Results 5,821 to 5,840 of 9184

Thread: Meme & Quote Thread

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    We certainly do believe in the right to have your own thoughts... But don't believe in the right to hurt another individual

But you knew that
    So you're cool with the tweet, then?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Paul's?

I looked it up myself, and didn't see anything jarring until the article zoomed in on the faces and averted my attention to very clearly racist cartoon (I was reading the words)

Now we could look at this 2 ways.

1. Like an emotional leftist who assumes racism 100% of the time and declare the man a racist without thought

Or

2. Like a rational human being. And realizing he probably didn't notice the faces either until it was pointed out to him, to which he promptly took it down. After all, the point of the tweet was about curtural marxism hysteria, not taking shots at other cultures.

Seeing as how the guy had a mic in his face for 40 years and never uttered a racist phrase in his life, I tend to land on the rational side.

But by all means, scream at the sky.

And to answer your puzzlement... I have a problem with accusations of racism bc it completely devalues legitimate racism. When 57 calls me tikiboy, a rational person will look at that and remember everytime the left throws their slurs, 90% of the time it's meaningless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yes, in 40 years, not a peep of racism out of the man except the horrifically racist newsletters, which were totally the work of someone else, just like this tweet. A decent critical thinker might then ask themselves: why does Ron Paul attract horrifically racist employees who cater to an audience who apparently has an appetite for this stuff? Can I expect that level of reflection and self-awareness from you? Prolly not.

Chicken**** is not chicken salad. Dude posted a cartoon which is, without hyperbole, comfortably of a piece with Nazi racist propaganda.

You've got some questions to ask yourself, the way I see it. Who is the audience for this, and why? Why are accusations of racism worth posting about, while genuine racist trash should get a do-over?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (07-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Again, will address further off mobile, but if he intentionally posted a racist cartoon, why would he pull it down right after?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Runnin (07-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Again, will address further off mobile, but if he intentionally posted a racist cartoon, why would he pull it down right after?
    Why do you think the essential point is if he "intentionally posted a racist cartoon" or not?

Let's take RP's word for it and stipulate that a staffer posted it. Fine. What does it say about Ron Paul that people he hires are swimming in that sewage? Why does Steve King re-tweet neo-Nazis? Why does Dinesh D'Souza retweet a tweet tagged #burnthejews? We'll take his explanation at face value and say that he was merely retweeting a positive review of his book, but shouldnt that lead to the question "why does a Nazi ****bag like my book so much"?

Like, there's an elephant sitting in the room, taking a dump in the corner, and all you seem to care about is whether somebody's getting called a racist. Rewind to Charlottesville, when there were white supremacists chanting "Jews will not replace us," discharging firearms, and committing actual murder, and you seemed to be primarily concerned with not calling people Nazis, and pearl-clutching about monuments.

The issue for me is not whether sturg or Ron Paul is personally a racist, but rather how you rationalize the blatant racism that (virtually) surrounds you, and whether that's ever been cause for a self-inventory on your part.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (07-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    ok now I am pissed off, you have one chance to apologize before I verbally castrate your opinion.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Why do you think the essential point is if he "intentionally posted a racist cartoon" or not?

Let's take RP's word for it and stipulate that a staffer posted it. Fine. What does it say about Ron Paul that people he hires are swimming in that sewage? Why does Steve King re-tweet neo-Nazis? Why does Dinesh D'Souza retweet a tweet tagged #burnthejews? We'll take his explanation at face value and say that he was merely retweeting a positive review of his book, but shouldnt that lead to the question "why does a Nazi ****bag like my book so much"?

there is a thing with many Libertarians called race realist. Basically they figure the races and genders that dominated history did so because they are superior. I havent delved deep enough to know if its specifically about white superiority or black infiriority but its a reasonable conclusion one could reach if you truly look at history with an open mind.

Paul has been in politics for 40 years and not in one video or interview he has said anything like that tweet and the news letter. I dont know of a single issue Ron has flipped on and he has always beem very vocal about his beliefs no matter hiw unpopular the idea was at the time. Does that sound like a guy who would be shy if he had racist views?

Here he is calling for legalization of drugs in 1988 during thr height of the drug hysteria. You think he secrerly had views he was hiding because they werent popular?

here Ron is exposing the racist origins of the war on drugs in 1988. At the end of the day its actions that matter. Lets say he wrote the news letter and the tweet. Should black people vote for a politician who suports policies that are designed to **** over black people who has no racist public statements instead of Ron Paul who wnats to end the war on drugs and mass incarceration and harassment of minoroties because he made 2 public statements that were racist? How many politicians have been around as long as Ron without either far worse statememts or just as bad ones that were proudly said on national tv like Hillary?

