and Cap.
    Agreed, but not usually 3 years into a rebuild that should take 5 years. The new ballpark has changed everything.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    At the stage of his career, Albies has performed at a higher level.

LOL. Ok.