Thread: Russia is a kleptocracy governed by the espionage apparatus.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

Russia is a kleptocracy governed by the espionage apparatus.

[MENTION=266]Hawk[/MENTION] disagrees. Let's talk about it.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    As a small technicality, I read your comment as RT being run by an espionage apparatus.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Book by retired prof from Miami (O). I have a friend who teaches in the International Studies program there. He thinks it's a solid piece of work: https://www.amazon.com/Putins-Klepto...7s+kleptocracy

Review of the book by Anne Applebaum: https://www.nybooks.com/articles/201...-stole-russia/

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    OK you guys are smarter than me, or at least more in tune with what's going on in the world today. I'm usually too busy trying to get my college students to stop eating paste and freakin' take notes to spend too much time actually staying in touch with the current events of the world and their nuances but maybe you guys can fill be in on why:

1.) EVERYTHING has to be about the Ds literally signing off on anything to win over the Rs and the Rs literally signing off on anything to win over the Ds.
    2.) Rs talk about how terrible the liberal media is and they do have a point, but why can they then see how effing pathetic Fox, talk radio, and the far right websites are?
    3.) Ds talk about how terrible the conservative media is (yes they are the part of the media too) but not realize how terrible MSNBC, etc. is/are?
    4.) Why would both sides seemignly rather us lose our freedom to some outside power rather than that other party win an election?
    5.) In what freakin' universe does us having a close relationship with Russia while that bleeping former KGB officer is in charge make any sense? I"m not talking about being close to war with them ala the Cold War, I"m talking about the bromance that is currently going on between Putin and Agent Orange (sorry I know I need cite AA here, I"m just not sure how to do so in this particular scene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    My question is what business is it of ours? Anyone want to claim democracy is so great right now?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    OK you guys are smarter than me, or at least more in tune with what's going on in the world today. I'm usually too busy trying to get my college students to stop eating paste and freakin' take notes to spend too much time actually staying in touch with the current events of the world and their nuances but maybe you guys can fill be in on why:

1.) EVERYTHING has to be about the Ds literally signing off on anything to win over the Rs and the Rs literally signing off on anything to win over the Ds.
    2.) Rs talk about how terrible the liberal media is and they do have a point, but why can they then see how effing pathetic Fox, talk radio, and the far right websites are?
    3.) Ds talk about how terrible the conservative media is (yes they are the part of the media too) but not realize how terrible MSNBC, etc. is/are?
    4.) Why would both sides seemignly rather us lose our freedom to some outside power rather than that other party win an election?
    5.) In what freakin' universe does us having a close relationship with Russia while that bleeping former KGB officer is in charge make any sense? I"m not talking about being close to war with them ala the Cold War, I"m talking about the bromance that is currently going on between Putin and Agent Orange (sorry I know I need cite AA here, I"m just not sure how to do so in this particular scene.
    I have no idea. Spent my life in this trade and the paradigm has really shifted. I just keep recommending Bill Bishop's The Big Sort.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    As a small technicality, I read your comment as RT being run by an espionage apparatus.
    Well, dammit, I made an entire juvenile callout thread for nothing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

weso1 (02-07-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    My question is what business is it of ours? Anyone want to claim democracy is so great right now?
    Right now???