Thread: Christian Bethancourt Called Up

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts

Christian Bethancourt Called Up

Tom Hart ‏@tom_hart 58m
    Braves will call up Catcher Christian Bethancourt today. 21 year-old hit .277/12/45 at Double A Mississippi this year.
    Congrats kid!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    NICE!!!!

Can't wait to see what this kid can do. I've seen enough of Laird.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    I'm pleased with his improvement offensively. Maybe there is hope for the guy after all!

Either way, talk about catcher overload! Brian McCann, Gerald Laird, Evan Gattis, Christian Bethancourt all on the same team. I'm sure there's an emergency-emergency-emergency-emergency catcher on the roster, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Why aren't we hearing the same of LaStella? I can't stand to watch Dan Uggla for one more day.
    Natural Immunity Croc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    I agree. I want to see LaStella up and given a chance at second.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-09-2013)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    So why have 4 catchers? Will Laird get released? I second the opinion on LaStella

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Why is LA Stella not getting a chance? Strange stuff. Gosselin, Cunningham? But no Lastella? Strange.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Why aren't we hearing the same of LaStella? I can't stand to watch Dan Uggla for one more day.
    Bethancourt was on the 40 man Tommy isn't. If the Braves want to add Tommy they have to cut someone off the 40 man or put Pastor or Reed on the 60 day. Not sure how bad either of their injuries actually are and if the Braves would consider them lost causes for the season.

Personally I'd cut Loe and bring up Tommy but I doubt that Wren does that. As far as guys to remove from the 40 man, only guys who aren't in the bigs still on the 40 man are Northcraft, Gearrin, Jaime, Mejia, Gosselin, and Cunningham. Gosselin and Cunningham seem to have long term bench potential so I doubt they go anywhere. Northcraft shouldn't go anywhere, Gearrin maybe should be cut but I still think he can be a good ROOGY, Jaime I really know nothing about and Mejia should probably be cut.

there's moves to make to bring Tommy into the fold but it's not as simple as bringing Bethancourt.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-09-2013), jpx7 (09-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,918 Posts
    Pastornicky has a busted up knee. Won't see any pt for us rest of the season. No reason to NOT move him to 60 day. Reed is taking a rehab break because it isn't getting better.

Loe needs to be gone. No reason we won't see La Stella.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Im ready to see this kid catch. He could be our future. What a bright future we have in Bethancourt and Gattis behind the plate.

This is why I have a hard time seeing us give Mac a ton of money like he will want. Do we give it to him or do we go with Bet/Gattis/Laird next year and spend the money on extending others such as Heyward, Freeman, or Kimbrel...

Going to be fun either way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    Im ready to see this kid catch. He could be our future. What a bright future we have in Bethancourt and Gattis behind the plate.

This is why I have a hard time seeing us give Mac a ton of money like he will want. Do we give it to him or do we go with Bet/Gattis/Laird next year and spend the money on extending others such as Heyward, Freeman, or Kimbrel...

Going to be fun either way.
    Ideally it would be great to have Mac back but it does seem to be an inefficient use of limited resources. Just wish Liberty would spend some of this supposed "profit" that the club is making.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackwaterPark View Post
    So why have 4 catchers? Will Laird get released? I second the opinion on LaStella
    No I think this means, you will see a lot of Evan Gattis in LF from here on out and not a lot behind the plate and probably brought up Bethancourt for that reason so they don't have to use Gattis behind the plate much the rest of the way.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Bethancourt was on the 40 man Tommy isn't. If the Braves want to add Tommy they have to cut someone off the 40 man or put Pastor or Reed on the 60 day. Not sure how bad either of their injuries actually are and if the Braves would consider them lost causes for the season.

Personally I'd cut Loe and bring up Tommy but I doubt that Wren does that. As far as guys to remove from the 40 man, only guys who aren't in the bigs still on the 40 man are Northcraft, Gearrin, Jaime, Mejia, Gosselin, and Cunningham. Gosselin and Cunningham seem to have long term bench potential so I doubt they go anywhere. Northcraft shouldn't go anywhere, Gearrin maybe should be cut but I still think he can be a good ROOGY, Jaime I really know nothing about and Mejia should probably be cut.

there's moves to make to bring Tommy into the fold but it's not as simple as bringing Bethancourt.
    LaStella doesn't have to go on the 40-man until after next season and whether or not that is sound logic given the situation with Uggla, there is reasoning behind it. The 60-day DL guys who aren't free agents have to be put back on the 40-man roster at the end of the season and the Braves will have to keep some slots open for guys who need to go on the 40-man roster or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft. Add to that slots the team might need for free agent signings and it may preclude adding LaStella right now. That said, I would have no trouble putting just about anyone out there in the place of Uggla.

As for the original thrust of the post, nice to see Bethancourt up for some mop-up action.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    No I think this means, you will see a lot of Evan Gattis in LF from here on out and not a lot behind the plate and probably brought up Bethancourt for that reason so they don't have to use Gattis behind the plate much the rest of the way.
    I am hoping this means Gattis will be our starting leftfielder in the playoffs (hopefully with Heyward and Justin Upton in center and right). This should be the plan anyway, but Fredi stopped it once BJ Upton returned. I had my doubts that he'd go back to it. Maybe now he realizes he needs to go back to it. Of course it also depends on Heyward returning, etc.

Also, I agree with giving La Stella a shot and removing Loe. Uggla isn't getting it done. If not La Stella shoot I'll take EJ at this point, at least EJ can help on defense.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 09-09-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackwaterPark View Post
    Laird is under contract next year, so he won't be cut. Beth's call up is pretty surprising; I wonder what they are trying to accomplish with this, maybe an early look at next year and how to replace Mac.

Has nothing to do with LaStella, there's room for both. He (LaStella) is going to the AFL, but that shouldn't preclude a call up. Guess they are still hanging on the the "Uggla will get hot" fantasy.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It frees Gattis up to play OF and allows the Braves to get a look at CB against top competition on both sides of the ball. I guess we could be showcasing Gattis or getting ready to wave goodbye to Mac . . . or neither of the above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    It frees Gattis up to play OF and allows the Braves to get a look at CB against top competition on both sides of the ball. I guess we could be showcasing Gattis or getting ready to wave goodbye to Mac . . . or neither of the above.
    Yep, this is a sign that Mac is gone after this season. I'm thinking Braves go with Gattis/Bet/Laird next season.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Im thinking along the lines of Gattis and a LH catcher platoon with a 3rd catcher like Bethancourt if he is ready. Gattis would be 4th OFer when needed. I look at Gattis age and where he will be after the early arb years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Yep, this is a sign that Mac is gone after this season. I'm thinking Braves go with Gattis/Bet/Laird next season.
    Im not sure and too lazy to look but isnt Bethancourt a RH hitter? If so think it is more likely Laird is traded in off season.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Pumped to see Bethancourt. I guess all the people that told me that he would never play in the majors can eat some crow.