Page 17 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wall

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    POE still means the border and a wall allows more focus on those points of entry i would absolutely argue it helps solve the problem.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    POE still means the border and a wall allows more focus on those points of entry i would absolutely argue it helps solve the problem.
    It also means any airport with international travel. Come on. How could you argue that? If the majority of drugs are already coming in through lawful points of entry, how does allocating more resources to the hinterlands help that? I guess if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

If your rationale is stopping hard drugs from entering the country, building a wall is a waste of resources.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    It also means any airport with international travel. Come on. How could you argue that? If the majority of drugs are already coming in through lawful points of entry, how does allocating more resources to the hinterlands help that? I guess if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

If your rationale is stopping hard drugs from entering the country, building a wall is a waste of resources.
    The wall is an upfront expense. The real waste is having border patrol trying to monitor an expanse that could be solved with a physical barrier.

The wall will save money long term and its not even close.

I will link some articles today but i believe tge 2015 DEA report said that most fentanly comes from mexico now and that asia trade has waned considerably.

The wall hands down allows us to better allocate future resources to stopping drig inflow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Want to also show how much drugs are coming via airports? Sounds like a really stupid way to smuggle drigs considering the massive security infrastructure already in place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Lots. I mean, really a bunch, often with the assistance of security personnel or airport employees.

“According to DEA reporting, the majority of the heroin available in New Jersey originates in Colombia and is primarily smuggled into the United States by Colombian and Dominican groups via human couriers on commercial flights to the Newark International Airport,”

There’s way more enforcement at legal ground points of entry, too, but it’s nevertheless the most common route for smuggling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    There was a smuggling ring that was broken up in 2017 utilizing TSA employees that moved 20 tons of cocaine through airports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Lots. I mean, really a bunch, often with the assistance of security personnel or airport employees.

“According to DEA reporting, the majority of the heroin available in New Jersey originates in Colombia and is primarily smuggled into the United States by Colombian and Dominican groups via human couriers on commercial flights to the Newark International Airport,”

There’s way more enforcement at legal ground points of entry, too, but it’s nevertheless the most common route for smuggling.
    Id love to ubderstand how this extrapolates to total drug inflow into the country. The article you are referencing does not speak to that at all. It was just one example, and probabaly extracted based on the bias of the reporter, of how one state is inpacted by the drug trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    There was a smuggling ring that was broken up in 2017 utilizing TSA employees that moved 20 tons of cocaine through airports.
    Great, this does not somehow diminish the need for a wall unless you think no drigs are smuggled in at the border. An upront cost which allows more effective budget allocation in the future is a no brainer.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    It isn't our responsibility to fix the world. Just like it isn't in the middle easy its the same way in Mexico and South America. It is not our fault their governments are corrupt.

My hope is that we have more populists leaders like Obrador and Bolsonaro that are actually going to put their people first that will strengthen this region. But as it stands right now the region south of the US is too unstable to have an unchecked border. THe wall will work just like its worked for thousands of years across human history. The left is nervous because it will work.
    We can handle more than one issue at a time. The main issue in our country is the rise of narcotics and crime. The majority of this is coming through the southern border. The Wall will be a tremendous step to stop this.
    hahaha

wow
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    The wall was nothing more than a gimmick from day one. It really is sad how easily people fall for anything that falls out of the criminal's mouth.

But the commander in chief didn’t always think it was such an essential idea. In fact, it started out as a gimmick, or, as the New York Times calls it, “a mnemonic device of sorts.” During the time when Trump was weighing his presidential candidacy, aides wanted to come up with a way to help him remember to talk about getting tough on immigration, which was always seen as a key issue in his campaign.

Political advisers Sam Nunberg and Roger Stone apparently came up with the idea. “How do we get him to continue to talk about immigration?” Nunberg claims he told Stone. “We’re going to get him to talk about he’s going to build a wall.” The plan worked like a charm. Trump talked about immigration in his speeches, and the wall narrative got huge reactions from the crowd, which obviously thrilled Trump. So he kept pushing the idea harder and harder.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

57Brave (01-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    no it says Donald Trump lied to you saying there were 4000.

sheeesh
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Rantt Media
    ‏ @RanttMedia
    13m13 minutes ago

Only 6 people on the terror watch list caught at the southern border in the 1st half of 2018

The 4,000 Trump's admin cited were caught mostly at airports

The real national security crisis is that TSA agents aren't getting paid because of Trump's shutdown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    On Monday, former President Jimmy Carter joined the three other living former presidents in confirming that Trump lied about the claim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    no it says Donald Trump lied to you saying there were 4000.

sheeesh
    Anything larger than 0 justifies the wall
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Anything larger than 0 justifies the wall
    Being seen as an idiot by 60% of the country justifies proposing it to Agent Orange. He's backed into a corner and desperately needs to keep his support base as "the walls" of justice close in upon him.

