Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: BRAVES FINAL DRAFT SIGNING BOARD: Backstrom on board!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    randon Drury is the best recent HS pick by the Braves after the 10th round. He was taken in the 13th round in 2010. Vodnik could end up being a gem.
    Missed on Drury, but I don't know if he required an overslot bonus. I was only outlining the guys I know who did. I wondered about Sanchez. He was heavily hyped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    wut?
    There are future first rounders that dont sign because they dont get enough money. What if the braves had enough to sign rendon back in 2008? That would be a pretty nice day 3 pick.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-10-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    The strategy this year makes sense if:

1) the Braves believe the pool of HS players available on day 3 who could be enticed by over slot bonuses is superior than in past years

2) the Braves have researched things more carefully and believe that this is a pool of players where there has been a "market efficiency" in past years

It could be some of both. I believe 2 might be true. Its something I've looked at in a cursory way and wondered in the past if we should take a few more flyers on HS players in later rounds.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-10-2019), Jaw (06-10-2019), jpx7 (06-10-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Brandon Drury is the best recent HS pick by the Braves after the 10th round. He was taken in the 13th round in 2010. Vodnik could end up being a gem.
    Gattis that same year, but essentially nothing of particular value since.

Tucker Davidson perhaps more likely contributor than Vodnik, but we'll see. Couple of other relief type dudes handing around maybe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Gattis that same year, but essentially nothing of particular value since.

Tucker Davidson perhaps more likely contributor than Vodnik, but we'll see. Couple of other relief type dudes handing around maybe.
    Tucker Davidson wasn't taken out of high school. But if we expand the conversation to all recent picks taken after round 10, I thought Shae Simmons showed a lot of promise. It's a shame he got hurt. Brandon Webb has shown well so far since being called up.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    There are future first rounders that dont sign because they dont get enough money. What if the braves had enough to sign rendon back in 2008? That would be a pretty nice day 3 pick.
    Apparently we made a serious effort to sign him. If we had it would have turned an average draft into an extremely good one. We got Kimbrel that year.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-10-2019 at 10:35 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Here's 36th rounder Anthony Hall hitting a home run.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-10-2019), jpx7 (06-10-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Tucker Davidson wasn't taken out of high school. But if we expand the conversation to all recent picks taken after round 10, I thought Shae Simmons showed a lot of promise. It's a shame he got hurt. Brandon Webb has shown well so far since being called up.
    Did not see the high school qualifier.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Some Makhi Backstrom video.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-10-2019), jpx7 (06-10-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Apparently we made a serious effort to sign him. If we had it would have turned an average draft into an extremely good one. We got Kimbrel that year.
    read an article today that said Rendon wanted 750k, which was second or third round money back then.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Some Makhi Backstrom video.

Good find. Looks like tons of bat speed.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-10-2019), jpx7 (06-10-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Thats why im saying your analysis on the strategy effectiveness is incomplete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Thats why im saying your analysis on the strategy effectiveness is incomplete.
    Signing Rendon would have been better obviously. But to draft him and not sign him is the same as not drafting him at all in my book.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    read an article today that said Rendon wanted 750k, which was second or third round money back then.
    Roy Clark supposedly begged and begged and begged for the money, but was turned away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Roy Clark supposedly begged and begged and begged for the money, but was turned away.
    It's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight but if we liked him so much we should have taken him with the second round pick we used to select Tyler Stovall and signed him for slot. It wasn't really a question of money so much as preferring another player (Stovall) for that money.

"I am your retribution."

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I think the names listed show the relative folly of expecting too much from day 3 draftees. It's betting a long shot. It might pay off, but most likely won't. And to suggest that the Braves structured their draft so they could play more long shots is a scary thought to me. That's when you know your friend has a problem and it's time for an intervention.

The Braves had the 6th most money in the draft, two first round picks and went with a second tier catcher and a college shortstop who likely can't stay at short then went with a relative unknown in the second round.

If the Braves only had one first round pick then Langeliers can easily be defended. But, with the money available and the flexibility, I for one at least am disappointed that they didn't shoot for more upside.

If Langeliers becomes a back up at the ML level, if Shewmake becomes a useful utility guy, and Philip as well, then people will look at it as an OK draft. But, those type guys are very available year to year, so how much value is really there? To me, it's a wasted opportunity.

Putting lipstick on it, doesn't make me want to kiss this pig.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I think the names listed show the relative folly of expecting too much from day 3 draftees. It's betting a long shot. It might pay off, but most likely won't. And to suggest that the Braves structured their draft so they could play more long shots is a scary thought to me. That's when you know your friend has a problem and it's time for an intervention.

The Braves had the 6th most money in the draft, two first round picks and went with a second tier catcher and a college shortstop who likely can't stay at short then went with a relative unknown in the second round.

If the Braves only had one first round pick then Langeliers can easily be defended. But, with the money available and the flexibility, I for one at least am disappointed that they didn't shoot for more upside.

If Langeliers becomes a back up at the ML level, if Shewmake becomes a useful utility guy, and Philip as well, then people will look at it as an OK draft. But, those type guys are very available year to year, so how much value is really there? To me, it's a wasted opportunity.

Putting lipstick on it, doesn't make me want to kiss this pig.

For some reason, Langeliers having a relatively high floor has evolved into the belief that his likely ceiling is as a backup catcher. I feel like that's a disservice to the description of his tools that I've read. He's not a low upside guy at all, in my view.

The Braves didn't have very many huge upside plays at #9. Rutledge perhaps was one, but I don't see any of the bats that were there as any more likely to be all stars than Langeliers.

My thing is that if they saved 1m with the #9 pick, I'd rather have seen that 1m spent trying to upgrade pick #21, then passed down further in the draft.

But they are doing modeling now and perhaps that modeling is more predictive than people's feels. My issue with Shewmake is that he didn't get any better at TAMU over his career. But he was pretty good and maybe their models show that starting point to be the best predictor of success. I don't know.

I don't have a real strong view of individual guys, but when you talk about where you spend your money, I think you probably are better off spending it on day 1 or day 2, then Day 3.

I guess it's likely that is indeed what they did. They took no senior signs, so they had a pricy two days, I would guess.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    It's easy to say with the benefit of hindsight but if we liked him so much we should have taken him with the second round pick we used to select Tyler Stovall and signed him for slot. It wasn't really a question of money so much as preferring another player (Stovall) for that money.
    Word is Rendon absolutely blew up on the summer circuit and the signing deadline didn't occur until the player enrolled in college/junior college. They had pretty much blown the budget by then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts

The Braves didn't have very many huge upside plays at #9. Rutledge perhaps was one, but I don't see any of the bats that were there as any more likely to be all stars than Langeliers.
    Rutledge, Carroll and Bishop were the high ceiling plays at tha point of the draft. I would have gone with Rutledge, but I've been warming up to Langeliers and the overall approach the Braves took this year.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Word is Rendon absolutely blew up on the summer circuit and the signing deadline didn't occur until the player enrolled in college/junior college. They had pretty much blown the budget by then.
    It's hard to keep track of all the deadline changes, but that makes more sense.

"I am your retribution."