Page 33 of 74 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: DOB: Braves offseason about to get a lot busier. - Gamel released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    With apologies in advance to Knucksie so he can take his condescension somewhere else; With the winter meetings going in hard tomorrow and Wren being so quiet all winter long to this point and acknowledging that we really dont have that much to offer in the way of trades what would everyone comment on the following:

Chances that any of the following get traded:
    Heyward: If Wren has made another run at extending JHey and he has declined, maybe 30%
    Freeman: No chance at all this year
    J Upton: More than 40% with so many teams looking for corner power and the FA market drying up.
    Kimbrel: No chance. With the plethora of closers, his market would be pretty thin.
    Uggla: Fully expect Uggla to be the opening day starter. Not to sure about him finishing the season in Atlanta. Not much of a trade market.

IMO it is worth noting that none of the above are sure to be in Atlanta when the new stadium opens.

I cant understand why Wren is apparently interested in Logan Morrison and Raul Ibanez. Any one have input.
    The Morrison thing was a typo. Morosi had tweeted that the Brewers not the Braves were interested.

Ibanez I guess would be our main pinch hitter against righties. Signing him would probably cost Terdoslavich a spot on the roster. I'm not opposed to having some of our depth stashed in AAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post

I cant understand why Wren is apparently interested in Logan Morrison and Raul Ibanez. Any one have input.
    The reported interest in Logan Morrison seemed to be a mistake by Zack Links at MLBTR. If you follow the link he references it says "Red Sox and Brewers" instead of the "Red Sox and Braves" he posted. Regarding Ibanez, DOB pretty much shot down that rumor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The Morrison thing was a typo. Morosi had tweeted that the Brewers not the Braves were interested.

Ibanez I guess would be our main pinch hitter against righties. Signing him would probably cost Terdoslavich a spot on the roster. I'm not opposed to having some of our depth stashed in AAA.
    Oops, I made my reply before I saw yours. That said, Ibanez is too much a DH type at this point IMO. If we're looking at corner outfielder with power we ought to look into Mike Morse. It seems a wrist issue effected his power the second half last year. But he had that fixed via surgery recently and should be fine before Spring Training. I'd look into signing him, plus by doing so it keeps him from the Phillies and Marlins (reportedly both are interested along with other teams).

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Wren is looking fit lefty bat off the bench that can provide some power. Morse is not that. Not to mention Morse will be looking for bigger bucks then the braves would be paying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    Wren is looking fit lefty bat off the bench that can provide some power. Morse is not that. Not to mention Morse will be looking for bigger bucks then the braves would be paying
    Actually, Wren is apparently looking at both (lefties and righties) given his past comments this off-season. Further, Ibanez is coming off a much better season so he'll likely cost more than Morse.

That said, I expect we'll probably go for someone cheaper than both. But Morse would still be a good move IMO.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Actually, Wren is apparently looking at both (lefties and righties) given his past comments this off-season. Further, Ibanez is coming off a much better season so he'll likely cost more than Morse.

That said, I expect we'll probably go for someone cheaper than both. But Morse would still be a good move IMO.
    I would highly doubt someone is going to give a 41 year old Ibanez a lot of cash. Morse is going to get a decent about of money. Surgery or no surgery. Morse is going to get an everyday job from someone. He is not looking for a back up job.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Thanks. Ive been in isolation for the last 3 days. No news, no TV, no computer. Starved for info.

I do think there is a slight possibility that J Upton could be moved. Would help get that veteran starter. Ibanez wants to play or so weve been told. Isnt that bad in LF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Wren should be looking to acquire and RHed and LHed option off the bench, with one of them being capable of playing CF and the other a 3B/1B. The only 2 players that should be on the bench currently are Laird and Pena. Terdo and Pastor should only be backup plans. Schafer should not be anything more than AAA insurance.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I hope we don't give up on Terdoslavich. I think he could turn out to be a valuable piece to our bench plus occasional spot starter. He's always been a starter and had a productive minor league career, in fact slashing .318/.359/.567/.926 in AAA last year, so it makes sense that he might struggle the first time he was in a backup position. I think he will be much better in 2014.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    I would highly doubt someone is going to give a 41 year old Ibanez a lot of cash. Morse is going to get a decent about of money. Surgery or no surgery. Morse is going to get an everyday job from someone. He is not looking for a back up job.
    Ibanez still hit 29 homers in Seattle, so he'll get paid from someone. While Morse had a terrible second half and ended up finishing with a .651 OPS. Injury or not, that is likely to effect him getting big bucks this off-season. I expect they could get very similar contracts (probably best case for Morse if so), but Morse isn't going to get a lot more per year.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 12-08-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I would like Wilson Betemit or Eric Chavez for the Back 3B/1B options.

