Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: 2018 DRAFT LIST AND SIGNINGS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I normally wouldn't question the narrative that the injury concern was serious, but AA's track record gives me pause. Makes me wonder if the Braves were trying to sign him on the cheap using the injury as an excuse and wrecked the negotiation. This is pure speculation with zero evidence, it just strikes me as odd that there's this mysterious, serious wrist with AA having failed to sign picks in the past.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (07-07-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Well, the odds say this is now a lost draft. Sure, there are other possibles who may come through. But if they were that well thought of they would have been drafted higher. This draft relies now pretty much on Jenista developing. I think most agree that Beck likely doesn't have the physical ability. The others are all longshots.

Things might still work out if the hit on next years pick at 9, but disappointing nonetheless and spinning it otherwise is like serving a turd desert with fruit topping - "But look at the cherry on top!"
    I may be in the minority but this is not a"lost" draft at all. There are several high level swings that the Braves took and I loved this draft. Jenista, Riley, Vodnik, Beck (disagree that he doesn't have ability), Lil Graffanino, Higginbotham, Kingham are all good picks to name a few.

I hated not signing Carter, but this draft has to play out just like the others. I'm ok with this draft.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

rico43 (07-07-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Well, the odds say this is now a lost draft. Sure, there are other possibles who may come through. But if they were that well thought of they would have been drafted higher. This draft relies now pretty much on Jenista developing. I think most agree that Beck likely doesn't have the physical ability. The others are all longshots.

Things might still work out if the hit on next years pick at 9, but disappointing nonetheless and spinning it otherwise is like serving a turd desert with fruit topping - "But look at the cherry on top!"
    Talent is talent. I personally see no difference in adding a top 10 draft talent this year compared to next. The only way this becomes an issue is if the Braves bust on the #9 pick next year and Stewart goes on to be a successful MLB pitcher. Now that certainly can happen but it's a wait and see situation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    What happens to a dream deferred?
    Does it dry up
    Like a raisin in the sun?
    Or fester like a sore--
    And then run?
    Does it stink like rotten meat?
    Or crust and sugar over--
    like a syrupy sweet?
    Maybe it just sags
    like a heavy load.
    Or does it explode?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    What happens to a dream deferred?
    Does it dry up
    Like a raisin in the sun?
    Or fester like a sore--
    And then run?
    Does it stink like rotten meat?
    Or crust and sugar over--
    like a syrupy sweet?
    Maybe it just sags
    like a heavy load.
    Or does it explode?
    LMBO. What the h3ll just happened?!

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    So the Braves lost $4.9 million off this year's bonus pool...but they don't have to write a $4.9 million check to anyone either.

Any chance this could go into the fund for upgrades at the trade deadline?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    So the Braves lost $4.9 million off this year's bonus pool...but they don't have to write a $4.9 million check to anyone either.

doubtful

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Talent is talent. I personally see no difference in adding a top 10 draft talent this year compared to next. The only way this becomes an issue is if the Braves bust on the #9 pick next year and Stewart goes on to be a successful MLB pitcher. Now that certainly can happen but it's a wait and see situation.
    IF they hit on the #9 pick next year then everything probably works out ok. BUT, the fact that they MUST sign #9 next year will affect their thinking going into the draft and will likely lead to at least some form of signability pick. OR they could get strung up by whoever they take at #9, causing a need to go signability at #22 or 25, wherever their normal pick falls. And the idea that you "just take a college player at #9" to backfill the miss from this year potentially further handcuffs your ability to draft BPA.

It's not a good look no matter how you slice it.

And, BTW, I wanted Gorman. But, if you go Stewart, you sign Stewart, unless the injury is so bad that he shouldn't have been picked to start with - I know, no physicals, blah, blah but they had scouts watching the kid pitch and no one said "you know, it looks like he's favoring his wrist when he throws".

