Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand on the move... to Cleveland

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Awesome.

Now I have a good catcher in fantasy. Mejia will rake.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    We have seen 2 completely different approaches to trading away impact players by the Os and Padres in a span of about 24 hours.

The Os went for quantity over quality, and got 5 players who are likely to contribute in some way at the MLB level.

The Padres packaged 2 MLB BP arms, one being an impact high leverage arm, for one great prospect.

I would much rather be the Padres and Dodgers right now rather than the Indians or Os, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-19-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    We have seen 2 completely different approaches to trading away impact players by the Os and Padres in a span of about 24 hours.

The Os went for quantity over quality, and got 5 players who are likely to contribute in some way at the MLB level.

The Padres packaged 2 MLB BP arms, one being an impact high leverage arm, for one great prospect.

I would much rather be the Padres and Dodgers right now rather than the Indians or Os, that's for sure.
    Shouldn't be much of a surprise there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Doesn't matter, his value is what it is. If Mejia was available, they could have gotten quite a bit more.
    what do you mean "his value is what it is." MLB pipeline has him at #15 mainly because they classify him as a catcher. if he's an OF, he's probably not ranked 15.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    what do you mean "his value is what it is." MLB pipeline has him at #15 mainly because they classify him as a catcher. if he's an OF, he's probably not ranked 15.
    My point is that there are obviously people in and around baseball who still consider him a C. Thus his value is extremely high.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Doesn't matter, his value is what it is. If Mejia was available, they could have gotten quite a bit more.
    I agree. Even if you don’t think Mejia can catch, if other teams think he can and he’s a top 20 prospect, you need to get more for him.

It reminds me of selling low on Peraza, honestly.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

agree....

But I think it matters where you are as a farm to these clubs. The Os have nothing. They have Davis' terrible deal. They need to get something on the farm and spread some risk. They need cheap young guys.

The Pads already have a loaded system. They are like the braves. We/they do not need more depth. We/they need impact guys.

But I would agree in general to the 4 quarters do not equal a dollar idea with trades.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    I agree. Even if you don’t think Mejia can catch, if other teams think he can and he’s a top 20 prospect, you need to get more for him.

Yeah. But peraza was terrible and we got a good hitter.
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    So what do you guys think this means for the BP market? I know Hand is a different story bc of his control, but do you think this lowers or raises the prices attached to BP arms right now? I don't think it matters a ton for us, because all of the guys we should be targeting are really cheap anyway. I do think the Reds are licking their lips with Iglesias though. Given that he is controllable and arguably better than Hand.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Cleveland doesn't think Francisco Mejia is a catcher. If he wasn't a catcher, he wouldn't have been a highly ranked prospect.

Seems San Diego views him as a catcher however. It'll be interesting to see who's right.

Edit: I think what San Diego wanted here was a young position player that was ML ready as I remember they said they'd ask for Devers from Boston.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post

Why do people think they could get more for him? They needed relief pitchers. They got the best one on the market as well as another controllable reliever. The argument could be made you don't make a trade just for the sake of making a trade, but there really isn't anything out there better relief wise than what they got.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Why do people think they could get more for him? They needed relief pitchers. They got the best one on the market as well as another controllable reliever. The argument could be made you don't make a trade just for the sake of making a trade, but there really isn't anything out there better relief wise than what they got.
    I agree they got the two best relievers available, I just think relievers are a bit volatile. If Alex Jackson was hitting well enough to be a top 20 prospect, I wouldn’t want to trade him for Hand, I would want to trade him for Machado or something if I didn’t believe in him sticking as a catcher.

Obvious caveats of not knowing how many teams think Mejia can catch and value him highly, what other teams will accept, etc.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Its pretty close, but I wonder if they could have gotten Raisel Iglesias and Amir Garrett for Mejia? I think I would prefer to have those two over Hand and Cimber.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Its pretty close, but I wonder if they could have gotten Raisel Iglesias and Amir Garrett for Mejia? I think I would prefer to have those two over Hand and Cimber.
    Maybe. But I think Hand is the most steady of all 4 of them. And the Indians probably wanted a steady Hand in the bullpen.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (07-19-2018)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    That's probably comparable. I think Hand and Cimber and the better pair though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    what do you think
    Those guys might have been a little too good for the Braves needs. Braves need some guys who are only used situationally and don’t have particularly good track records.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    The Indians probably reduced their weakness a lot more than the Dodgers did, and with reasonably priced controllable assets.

If the cost was a hitting catcher they don’t think can catch that’s very little.

Dodgers added another bat but probably made their SS defense worse, if that’s where he is playing.

The headliner they gave up was well liked by some and should be a blow to org depth.

Around here there would be pitchforks at giving up so many dreams.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Aloha, Mr. Hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Maybe. But I think Hand is the most steady of all 4 of them. And the Indians probably wanted a steady Hand in the bullpen.
    otoh sometimes a trembling hand will baffle the hitters
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Disappointing. We could really use a steady Hand in our bullpen.