Page 39 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball Offseason Edition - Derek Jeter will retire at seasons end

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Braves versus Yankees WAR projections courtesy of Steamer (with a few assumptions of my own to fill in some vacancies in the Yankees' squad):

C Gattis 4.1 McCann 4.0
    1B Freeman 3.6 Teixeira 2.0
    2B Uggla 1.3 Infante 2.2
    SS Simmons 3.8 Jeter 1.5
    3B Johnson 2.1 Uribe 2.8
    RF Heyward 5.1 Beltran 1.8
    CF BJ Upton 1.1 Ellsbury 3.8
    LF Justin Upton 3.1 Gardner 1.8

P Sabathia 3.6 Medlen 2.2
    P Kuroda 3.5 Minor 1.8
    P Nova 3.2 Wood 1.7
    P Garza 2.3 Teheran 1.4
    P Phelps 2.2 Beachy 0.2
    P Robertson 0.9 Kimbrel 1.4

Some interesting projections that I have a number of disagreements with. But the Yankees do end up about 3 games better than us if they also add Garza, Infante and Uribe.
    On what planet are 87 mph Sabathia and 47 year old Kuroda worth 3.6 and 3.5 and Medlen and Minor, 2.2 and 1.8?

WAR strikes again. I thought the wobbly defensive metrics were my big problem with it, but I guess it doesn't end there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    On what planet are 87 mph Sabathia and 47 year old Kuroda worth 3.6 and 3.5 and Medlen and Minor, 2.2 and 1.8?

WAR strikes again. I thought the wobbly defensive metrics were my big problem with it, but I guess it doesn't end there.
    Yeah. Those projections raised my eyebrow too. This isn't about WAR so much as the Steamer projection system.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post

Minor put up a 3.4 last year. I would expect something similar or better in 14. I don't know why Steamer is so negative.

Kuroda has been pretty decent. He put up a 3.8 last year, so that projection is realistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    These projection systems are a weighted average of the past three years for the most part. So they tend to like players who have had several years of high productivity, and they underrate young players who are establishing themselves at a high level. I'm a little puzzled though as to why they rate Minor and Medlen so low and yet have Gattis with a pretty high projected WAR. Maybe their system gives more weight to the most recent season for hitters and less for pitchers.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    My problem with the Yankees isn't the fact that they spend a boatload of money and buy up all the free agents they want. My problem is that they act like they have some brilliant mystique, and don't like to bring up the real reason for their success.

They're like that kid back in high school that thought he was hot stuff for scoring a date with the prettiest girl in the class, even though everyone knows it's because he's the only one who has a car and everyone else is riding on bicycles.

I don't hate them, but I certainly don't respect them for their blunt instrument approach to building teams.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    The ironic thing is when they went on their run in the late 90s, they didn't do it with a plethora of big-money superstars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Seattle is going to trade Franklin, please, please, please get him, Wren.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'd go for Franklin for sure. Not sure what they are looking for honestly. Wouldn't trade any of our starting pitchers in the major leagues for him unless they gave us a significant piece in return.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Nick Franklin was very similar to Dan Uggla in 2013.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmykayak View Post
    My problem with the Yankees isn't the fact that they spend a boatload of money and buy up all the free agents they want. My problem is that they act like they have some brilliant mystique, and don't like to bring up the real reason for their success.

They're like that kid back in high school that thought he was hot stuff for scoring a date with the prettiest girl in the class, even though everyone knows it's because he's the only one who has a car and everyone else is riding on bicycles.

I don't hate them, but I certainly don't respect them for their blunt instrument approach to building teams.
    The New York Yankees. Purchasing excellence since 1919.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m

Sources: #Nationals making strong run at free-agent LH reliever O'Flaherty. #Dodgers, #Phillies also have shown interest.

I think we can scratch him off the list of Loogy's for the braves. Those 3 teams will give him 5+ mill a year.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Andy Martino ‏@MartinoNYDN 19m

At least one rival team has been already been told #Mets willing to move Daniel Murphy this week.

I would like Murphy to be our 2Bman but I know the Mets want send him within the division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    Andy Martino ‏@MartinoNYDN 19m

At least one rival team has been already been told #Mets willing to move Daniel Murphy this week.

I would like Murphy to be our 2Bman but I know the Mets want send him within the division.
    I don't think the Mets would care about that so long as they got a good return. The question is whether Murphy is an upgrade over our internal options.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    We have 1 internal option and thats LeStalla. Yes I think Murphy is better then LeStalla but I think LeStalla would out produce him in the second year or so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't think the Mets would care about that so long as they got a good return. The question is whether Murphy is an upgrade over our internal options.
    I'd love to get Murphy for the right price. But more for a future option at third than second. Murphy is a much better third baseman than second baseman. So he could replace Chris Johnson down the road (or now for that matter).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Pissing off your highest bidder is not a good idea. I guess we need to applaud Jay Z for getting his client 60 million less than he asked for?

Who is hova?
    lol what is your basis for hating on HOV?
    he's a business(,man) who just got his biggest fish a 10 yr deal for 24 mil per.
    I'm sure his company knew Cano would not get 300MM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m

Sources: #Nationals making strong run at free-agent LH reliever O'Flaherty. #Dodgers, #Phillies also have shown interest.
    If we lose him to the Nats it could very well cost us the division, esp. since they already added Fister. EOF is a great lefty and the Nats seriously lacked in that area last year. He'd be a huge bullpen upgrade for them so hopefully it doesn't happen.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    If we lose him to the Nats it could very well cost us the division, esp. since they already added Fister. EOF is a great lefty and the Nats seriously lacked in that area last year. He'd be a huge bullpen upgrade for them so hopefully it doesn't happen.
    Agreed, we need to bring him back.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-08-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Of all the money being thrown around like rappers at a strip club, including that of my most-hated-for-life club the Bankees, the best money being spent is the 3-$45m they gave to Beltran. One of the most underrated players of his generation.

As usual, I don't buy the WAR figures that show him giving back half his offensive value on defense. For a corner outfielder, that's simply not possible. There needs to be some sort of weighting for the defensive metric and it should be different at different positions.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 12-08-2013 at 10:45 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Agreed, we need to bring him back.
    I agree. He's got a new ligament. We should offer him a handsome multi year deal. We can always deal him if it doesn't fit into our payroll, and send him to somewhere inconsequential. Washington is not inconsequential.