Page 8 of 100 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades/acquisitions

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    If possible, I'd rather get a top prospect for Freeman than someone who is turning 28 this month, but I do remember only getting Casey Kotchman for Tex. I don't know if that's possible since most of baseball is analytical-savvy at this point. If you get an Abrams, then you can send Dansby somewhere else. That leaves enough money for Freeman (or another guy who can play 1B), an OF, catcher, and pitching help.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I guess the 28 year old you mention is Jared Walsh. If so and a quick look at his numbers show a very high ops+ and 4 years of control left. Of course no one knows yet what the next CBA will mandate about the control issue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

WaitingFor2017 (07-13-2021)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    If possible, I'd rather get a top prospect for Freeman than someone who is turning 28 this month, but I do remember only getting Casey Kotchman for Tex. I don't know if that's possible since most of baseball is analytical-savvy at this point. If you get an Abrams, then you can send Dansby somewhere else. That leaves enough money for Freeman (or another guy who can play 1B), an OF, catcher, and pitching help.
    I love Bobby Cox, but his insistence on having a veteran 1B come back in the Teixeira deal was moronic. Having a first baseman that can make all the routine plays is important and underrated (especially to those of us who watched David Justice try to play 1B before Murphy was dealt), but with the Braves going nowhere, I thought they could have punted the position for the remainder of the season when they moved Teixeira.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

thethe (07-13-2021)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    It's admittedly hard for ANYONE to put anything past him, no doubt. I just think paying the type of prospect capital that would likely be required to convince AA to take Hosmer's money back
    In no way did I mean to suggest Hosmer would be part of the return for Freeman. I meant a straight up Freeman for prospect trade with SD....and they can do whatever they want with the garbage Hosmer deal.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Freeman and Contreras for Hosmer, Gore, and Abrams. It's balanced value on baseballtradevalues.com and the total payouts across the 3 relative to their expected production is very nice through the next few years of the contention window. And that window showed cracks this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Abrams had a season ending injury. Can he be traded while hurt?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Broken leg and strain. Should be no long term problems. Not on 40 man so should be no prob with a trade. Nice to know but highly unlikely Braves looking hard at help so far down the road.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Broken leg and strain. Should be no long term problems. Not on 40 man so should be no prob with a trade. Nice to know but highly unlikely Braves looking hard at help so far down the road.
    Abrams is legit and should be ready for the show the year after Swanson is gone. A perfect target for the Braves. He is somebody that Preller is absolutely going to cash in on at some point with Tatis being there. With that being said there is no way that a half season of Freeman would fetch him, imo.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    In no way did I mean to suggest Hosmer would be part of the return for Freeman. I meant a straight up Freeman for prospect trade with SD....and they can do whatever they want with the garbage Hosmer deal.
    Yeah - didn't mean to infer that you did. My point was that it's probably going to require attaching someone like Abrams to him to get someone to take that contract. I wouldn't "want" him at all, but my point is that his salary becomes much easier to swallow after next season - if you were saving $5 million between what you assume you'll have to pay Freddie in 2022 ($25+ million) and saved $10+ million by replacing Dansby with Abrams you could take that $15 million and combine it with what Ozuna would have made and sign Bryant.

That would make 1B the position you were simply trying to "live with", but if the return was Abrams...

An Abrams/Acuna/Ozzie/Bryant/Riley grouping (in some order) would certainly keep you relevant. If you got 90+ wRC production out of the young Catchers and Waters that would be a pretty scary lineup and it would still leave you a chunk of the Morton/Smyly/d'Arnaud/Martin money to bring in a veteran SP type and some pen help WITHOUT raising payroll.

If Liberty bumps the payroll $10 million or so (where it was headed prior to the shutdown) after they recover some of the revenue lost, that would cover most of what Hosmer would make in 2023-2025. Definitely not "optimum" by any means, but you're talking about wasting around $3 million per on Hosmer (who's more likely to help every once in a while) for those seasons. Removing Ender from the payroll covers most of that.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Speaking of trades. For weeks there was loud noise about going for Frazier, Rodriquez and now Reynolds. Quieted down on Braves forums but what would be your offer(s) for these guys?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Speaking of trades. For weeks there was loud noise about going for Frazier, Rodriquez and now Reynolds. Quieted down on Braves forums but what would be your offer(s) for these guys?
    I personally wouldn't try to pick up any of those types now that Acuna's done for the year. Dealing for upgrades around the edges might have helped you chase down the Mutts in the division with a little luck, but they weren't going to get you anywhere in the playoffs - EVEN WITH Ronald. Even if you added them you're probably still a 3rd or 4th place team without him - especially with Anderson's shoulder barking. I'd use the second half to start trying to assess Waters at the MLB level and get Pache back up here.

Would it *iss some fans off if AA "throws in the towel" this early? Probably, and it might even hurt attendance a little. It would really help give him a head start on this winter and 2022 though - and you could make the argument that attendance is going to go down without Ronald anyway, and if Anderson misses much time that isn't going to help it either.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    I personally wouldn't try to pick up any of those types now that Acuna's done for the year. Dealing for upgrades around the edges might have helped you chase down the Mutts in the division with a little luck, but they weren't going to get you anywhere in the playoffs - EVEN WITH Ronald. Even if you added them you're probably still a 3rd or 4th place team without him - especially with Anderson's shoulder barking. I'd use the second half to start trying to assess Waters at the MLB level and get Pache back up here.

