Freeman: 20.5
    Markakis 10.5
    Teheran 6.3
    Flowers 3
    Total Guaranteed: 58.3M

Inciarte: 2M (estimated arb)
    Viz: 2M (estimated arb)
    Total Estimated Arb: 4M

Pre arb players: Peterson, Swanson, Albies, Garcia, Smith, Folty, Wisler, #5 starter, 5 relievers
    Total pre arb (13 players): 7M

Sub-total for guaranteed, arb and pre-arb players (20 players): 69.3M

Let's say our opening day payroll is 120M. That would leave about 51M for a catcher, a starting pitcher, a veteran reliever, 2 bench players, and maybe an upgrade at third.

Here is one possible scenario:

McCann 17M (in this scenario we take on his full salary to minimize the quality of prospect we send to the Yankees)
    4th starter caliber signing or trade acquisition 10M
    Veteran reliever and a couple guys like KJ and Francoeur for the bench: 8M
    Total for acquired players: 35M

In this scenario, we have some funds to play with in going for a third baseman if our opening day payroll is 120M. If our payroll is closer to 100M, then we have to consider a cheaper acquisition at catcher (for example by sending better prospects to the Yankees in exchange for them picking up part of McCann's salary). A 120M opening payroll would allow us to take on all of McCann's salary and go for an upgrade at third (or alternatively a bigger acquisition for the starting rotation or two mid-rotation type acquisitions rather than one).

It seems to me how we conduct our post-season will be significantly impacted by whether the target for opening day payroll is 100M, 110M, or 120M. Under a 100M scenario, we likely will get just one starter and forgo any upgrade for third. Under a 110M budget, we could squeeze in a bit more but only saving a bit on catcher. Under the 120M scenario, we could take on McCann's full salary or compete for Ramos at catcher and still have enough for a third baseman (or a bigger upgrade for the starting pitching).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-06-2016 at 11:17 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-07-2016), The Chosen One (09-06-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Definitely going to be interesting. We will have some flexibility to make this team at least close to competitive. Really hoping we don't trade Inciarte in the off season, however, he has really rebounded and shown to have a lot of value to someone. So if trading him in a package for say someone like Chris Sale became an option, i'd seriously have to look at it. Let Mallex open the season as our everyday CF while upgrading a rotation that has been a disaster all year. Also, I hate not having a LHP in the rotation.

Teheran
    Sale
    Wisler
    Folty
    5th starter (veteran FA, Blair, Perez, etc.)
    Get off my lawn!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-07-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I could see Markakis being traded opening up another 10.5 million. In that scenario do you upgrade 3b and put Mallex in RF or upgrade RF?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (09-06-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Definitely going to be interesting. We will have some flexibility to make this team at least close to competitive. Really hoping we don't trade Inciarte in the off season, however, he has really rebounded and shown to have a lot of value to someone. So if trading him in a package for say someone like Chris Sale became an option, i'd seriously have to look at it. Let Mallex open the season as our everyday CF while upgrading a rotation that has been a disaster all year. Also, I hate not having a LHP in the rotation.

Teheran
    Sale
    Wisler
    Folty
    5th starter (veteran FA, Blair, Perez, etc.)
    Not that I disagree with the option (if possible), but please change the rotation haha

Sale
    Teheran
    Wisler
    Folty
    Gant/Perez/Whoeveaaahh

I think there's a really good chance that we see both Prado and McCann in a Braves uniform next year. I personally would put as much as I can into Ramos and see if we can get him here. That being said, what would really be his incentive to leave?