How much money did the Braves throw at Hursch, Davidson, Sims, Gilmartin, Lipka, Devall, Johnson, etc. etc.

You don't get many chances to draft in the top 10 if you are a good team. When you do you better make the best of it and get talent with a possibility of being more than ML filler.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (07-07-2018), Perfect Cell (07-07-2018)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post

Likely looked at as 2 different budgets. They will probably just move the budgeted amount to next year. As you know, just because MLB hands out slot figures doesn't mean they hand out the money as well.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Likely looked at as 2 different budgets. They will probably just move the budgeted amount to next year. As you know, just because MLB hands out slot figures doesn't mean they hand out the money as well.
    But the have way more money next year...

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I normally wouldn't question the narrative that the injury concern was serious, but AA's track record gives me pause. Makes me wonder if the Braves were trying to sign him on the cheap using the injury as an excuse and wrecked the negotiation. This is pure speculation with zero evidence, it just strikes me as odd that there's this mysterious, serious wrist with AA having failed to sign picks in the past.
    I think it’s somewhere in the middle. I think they were a little worried, but I think they were also hoping he would take it and nab Hess also. If it was a calculated gamble...they lost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    If I (assuming it wasn't against MLB rules) offered you next year's number 9 pick in exchange for this year's number 8 pick, would you take it? Of course not!

Sure it might work out but then again swapping a first overall for a 5th rounder might work out too.

Ultimately, losing a year of development and a spot lower in the draft is a bad move. This was a bad thing.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (07-07-2018), Hudson2 (07-07-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    doubtful
    Probably right. If anything it will probably go towards getting the debt ratio back in balance to MLB standards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I was a big Stewart fan so I’m bitter about the whole thing. Like somebody else said, scouts didn’t see any problem with his wrist while he was throwing so it could be that terrible. AA played chicken and lost plain and simple. Horrible.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    If I (assuming it wasn't against MLB rules) offered you next year's number 9 pick in exchange for this year's number 8 pick, would you take it? Of course not!

Sure it might work out but then again swapping a first overall for a 5th rounder might work out too.

Ultimately, losing a year of development and a spot lower in the draft is a bad move. This was a bad thing.
    If the two picks were of equivalent talent I might agree. But that is discounting whatever is wrong Stewart that caused them to minimize their offer. So yeah I would certainly take a healthy #9 draft pick next year over an injured #8 draft pick this year.

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Lost draft? Not yet. Certainly hasn't started off well though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    If the two picks were of equivalent talent I might agree. But that is discounting whatever is wrong Stewart that caused them to minimize their offer. So yeah I would certainly take a healthy #9 draft pick next year over an injured #8 draft pick this year.
    Once we made the pick, it was a sunk cost and so not signing him, if the injury was legitimately troublesome, was the right choice. I'm not saying otherwise.

What I'm saying is going into this draft you'd never want to trade the 8th pick this year for the 9th next. So having that be the outcome is a pretty big failure. AA and co might have made the right choices based on the information at the times they were made but that doesn't make it not a failure.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Once we made the pick, it was a sunk cost and so not signing him, if the injury was legitimately troublesome, was the right choice. I'm not saying otherwise.

What I'm saying is going into this draft you'd never want to trade the 8th pick this year for the 9th next. So having that be the outcome is a pretty big failure. AA and co might have made the right choices based on the information at the times they were made but that doesn't make it not a failure.
    I disagree. If you make the correct choice each time but still get a bad result I don't consider that a failure. A failure to me is poor decisions.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

zedsdead (07-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I disagree. If you make the correct choice each time but still get a bad result I don't consider that a failure. A failure to me is poor decisions.
    Call it what you will. It was a bad outcome. To me, it turned this draft from excellent to awful. Might not be anyone's fault but it was bad all the same.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Call it what you will. It was a bad outcome. To me, it turned this draft from excellent to awful. Might not be anyone's fault but it was bad all the same.
    So will next year be a super good result with two 1st round picks?