Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    I want Kyle Lewis if he is still there at 5.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-11-2017), Julio3000 (04-11-2017), Tapate50 (04-11-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Although it'll drive some folks crazy, I'm not sure Bukauskas might not be a really good fit. He's going to move FAST, and could conceivably be ready to help the rotation as early as late 2018. Being able to add someone that quickly suddenly frees you up to trade an arm (or two or three) for a serious bat. If you believe in Fried and Allard and Gohara (which I do), taking J. B. if he's there at #5 suddenly makes swapping an arm or two for Moustakas and extending him to solve 3B sure makes A LOT of sense.

If the Royals don't start playing much better really soon, DMGM would be crazy not to take Newcomb for Moose straight up IMO. That still leaves us the 3 lefties mentioned above, Bukauskas, and Soroka - all of whom should be ready to step in by 2019 at the latest, plus Weigel, Sims, Touki and last year's draftees.
    I like Bukauskas a lot, and I'm glad he's actually taking the next step this spring. My fear is some people are pegging him with a decent reliever risk. Most of it seems to stem from him being short though, since most reports on the changeup this spring are really positive. The fastball-slider combo is ridiculous. I strongly want a bat, but I'd still be plenty happy with Greene (not happening) or Bukauskas.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't mean for the template to be so inflexible as to preclude taking certain types of players in certain parts of the draft. But I do think if historically you tend to have the most success with high school hitters in rounds 2 and 3 and the least success with high school pitchers in those rounds you should take that information into account. I was really struck at the time of the 2015 draft how much it conformed to that kind of analysis. Given the 2016 draft, it is obvious that the Braves are not rigidly adhering to a template of that kind. The point of my post was that the success of the 2015 draft reinforces the case I laid out (which is based on data from prior drafts).
    But the HS pitchers we took in the 2nd round last year weren't really 2nd round picks, so it's a bit of a stretch to me to say that it would have been better to go HS hitters there because 2nd round HS pitchers don't fare as well. They were taken in the 2nd round but at least Wentz was considered a 1st round pick by most.

I'm also a bit curious as to what you mean by the outcomes so far reinforcing going upside with your first pick. I agree with going upside with your first pick, but I'm not sure the results so far indicate Allard has a clearly higher ceiling than Anderson or that he was a clearly better pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    But the HS pitchers we took in the 2nd round last year weren't really 2nd round picks, so it's a bit of a stretch to me to say that it would have been better to go HS hitters there because 2nd round HS pitchers don't fare as well. They were taken in the 2nd round but at least Wentz was considered a 1st round pick by most.

I'm also a bit curious as to what you mean by the outcomes so far reinforcing going upside with your first pick. I agree with going upside with your first pick, but I'm not sure the results so far indicate Allard has a clearly higher ceiling than Anderson or that he was a clearly better pick.
    Allard was the high upside pick available in 2015....i don't think the same could be said of Anderson

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (04-11-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Allard was the high upside pick available in 2015....i don't think the same could be said of Anderson
    Anderson was certainly an upside pick. If anything, it was the risk associated with him being a barely scouted HS RHP that had him fly under the radar.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yeah, I'll be honest, I just don't get this narrative around Anderson. He wasn't rated as high as 3 by most people entering the draft, but that in no way means he didn't have the same upside as any of those guys. You can argue best value if you want, but Anderson has as high a ceiling as anybody taken around him in the draft.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    ? We're 33 games into the season now. Kendall is slashing .309/.394/.604 with 10 HR. The problem is, he's striking out a ton and doesn't have a ton of steals. I'm not sure I want him at 5.
    For reference, at the same school and at the same age, Swanson posted a .335/.423/.623 (1.046 OPS) with 15 HRs, 16/18 in SBs, and a BB:K ratio of nearly 1:1 (43:54). He will probably settle in as a sub-.800 OPS guy with double digit steals at the MLB level.