Would it *iss some fans off if AA "throws in the towel" this early? Probably, and it might even hurt attendance a little. It would really help give him a head start on this winter and 2022 though - and you could make the argument that attendance is going to go down without Ronald anyway, and if Anderson misses much time that isn't going to help it either.
    I don't think there's a chance the pirates trade Reynolds, but Reynolds (3.0 fWAR), Frazier (2.9 fWAR), and Rodriguez (1.8 fWAR) would make this a good team quick esp considering they'd fill the 3 spots we really need

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't think there's a chance the pirates trade Reynolds, but Reynolds (3.0 fWAR), Frazier (2.9 fWAR), and Rodriguez (1.8 fWAR) would make this a good team quick esp considering they'd fill the 3 spots we really need
    You realize what they would cost, right? There are a lot of actual contenders (who are in A LOT BETTER SHAPE than the Braves) that can use those guys too.

Getting into a bidding war for those three guys when the last two spots in your rotation are being held down by Muller and one of Touki/Wilson/Wright next week (and potentially the entire second half) would be nuts. You're talking about trading for three guys having career-years who literally may not be as good as Waters, Pache, and Ynoa (if he's in the pen in a few weeks) when the BEST you could hope for is getting eliminated in the wildcard series.

No thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    You realize what they would cost, right? There are a lot of actual contenders (who are in A LOT BETTER SHAPE than the Braves) that can use those guys too.

Getting into a bidding war for those three guys when the last two spots in your rotation are being held down by Muller and one of Touki/Wilson/Wright next week (and potentially the entire second half) would be nuts. You're talking about trading for three guys having career-years who literally may not be as good as Waters, Pache, and Ynoa (if he's in the pen in a few weeks) when the BEST you could hope for is getting eliminated in the wildcard series.

No thanks.
    I don't think we should, and like I said, I don't think the pirates would even trade Reynolds. I'm just saying I disagree with the "3rd or 4th place team" if we did add them.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Pittsburgh has to ask themselves are Frazier and Reynolds veteran pieces of a club who might be decent in 2-3 years. That is a tough situation to be in. My guess is they hang onto one or both unless completely blown away with an offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Frazier one more year of control. Reynolds 4 more years. Rodriguez 1 more but then why hold on to him if you can get something of real value. No need to hoard a closer unless you have some games to close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Frazier one more year of control. Reynolds 4 more years. Rodriguez 1 more but then why hold on to him if you can get something of real value. No need to hoard a closer unless you have some games to close.
    Depends if he is eligible for a QO or not... the Pirates could evaluate all possible deals and think the draft pick is more valuable. Reynolds would wipe out our system almost all by himself. He won't be traded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I was wrong (frequently) Rodriguez is 31 years old and has 2 more arb years. I still think there is no reason for Pirates to hold on to him but then too, Braves in there current situation dont need him nor do they have the assets to spend on another closer type considering all the other needs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Pitt absolutely SHOULD trade Reynolds now for a package multiple top 100 prospects, with at least one of those being a top 25 prospect. The problem with that is, most of the the teams with best farms are not competitive this year. Tampa, San Deigo, and Toronto are the only clubs in the top 10 farm systems who are competitive.

Among those, Tampa is the only team with an obvious need for Reynolds. Would Pitt deal with them again after they got burned so bad on the Archer trade? If they were ran better, the obvious answer is that you don't let past transactions influence your current situation, and you take the best package available to you. But being that they are poorly run organization, I'm going to guess that they will avoid big trades with Tampa for the near future. Maybe Cleveland would also be a fit. They have some interesting prospects and big need for offensive fire power.

Either way, if they played it right, Pitt could set themselves up for a nice little window in 3-4 years if they sold high on guys now. Could easily have the top farm in baseball by trading Reynolds, Frazier, Moran, and Rodriguez this year. Honestly, the only guys they shouldn't consider moving are Hayes and Brubaker.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

WaitingFor2017 (07-14-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Pitt absolutely SHOULD trade Reynolds now for a package multiple top 100 prospects, with at least one of those being a top 25 prospect. The problem with that is, most of the the teams with best farms are not competitive this year. Tampa, San Deigo, and Toronto are the only clubs in the top 10 farm systems who are competitive.

Among those, Tampa is the only team with an obvious need for Reynolds. Would Pitt deal with them again after they got burned so bad on the Archer trade? If they were ran better, the obvious answer is that you don't let past transactions influence your current situation, and you take the best package available to you. But being that they are poorly run organization, I'm going to guess that they will avoid big trades with Tampa for the near future. Maybe Cleveland would also be a fit. They have some interesting prospects and big need for offensive fire power.

Either way, if they played it right, Pitt could set themselves up for a nice little window in 3-4 years if they sold high on guys now. Could easily have the top farm in baseball by trading Reynolds, Frazier, Moran, and Rodriguez this year. Honestly, the only guys they shouldn't consider moving are Hayes and Brubaker.
    Completely different FO that traded for Archer so I don't know how much that impacts current decisions.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-14-2021)