You might be the last one to realize this, but even Trump knows "the wall" is a gimmick to do nothing more than keep his base and will do NOTHING to address the drug problem, illegal immigration or terrorism. It's just a BS talking point.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    I rather like this answer on Quora from a Mexican's (Raul Aguirre) perspective, many points you guys are already talking about of course, but this seems like a good explanation from 'down under' on the folly of the wall:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-people...tes-and-Mexico

"Hello, I'm Mexican living in Mexico new to Quora, my English is not the best but I saw this question online and I'm going to try and give my point of view from this side, I think the US has all the right to secure it's borders and respond to its citizens concerns but building a wall it's useless and a major waste of money and resources,why? Because the majority of illegal Mexicans in the United States go there on a tourist visa and overstay the limit time, a wall would not stop that and if the concern is the smuggling of drugs you have no idea how smart and creative the cartels are the methods they use goes beyond what a wall can do, we are talking about tunnels, drones, direct smuggling through the checkpoints, complicity with US authorities, the sea, etc

Also the net immigration from Mexicans to the USA has been zero from some years now, what some Americans fail to realize is that Mexico is a HUGE country, we are about 130 million people, of wich the majority of us in spite of our corrupt government and the violence in some states are living very happy here and don't intend of going anywhere, If your government REALLY wanted to do something about this issue they should use that money to

-work with Mexico in the way smaller southern border with Guatemala, central america is where they should focus on

-make better immigration laws, cheap labor is something your country will always need, it's a big part of your success, just try to have it in an organized way

-increase security and vigilance in strategic points in the already existing border

-invest in the HUGE problem of your society's addiction to drugs, make programs to help your people and stop the demand of drugs and also stop the flow of illegal weapons that are being sent to Mexico that go to the cartels

This will not only help your country but it will help us a lot as well, Mexico is not your enemy is your ally, we have historic, social and economic ties and is not like we're going anywhere, we should encourage our governments to work together and really put attention to priorities

I don't want to offend anyone but if you really think a wall will change something you're truly oblivious and ignorant to reality and the world around you, your president knows this and is taking advantage for his own interests he's not as dumb as he appears to be, don't fall for it."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

57Brave (01-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I love when people talk about net immigration numbers like we actually know.

For year we always were told there were only 11 million illegals in the country. Now all of a sudden its agreed the number is closer to 30 million. Lets stop pretending we understand what is happening at the border.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    I rather like this answer on Quora from a Mexican's (Raul Aguirre) perspective, many points you guys are already talking about of course, but this seems like a good explanation from 'down under' on the folly of the wall:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-people...tes-and-Mexico

"Hello, I'm Mexican living in Mexico new to Quora, my English is not the best but I saw this question online and I'm going to try and give my point of view from this side, I think the US has all the right to secure it's borders and respond to its citizens concerns but building a wall it's useless and a major waste of money and resources,why? Because the majority of illegal Mexicans in the United States go there on a tourist visa and overstay the limit time, a wall would not stop that and if the concern is the smuggling of drugs you have no idea how smart and creative the cartels are the methods they use goes beyond what a wall can do, we are talking about tunnels, drones, direct smuggling through the checkpoints, complicity with US authorities, the sea, etc

Also the net immigration from Mexicans to the USA has been zero from some years now, what some Americans fail to realize is that Mexico is a HUGE country, we are about 130 million people, of wich the majority of us in spite of our corrupt government and the violence in some states are living very happy here and don't intend of going anywhere, If your government REALLY wanted to do something about this issue they should use that money to

-work with Mexico in the way smaller southern border with Guatemala, central america is where they should focus on

-make better immigration laws, cheap labor is something your country will always need, it's a big part of your success, just try to have it in an organized way

-increase security and vigilance in strategic points in the already existing border

-invest in the HUGE problem of your society's addiction to drugs, make programs to help your people and stop the demand of drugs and also stop the flow of illegal weapons that are being sent to Mexico that go to the cartels

This will not only help your country but it will help us a lot as well, Mexico is not your enemy is your ally, we have historic, social and economic ties and is not like we're going anywhere, we should encourage our governments to work together and really put attention to priorities

I don't want to offend anyone but if you really think a wall will change something you're truly oblivious and ignorant to reality and the world around you, your president knows this and is taking advantage for his own interests he's not as dumb as he appears to be, don't fall for it."
    The "Wall" is not a policy issue. It is a symbol. The policy issue is border security or more broadly immigration. About that reasonable people can disagree and still come up with a good compromise that improves upon the status quo.

To call the "Wall" a symbol is not to say it is not important. Symbols have a way of becoming sacred to some people.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    the notion that a wall will stop or even slow down the cartels from importing drugs is ridiculous. Like replacing water with Brawndo kind of ridiculous. Theres a better chance Trump stabs Melania with a sword in an attempt to forge lightbringer than there is a wall stopping or slowing down drug trafficking.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.