Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senzel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Senzel

The Braves supposedly liked him a lot and would have taken him if available at the #3 pick in last year's draft. He did very well in AA this year after a mid-season promotion.

The Reds are also rebuilding like us. But they chose an approach that put less emphasis on pitching. At some point they may want to trade some of their position prospects for pitchers. They also have Eugenio Suarez, who has established himself as one of the top young third basemen in the game.

In light of the above considerations, would a trade along the lines of Allard for Senzel make sense for both teams. It is rare but not unheard of for teams to trade prospects.

We would probably have to kick in a bit more. Senzel was ranked #9 on BA's mid-season list and Allard #23. Both have probably improved their stock since, but Senzel is undoubtedly still ahead. To even it out we might have to kick in a second prospect along the lines of Touki, Wentz or Wilson. Would you do a trade like that?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    That's a tough one. Allard and Touki or Wentz no. I would do Allard and Wilson. We need a guy like him more than we need Allard

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The Braves supposedly liked him a lot and would have taken him if available at the #3 pick in last year's draft. He did very well in AA this year after a mid-season promotion.

The Reds are also rebuilding like us. But they chose an approach that put less emphasis on pitching. At some point they may want to trade some of their position prospects for pitchers. They also have Eugenio Suarez, who has established himself as one of the top young third basemen in the game.

In light of the above considerations, would a trade along the lines of Allard for Senzel make sense for both teams. It is rare but not unheard of for teams to trade prospects.

We would probably have to kick in a bit more. Senzel was ranked #9 on BA's mid-season list and Allard #23. Both have probably improved their stock since, but Senzel is undoubtedly still ahead. To even it out we might have to kick in a second prospect along the lines of Touki, Wentz or Wilson. Would you do a trade like that?
    Tough to say whether I'd do it or not. Cincinnati is where pitchers go to die so they are always looking for their next potential corpse. My guess is the Reds will probably shop Suarez, but I wonder if they will give Senzel some reps at 2B in the spring as well. He did play the position a little at Tennessee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Tough to say whether I'd do it or not. Cincinnati is where pitchers go to die so they are always looking for their next potential corpse. My guess is the Reds will probably shop Suarez, but I wonder if they will give Senzel some reps at 2B in the spring as well. He did play the position a little at Tennessee.
    Suarez has a bit more positional flexibility. But teams often make the new guy try a different position, regardless of which one is best suited to make a switch. If I were the Red I would try to extent Suarez this off-season. Try to create more value, like we did by extenting Inciarte.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Would anyone trade Gohara for Senzel. I rate Gohara higher than Allard. He is lower rated by BA and others. But the front offices might be watching what Gohara does in the majors (with the usual caveat about small samples and discounting September data).

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-14-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Getting back to your original point, it's deals like the one you propose that the Braves probably need to think about. Some reasonable, yet out-of-the-box thinking. There are times I worry that Coppolella says to himself "What's a box?"

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Would anyone trade Gohara for Senzel. I rate Gohara higher than Allard. He is lower rated by BA and others. But the front offices might be watching what Gohara does in the majors (with the usual caveat about small samples and discounting September data).
    My worry about Gohara is conditioning and whether or not he takes care of himself. I honestly don't know if he's just built the way he is and that's going to be it and he actually is in good shape or if he's not. None of us know that and every time someone sees a squatty body on an athletic field of any type, all kinds of assumptions are made. If he stays healthy, Gohara has the makings of a pretty good pitcher and of all the guys we've auditioned, he's the one I'd be least likely to trade.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    My worry about Gohara is conditioning and whether or not he takes care of himself. I honestly don't know if he's just built the way he is and that's going to be it and he actually is in good shape or if he's not. None of us know that and every time someone sees a squatty body on an athletic field of any type, all kinds of assumptions are made. If he stays healthy, Gohara has the makings of a pretty good pitcher and of all the guys we've auditioned, he's the one I'd be least likely to trade.
    I'll put you down as a maybe.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Senzel definetely has better walk/k rate, but here's their AA numbers...

Riley (203 PA) = .315/.389/.511 BABIP = .393

Senzel (235 PA) = .340/.413/.560 BABIP = .391

Riley is 20

Senzel is 22

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

Riley is 20

Senzel is 22
    I think the trade I'm suggesting is something that has a bit more plausibility a bit further down the line than this off-season. And the reason for that is it makes sense for both teams to wait a bit and see what they each have. The Braves should be looking to give Carmargo some additional opportunities at the major league level. And there is a chance (a small one in my opinion) that Riley is as good as his AA performance suggests. It is worth checking out before making a big move that settles our third base picture.

Senzel's season did end a few days early because of issues with vertigo. The doctors seem to think it will clear up, but memories of Nick Esasky (who played for the Reds and Braves) will lead anyone to be cautious about trading for him this off-season.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-14-2017 at 09:53 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

Riley is 20

Senzel is 22
    Curious to see where they start Riley next season. My guess is he goes to the big league camp as an NRI and the decision on him will be made after that. Of course, he'll be in the Arizona Fall League, so he'll have a chance to prove himself there as well.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-14-2017), jpx7 (09-14-2017)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I see Senzel as a high floor guy. Don't see him as a star offensively.

How's his defense at 3rd?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post

I think he played short and/or second some in college. Which I would take as an indication that third is not a stretch for him. Probably closer to Ruiz than Camargo defensively at third.

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

buck75 (09-14-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

His defense is supposedly pretty good. I haven't seen reports that put him in the Brooks Robinson category, but more that he'll be able to handle the position at the major league level with no problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

Pretty good. Isn't slow either.

I'm optimistic that his power will tick up above what it may now, and there could be a scratch more than he has shown, but still would be pretty valuable guy over there.
    Ivermectin Man

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    The Reds are looking to trade Iglesias this offseason and possibly Duvall to make room for Winkler. It sounds like they're peeling back a layer for younger guys. I'd expect them to be shopping Suarez and making room for Senzel.

I'd expect them to try and trade those 3 guys to beef up their SP prospects since they're so position player prospect heavy right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Do I trade Gohara for Senzel? No. Andruw Jones always said you can't pull fat. CC has had a very good career as a big guy so did Wells and Bartolo. Yeah he needs to get in better shape and probably will some this offseason being he'll end the year with the big club. Gohara may be the best starter of the whole bunch so far so no way I trade him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    The Reds are looking to trade Iglesias this offseason and possibly Duvall to make room for Winkler. It sounds like they're peeling back a layer for younger guys. I'd expect them to be shopping Suarez and making room for Senzel.

I'd expect them to try and trade those 3 guys to beef up their SP prospects since they're so position player prospect heavy right now.
    I'm guessing you mean Winker, not WinKler?
    What have you read about him? I think he's been underrated because he doesn't have huge power, but dude can hit.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    On topic, I'd deal Allard + Touki for Senzel. Probably not Allard + Wentz. Very unlikely I'd deal Gohara for him, but I think Cincy would do that.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I'm guessing you mean Winker, not WinKler?
    What have you read about him? I think he's been underrated because he doesn't have huge power, but dude can hit.
    Yes. Winker. Guess I was thinking of Henry Winkler :)

Good hit tool, good eye, power could come with increased launch angle and using his eye to turn on pitches more, crappy arm means he's destined for LF.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

Super (09-14-2017)