As far as OF goes I really like Tyler Colvin. I think he could be a nice option. I don't think he can play CF though.

Or

Rajai Davis. He would bring a big time speed factor to the bench. More then Schafer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I could see the Rays signing Morse to play first and getting the kind of rebound they got out of Loney from him.

Our own bench right now looks like this: Laird, Schafer, Terdoslavich, Pena, Pastornicky (I'm assuming La Stella or Uggla starting at second).

I actually like this bench, but suspect Wren will want to add a vet. Someone like Eric Chavez if the price is right.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Not really sure what to like. I mean Laird and Pena are what they are but Scahfer and Pastor are nothing more but pinch runners. They have no power. Terdo I like but I think he is going to be traded for a pitcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I would try to trade Schafer for a lefty reliever. Keep Terdo. Put Constanza in Schafer's roster spot. Constanza is a very good pinch hitter. Good pinch runner. Not as good a defender as Schafer, but I would use Heyward in center when needed so that offsets Constanza not being a good centerfielder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I could see the Rays signing Morse to play first and getting the kind of rebound they got out of Loney from him.

Our own bench right now looks like this: Laird, Schafer, Terdoslavich, Pena, Pastornicky (I'm assuming La Stella or Uggla starting at second).

I actually like this bench, but suspect Wren will want to add a vet. Someone like Eric Chavez if the price is right.
    Morse would be a solid move by Tampa Bay if so. But I am afraid he'll end up in Miami or Philly and do damage against us again. However, it seems currently the Rockies are the most after him. I haven't seen Tampa Bay named but they should be too.

The main issue I have with that bench is that it lacks power. My main reason for targeting Morse is because he provides that and could potentially replace what Gattis gave us off the bench last year. Gattis provided a lot of power off the bench. But now he'll be our starting catcher doing what he can to replace Mac. But he isn't going to replace that bench power lost too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I would try to trade Schafer for a lefty reliever. Keep Terdo. Put Constanza in Schafer's roster spot. Constanza is a very good pinch hitter. Good pinch runner. Not as good a defender as Schafer, but I would use Heyward in center when needed so that offsets Constanza not being a good centerfielder.
    I agree with keeping Joey T and trading Schafer. I'd also be fine with replacing him with Constanza. Constanza is the better player overall, IMO. Schafer is better in center, but Constanza is better than him playing the corner outfield spots. Plus Heyward can play center and Constanza is good enough to be our third centerfielder if needed.

BTW, I hate the Lohse trade ideas and wouldn't want to trade Joey T for him. It makes no sense to let Huddy go and then replace him via trade for Lohse.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 12-08-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    We're not going to be able to have another Gattis on the bench. It is pretty rare to have a power hitter like that as a backup.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I don't really understand what Wren is doing so far, but it appears the Nats are hot after Eric O'Flaherty and two other teams are showing interest but the Braves aren't rumored to be one of them. Why in the hell would Wren not want to bring EOF back and then to let him go to the Nats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I agree with keeping Joey T and trading Schafer. I'd try to trade Schafer too and replace him with Constanza. Constanza is the better player overall, IMO. Schafer is better in center, but Constanza is better than him playing the corner outfield spots. Plus Heyward can play center and Constanza is good enough to be our third centerfielder if needed.
    Yeah. I think you and I are about the only ones around here that fully appreciate George. I think he has one more option left, so hopefully we hold on to him whether he makes the team out of spring training or not.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    I don't really understand what Wren is doing so far, but it appears the Nats are hot after Eric O'Flaherty and two other teams are showing interest but the Braves aren't rumored to be one of them. Why in the hell would Wren not want to bring EOF back and then to let him go to the Nats.
    DOB has said all along the braves wanted to bring him back. Just because you don't see the braves name in the rumor doesn't mean they don't want him back.