Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 DRAFT LIST AND SIGNINGS

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Jim Callis:

12th-rder Nolan Kingham signs w/@Braves for $150k ($25k counts vs pool). Texas RHP, flashed 1st-rd stuff (up to 97 w/fastball, nasty slider) at times in 2017, lot of 88-93 & average sliders this spring. @MLBDraft

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-02-2018), jpx7 (07-02-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Beck must have a hell of an agent.
    That or the Braves REALLY wanted to show him "hey, we still like you".

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    That or the Braves REALLY wanted to show him "hey, we still like you".
    AWWWWWW...really hurts your feelings that I was right about Beck, doesn't it?

It'll all be OK...here's a cookie, now go play.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    AWWWWWW...really hurts your feelings that I was right about Beck, doesn't it?

It'll all be OK...here's a cookie, now go play.
    LOL...so dumb...

Several folks were mocking you for your "reasoning" behind Beck getting an over slot deal, not the fact the deal may be over slot.

As usual, you're simply too stupid to even understand why you're stupid.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Lubbock Sports Radio 1340 reported on June 27 that Harpenau tweeted that he accepted the Braves offer. The Lubbock paper also indicated as much in an article June 24. Guess that counts as a confirmation.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-03-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (07-02-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-03-2018), jpx7 (07-03-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Not awesome, but at least explanatory.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Going to be interesting. If it’s an injury, I wonder how much we are even offering him. Say he takes $3 million, we could have $2+ million to spread through our late picks.

Hopefully all this is wrong and he signs for slot with a healthy arm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    From Pipeline:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-mlb-dr...?tid=151437456

Braves: Carter Stewart, RHP, Eau Gallie HS (Melbourne, Fla.)
    No. 8 overall, pick value: $4,980,700

A wrist injury bothered Stewart toward the end of his high school season and has created concerns for the Braves after they viewed the results of his post-Draft physical. The two sides are believed to be the furthest apart of any of the first-round pairings, with Atlanta reportedly offering $4 million to the Mississippi State recruit. If the Braves can sign him for around that amount, they'll make a run at 34th-rounder Zack Hess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I love college baseball and am totally fine with kids going to school, but if he turns down $4 million as a HS pitcher, he is crazy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    From Pipeline:

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-mlb-dr...?tid=151437456

Braves: Carter Stewart, RHP, Eau Gallie HS (Melbourne, Fla.)
    No. 8 overall, pick value: $4,980,700

A wrist injury bothered Stewart toward the end of his high school season and has created concerns for the Braves after they viewed the results of his post-Draft physical. The two sides are believed to be the furthest apart of any of the first-round pairings, with Atlanta reportedly offering $4 million to the Mississippi State recruit. If the Braves can sign him for around that amount, they'll make a run at 34th-rounder Zack Hess.

There just isn't any reason for the Braves to play hardball here. In for a penny in for a pound.

Take your par and move on.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    There just isn't any reason for the Braves to play hardball here. In for a penny in for a pound.

Take your par and move on.
    well if they can get him for $4M and sign hess then there's a reason...
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    well if they can get him for $4M and sign hess then there's a reason...
    I doubt the Braves' front office is making up the wrist concerns, but getting him and Hess would be pretty incredible.

There is somewhat of a history with Anthopoulos and this stuff. Toronto didn't sign Tyler Beede, Phil Bickford or Brady Singer when he was there after picking them early. They found a small concern on Singer's physical and offered him half slot value. UF people didn't think it was a concern at all, and he was a dominant college pitcher without any health issues until he has a hamstring injury late this season. Then he goes first round in the draft.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I doubt the Braves' front office is making up the wrist concerns, but getting him and Hess would be pretty incredible.

There is somewhat of a history with Anthopoulos and this stuff. Toronto didn't sign Tyler Beede, Phil Bickford or Brady Singer when he was there after picking them early. They found a small concern on Singer's physical and offered him half slot value. UF people didn't think it was a concern at all, and he was a dominant college pitcher without any health issues until he has a hamstring injury late this season. Then he goes first round in the draft.
    I would prefer AA not try that. sign your 1st round pick.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-03-2018)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

They absolutely cannot let Stewart not sign short of a fully legitimate, career threatening injury (which raises other questions). They already have lost a significant amount of potential future talent due to Coppy gate AND, now that they are playing better, will lose future draft position, plus face a J2 next year where they can sign no one for more than $10,000 THEN get their J2 pool cut in half the year after that.

If Stewart does have some kind of career ending type injury, then that may just be bad luck or potentially someone dropped the ball on the background side of scouting. But short of that, AA better get this thing done.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    They absolutely cannot let Stewart not sign short of a fully legitimate, career threatening injury (which raises other questions). They already have lost a significant amount of potential future talent due to Coppy gate AND, now that they are playing better, will lose future draft position, plus face a J2 next year where they can sign no one for more than $10,000 THEN get their J2 pool cut in half the year after that.

If Stewart does have some kind of career ending type injury, then that may just be bad luck or potentially someone dropped the ball on the background side of scouting. But short of that, AA better get this thing done.
    If he doesn't sign don't they get that pick next year or did that change in a recent CBA?

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    If he doesn't sign don't they get that pick next year or did that change in a recent CBA?
    Pretty sure they still do, it would just be one pick lower (so pick 9, I guess).

I don’t know enough about the injury or next year’s draft to say if it would be worth it not to sign him for the extra pick next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    Pretty sure they still do, it would just be one pick lower (so pick 9, I guess).

I don’t know enough about the injury or next year’s draft to say if it would be worth it not to sign him for the extra pick next year.
    You're right, it would be the 9th pick. So the 9th pick and one in the late 20s. I'm still crossing my fingers that Markakis receives and turns down a qualifying offer, giving us another pick. But that's just the draft geek in me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    You're right, it would be the 9th pick. So the 9th pick and one in the late 20s. I'm still crossing my fingers that Markakis receives and turns down a qualifying offer, giving us another pick. But that's just the draft geek in me.
    Would the amount of money to sign them go up next year? If not, seems you'd just get a couple lesser prospects instead of a really good one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Would the amount of money to sign them go up next year? If not, seems you'd just get a couple lesser prospects instead of a really good one
    The slot values always stay around the same. So the slot value for #9 would be a little less than #8. The difference between the two picks this year was $219k. But if Stewart doesn't sign, we would definitely have a bigger bonus pool next year because that would mean two first-round picks (unless we lose ours signing a big free agent this year) PLUS we will likely have a third-round pick next year where we didn't for this draft.