Kendall is currently slashing .309/.394/.604 (.998 OPS) with 10 HRs, 13/16 in SBs, and a pretty ugly BB:K ratio of 18:40. He appears to be lesser offensively than Swanson and has contact issues...not exactly the top of the lineup prospect you want in a "speedy" CFer taken #5 in the draft. Unless he is an Ender-level defender in CF, I don't want him at 5 either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I'd like to take Royce Lewis or Austin Beck if that works out. That would put them on the same timeline as Maitan and the IFA class in GCL/Danville this year and hopefully Rome next year.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Just to add on... Anderson wasn't a low-upside pick.

The kid was a 6-3 HS righty with a plus fastball, good slider and an average changeup at 18. People may not have liked Ian>Kyle -- but IA has a lot of upside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Yeah, I'll be honest, I just don't get this narrative around Anderson. He wasn't rated as high as 3 by most people entering the draft, but that in no way means he didn't have the same upside as any of those guys. You can argue best value if you want, but Anderson has as high a ceiling as anybody taken around him in the draft.
    his willingness to sign significantly below slot is a hint

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Would you trade for anyone who was picked after him? Puk maybe?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    For reference, at the same school and at the same age, Swanson posted a .335/.423/.623 (1.046 OPS) with 15 HRs, 16/18 in SBs, and a BB:K ratio of nearly 1:1 (43:54). He will probably settle in as a sub-.800 OPS guy with double digit steals at the MLB level.

Kendall is currently slashing .309/.394/.604 (.998 OPS) with 10 HRs, 13/16 in SBs, and a pretty ugly BB:K ratio of 18:40. He appears to be lesser offensively than Swanson and has contact issues...not exactly the top of the lineup prospect you want in a "speedy" CFer taken #5 in the draft. Unless he is an Ender-level defender in CF, I don't want him at 5 either.
    I personally like Kendall much more than someone like Corey Ray, who many on here wanted at No. 3 in last year's draft. Kendall's offensive profile is similar to Ray's was/is, but Kendall is much better defensively than Ray could dream of being.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I personally like Kendall much more than someone like Corey Ray, who many on here wanted at No. 3 in last year's draft. Kendall's offensive profile is similar to Ray's was/is, but Kendall is much better defensively than Ray could dream of being.
    Ray would have been a disaster of a pick the way he has started.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    To be fair, Milwaukee rushed him like crazy and then he had the knee injury.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I really wanted Corey Ray.

Shows what I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I really wanted Corey Ray.

Shows what I know.
    This is the reason why I think it's worth less to evaluate a draft in the same year and even 2 years down the road. Have to trust the scouts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Remember all the criticism for the Soroka pick? We will see the same back and forth this year as well regardless of who the braves pick.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Remember all the criticism for the Soroka pick? We will see the same back and forth this year as well regardless of who the braves pick.
    As Dan LeBatard puts it, Draft coverage / grades is "hope trafficking".

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    As Dan LeBatard puts it, Draft coverage / grades is "hope trafficking".
    Well said.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    No, it isn't.

This is what I'm talking about. People have equated 'projected 13th and taken 3rd' or 'signed for $2 mil under slot' with 'lacks upside.' But it isn't the case at all. He was projected lower because he was younger and had less of a track record than the guys ahead of him, not because he lacked the same upside.

Did Ronald Acuna sign for $100,000 because he lacked upside? Of course not. Or looking at this year's draft, if Kendall is drafted higher or signs for more money than Adell, does that mean he has more upside? No, Adell clearly has more upside. He is just younger, with less of a track record, further away from the majors, and more risk.

Your value is basically your talent against your risk, assuming those things have been evaluated properly. So the reason Anderson signed for less is because we could go to him and say, 'Look, you're projected here, which would slot for this money. If we take you at 3, we'll offer you this. Will you take it?' Coming back by saying, 'No, because I have more talent than that' wouldn't make sense. It's not about talent, it's about where you're likely to go otherwise.

Value and upside are not the same thing. Mallex Smith and Luiz Gohara may have similar values. Gohara clearly has more upside. Anderson has a ton of upside, the idea that he's a Mike Minor is insane.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

chop2chip (04-11-2017), Preacher (04-11-2017), zedsdead (04-11-2017)