Nonetheless:

Albies 2B
    Prado 3B
    Freeman 1B
    Kemp LF
    Ramos C
    Swanson SS
    D. Pete RF (if he can make the transition)
    Sale
    M. Smith CF

All that being said, I do think Mac and Prado with NO shot at Sale is likely.
    That's a really solid lineup/rotation.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-07-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    It just seems like the Nats are cursed for some reason. Also they may not be able to afford Ramos if they are planning on resigning Harper. He's gonna cost 30 million per at the least.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    It just seems like the Nats are cursed for some reason. Also they may not be able to afford Ramos if they are planning on resigning Harper. He's gonna cost 30 million per at the least.
    Harper is planning on at least $40M. 30 won't even be in the game.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Harper is planning on at least $40M. 30 won't even be in the game.

not if he keeps playing like he is this year. no way someone gives him 40 per for 3 straight years like this one. he would still get 30 though..just on potential and his MVP year.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    not if he keeps playing like he is this year. no way someone gives him 40 per for 3 straight years like this one. he would still get 30 though..just on potential and his MVP year.
    Won't keep him from expecting it though

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (09-06-2016), JohnAdcox (09-07-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    My thing with all the free agents is I don't trust most of them to play like they have in 2016. If we could get the Ramos of 2016 I would be all for it but I am certain Ramos will never come close to this year again. Similar with Turner who has bad knees. This FA period looks like a mine field.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    My thing with all the free agents is I don't trust most of them to play like they have in 2016. If we could get the Ramos of 2016 I would be all for it but I am certain Ramos will never come close to this year again. Similar with Turner who has bad knees. This FA period looks like a mine field.
    if you compared Matt Wieters numbers with Wilson Ramos number for the career they have about the same numbers. They braves should try hard to trade with the pirates for Francisco Cervelli. Plan B should be to give Markakis for McCann.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I'm not giving up talent whether they pay for BMac or not. If they lay half his salary a guy like Povse is the best I'd give up. He currently has negative value with that salary.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us take on dead salary, someone similar to Butler, to minimize prospects given up for talent we want.
    I'm really interested to see how this offseason unfolds. I wouldn't be surprised if we go for a frontend controlled starter.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I'm not giving up talent whether they pay for BMac or not. If they lay half his salary a guy like Povse is the best I'd give up. He currently has negative value with that salary.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us take on dead salary, someone similar to Butler, to minimize prospects given up for talent we want.
    I'm really interested to see how this offseason unfolds. I wouldn't be surprised if we go for a frontend controlled starter.
    I am kind of worry that teams request a huge trade for players like Archer and Grey. Example: Archer for Newcomb, Allard and something else. I think we need to sign players like Doug Fister and Jeremy Hellickson that we can trade them during the trade deadline.

Another thing a lot of people here wants Prado back and I will love to have him back but at the same time we are going to become a contact team. Prado, Swanson, Smith, Albies and Inciarte.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    We need to go with young cheap pitching. It's why we drafted the way we did. These ace pitchers will cost us a ton to aquire and there is no garuntee they won't get hurt (like Kershaw). If we were WS contenders and needed that one peice sure, but we might have an ace in a young guy that would be traded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Cursed? They got Strasburg and Harper with the #1 pick in back-to-back drafts. That's about as lucky as a franchise can get.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-07-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Cursed? They got Strasburg and Harper with the #1 pick in back-to-back drafts. That's about as lucky as a franchise can get.
    Still hasn't gotten them anywhere. For some people that's all that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I suspect some of our signings this off-season will continue to be of the "assets to be flipped" variety. But we should be able to show in a more expensive aisle for some of those assets. So the 2017 versions Chacin and Norris will be closer to mid-rotation type starters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Still hasn't gotten them anywhere. For some people that's all that matters.
    That's definitely all that matters...but still, cursed doesn't seem right.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    if you compared Matt Wieters numbers with Wilson Ramos number for the career they have about the same numbers. They braves should try hard to trade with the pirates for Francisco Cervelli. Plan B should be to give Markakis for McCann.
    Why would the Pirates even consider trading Cervelli when they just signed him to a relatively team-friendly extension?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I suspect some of our signings this off-season will continue to be of the "assets to be flipped" variety. But we should be able to show in a more expensive aisle for some of those assets. So the 2017 versions Chacin and Norris will be closer to mid-rotation type starters.
    I agree 100%. It gives a chance to win if the moon and stars align just right. It gives the fans the feeling we're "going for it". It gives us some assets to flip if things don't work out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post

Ok so they drafted Harper and Strasburg. Where has that gotten them? It's meaningless without a ring.