Thread: Political Correctness

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...C-lessons.html

Schools across the country have stopped using the terms BC and AD in religious education lessons for fear of offending non-Christians.

The traditional terms BC, Before Christ, and AD, Anno Domini, are being ditched for BCE – Before Common Era, and CE – Common Era.

The new terms still denote the periods before and after the birth of Christ.

Local authority committees drawing up religious education syllabuses say the old terms may upset minorities or non-believers. But critics blasted the move as a ‘capitulation to political correctness’.

Former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey said the rulings by the religious education committees were a ‘great shame’.

Muslim and Jewish leaders were also mystified, saying they were not offended by the familiar terms.

Local authority committees – known as Standing Advisory Councils for Religious Education (SACREs) – from Brighton and Essex are among a growing number urging heads to ditch BC and AD.
    Old news: my high-school (in the Florida Panhandle Bible Belt, no less) was using BCE/CE back in my freshman year (2000). We all thought it was stupid then, as fourteen-year-olds, because it didn't change the counting, just the acronym—which is why BCE/CE are actually not very common these days in the US. You much more commonly see "years before present" today, in hard-science contexts, and culturally-specific timelines (often dynastic) in histories, though BC/AD seem thoroughly entrenched at large.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I didn't encounter that until college (a few years before the turn of the millennium) but it was certainly noncontroversial at that time and place. That was two decades ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/04/bl...s-shut-down-th

Students affiliated with the Black Lives Matter movement crashed an event at the College of William & Mary, rushed the stage, and prevented the invited guest—the American Civil Liberties Union's Claire Gastañaga, a W & M alum—from speaking.

Ironically, Gastañaga had intended to speak on the subject, "Students and the First Amendment."

It was the last remark she was able to make before protesters drowned her out with cries of, "ACLU, you protect Hitler, too." They also chanted, "the oppressed are not impressed," "shame, shame, shame, shame," (an ode to the Faith Militant's treatment of Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones, though why anyone would want to be associated with the religious fanatics in that particular conflict is beyond me), "blood on your hands," "the revolution will not uphold the Constitution," and, uh, "liberalism is white supremacy."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-05-2017), thethe (10-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/zoetillman/...PVv#.idg208WyR

The Trump administration is engaged in an ongoing investigation into admissions practices at Harvard University, BuzzFeed News has learned.

The US Department of Justice suggested the investigation’s active status in a letter, dated Sept. 29, that was sent in response to a Freedom of Information Act request by a government watchdog group and a civil rights organization seeking records about investigations into admissions practices at Harvard University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The FOIA request was made in August in response to reports that DOJ would be launching an investigation related to allegations of discrimination against Asian-American students.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    How about this national crisis that Cam Newton launched.

I don't think we're over reacting enough!

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

I like Kenyon Martin criticizing Jeremy Lin for having dreadlocks...”we know you wanna be black, but your name is Lin!” Best part is Martin has tattoos in Chinese.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-05-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

And his forced apology today was pretty clear that he thinks this is a joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    I like Kenyon Martin criticizing Jeremy Lin for having dreadlocks...”we know you wanna be black, but your name is Lin!” Best part is Martin has tattoos in Chinese.
    Cultural appropriation!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (10-06-2017)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    In regard to Newton, is it so difficult to answer a question? Or to not say the first thing that pops in your head? I mean it's not like the Panthers are going to cut his pay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    In regard to Newton, is it so difficult to answer a question? Or to not say the first thing that pops in your head? I mean it's not like the Panthers are going to cut his pay.
    I still don't see how his response was sexist.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I still don't see how his response was sexist.
    I'm not convinced he had malicious intent, but there's no way in hell he would have said that to any of the male reporters in the room. If it was an attempt at a joke, he should probably stop trying to tell jokes because it wasn't remotely funny. I just don't think it should be that difficult to answer a question.

I'm also not a fan of these apologies because they come across as forced.

But I wonder how many people will boycott the NFL over this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    The fallout for the reporter from the Newton reply- http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...005-story.html

To summarize, when reporting on Newton's response to her question, it was wrong of media to not also mention that the reporter has a father that has told racist jokes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/session...k-protections/

Attorney General Jeff Sessions has reversed an Obama-era policy explicitly defining transgender workers as protected under employment discrimination laws, CBS News' Paula Reid reports.

The Wednesday policy reversal of what qualifies as employment discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act comes down to an idealogical disagreement over whether "sex" is decided by a person's birth certificate, or whether sexual discrimination includes broader gender identity. Title VII prohibits any employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin. Former Attorney General Eric Holder in 2014 interpreted "sex" discrimination to apply to discrimination based on gender identity, while Sessions' DOJ interprets that it only applies to discrimination between men and women.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I'm not convinced he had malicious intent, but there's no way in hell he would have said that to any of the male reporters in the room. If it was an attempt at a joke, he should probably stop trying to tell jokes because it wasn't remotely funny. I just don't think it should be that difficult to answer a question.

Apparently "route" is slang for a slutty girl... I'd bet Cam was going that route.

Anyways, my twitter feed has exploded with this. He is now the devil. He's lost his sponsors. People are boycotting him. Every female reporter I follow felt the need to make a statement. My goodness

I watch commercials all the time where the man is a bumbling immature idiot and the woman is the smart, rational logical one. And yet I don't see every mzn in the world throwing a hissy fit about it and threatening to boycott.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts

I don't even think he was trying to tell a joke. Historically women are not overly represented in Sports reporting - Especially football. I don't think Cam had malicious intent at all as he answered the question in a serious manner after his comment. The oversensativity of Americans is disturbing. Get over yourself (not talking about you here sir).
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    So again, why go that route when asked a football question? It's no more a hissy fit than this boycott because they kneel BS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    So again, why go that route when asked a football question? It's no more a hissy fit than this boycott because they kneel BS
    I agree on the kneeling thing. I do't care about that either.

But this "femenism" movement has gotten so out of hand that everyone has to walk on egg shells every single sentence out of their mouths

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    I agree on the kneeling thing. I do't care about that either.

But this "femenism" movement has gotten so out of hand that everyone has to walk on egg shells every single sentence out of their mouths
    I agree that it has but at the same time, he should be able to answer a question. She's the beat writer for a reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I guess the feminist card is stronger than the race card now. This is why players dont like talking to the media. They create the news instead of reporting on the news. Maybe..... just maybe..... someone should put on their big girl pants and get some thicker skin. I dont want to live in a world where everything has to be sanitized for the SJWs because their professor in Chicano studies told them they need to be offended. I can cry and pretend to be offended too, doesnt make me right.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.