I watched one guy today who months ago was shamed and had to apologize for sexist statements he made 20 years ago criticize Ron Paul for this. 40 ****ing years and you have 2 statements to critisize him on that he probably didnt write. Maybe he should have said more during the 2012 primaries so he would actually get covered.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Like I said, it's irrelevant to me whether or not he is personally a racist. I'm commenting on the fact that he apparently hires and tolerates racists, and caters to them.

So-called race realism is a way to espouse toxic and ****ty racist views while depending on a thin veneer of decontextualized science to avoid the appearance of just being a plain ol' racist. You're right, it's quite common in those circles. That's why sooooo many prominent alt-right and white supremacist dickheads cut their teeth in the libertarian movement. This is not a value judgement against you or sturg or any individual, but there's a long and observable history of the libertarian movement attracting racists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Like I said, it's irrelevant to me whether or not he is personally a racist. I'm commenting on the fact that he apparently hires and tolerates racists, and caters to them.

So-called race realism is a way to espouse toxic and ****ty racist views while depending on a thin veneer of decontextualized science to avoid the appearance of just being a plain ol' racist. You're right, it's quite common in those circles. That's why sooooo many prominent alt-right and white supremacist dickheads cut their teeth in the libertarian movement. This is not a value judgement against you or sturg or any individual, but there's a long and observable history of the libertarian movement attracting racists.
    Are leftists who espouse how evil being white is, racist?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Also good to know "racist by association" is a thing now. I'm sure that applies across the board

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Also good to know "racist by association" is a thing now. I'm sure that applies across the board
    You're so flighty about the idea of being called a racist, when I've done no such thing. I'm just curious for your thoughts on why your chosen ideology seems to attract racists like flies, and how you--a big non-racist--feel about that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (07-03-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Are leftists who espouse how evil being white is, racist?
    Hmm. Being white is not really the issue, but nice try. I've not really encountered leftists who are down on people for "being" white, but more for awareness of what that's historically meant in our society and how we discuss that.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Sides can be 3 dimensional, 4 dimensional, 5 dimensional.

I chose side #3, Black Nationalist Party.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    I wont deny the Libertarian to alt-right pipeline is real but Ron Paul is the last person in the world who should have to defend himself from accusations of racisim. He has never shied away from having unpopular views. He publicly is against the civil rights act of 1964 so if he wont hide that he wouldnt hide racist views.

I dont know if you think he knows all the personal views of everyone around him but can you name one person he publicly endorsed for public office that you find troublesome. Ron wont even endorse most Republicans.

I dont know what you expect from Libertarians. You cant seriously think we should vote for democrats whose policy greatly harms blacks or republicans whose policy also devastates blacks because there are some racists in the Libertarian party? You are never going to find a group of 100k or more without a good chunk being racist. I think by rate there are less racist in the LP than the other two.

Also, the reason calling everyone racist pisses people off is because how do you prove you are not racist? At times it feels like its only an issue because you are white. Let me give you an example. I took over a store. The previous manager was getting moved because he wasnt getting the desired results. This guy is a super gay flamboyant black guy. Really nice guy thats still my friend 10 years later. Now I take over and my boss tells me to eliminate the prep position and have other employees do that work. We had 2 prep people both black. Half the store employees were black by default. So I try to work them into other positions but we are already overstaffed in the positions they want to work but hours were going down for everyone. One of the preppers comes ask me really nicely for more hours. I couldnt give it to him in the shorr term and I felt really bad about that. Next thing I know he is callinge racist behind my back. I was very upfront with him about why I was doing everything but because the previous manager was black and I was white everything he has been taught tells him that his hours going down was because I was racist.

Another example I asked the csrs to fill out availability forms so I knew when I could schedule them and specifically told them the more hours available the more hours they will get. So dont just put the hours you want to work. 1 csr put open availability the others all just copied the hours the previous manager was scheduling them. That first CSR got a lot more hours obviously. She was also the only white CSR. So 4 black girls see theur hours go down and the 1 white girls hours go up. Clearly only reason is because I am white and racist.

One more. This was at a different store. I had a female employee who was always 30 minutes late. Just scheduling her 30 minutes later didnt help her be on time so it wasnt an availability issue. I tell her the only reason I let her clock in is because we are busy and I need the help but one day it will be slow and I will send her home. When that day comes she tries whining to the other female employees saying I am sexist but I treated them like gold because they were great employees so they told her to STFU.

This is just a sample. Its kind of a self fulfilling prophecy because after enough times it could make a person hesitant to want to hire blacks or women. Based on my experience I only has these problems with employees I did not personally hire or people that knew me before I was promoted.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Sides can be 3 dimensional, 4 dimensional, 5 dimensional.

I chose side #3, Black Nationalist Party.
    at some point to the eye , many sides becomes a circle.

I rather see it as a process of elimination where you wind up with 2.
    Suppose last year the cubs (pick any final four team) after having a fine season decided to show up for the WS .
    Better example would be this years Houston Rockets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts