Page 337 of 579 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347387437 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,740 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Gray in that ballpark will be just as bad or worse as he was last year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    If AA gets a platoon for the outfield or Markakis is back, this offseason is a huge fail. Braves had some money to play with, have arguably the best farm system in baseball, theres no excuse to settle for a platoon.
    I don’t think that’s fair. The Dodgers have used several platoons very successfully the last few seasons.

Of course, it has to be a good platoon, not Parra/Duvall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Passan: The Sonny Gray deal may turn out to be a three-way trade, league sources tell ESPN. Seattle is sending center field prospect Josh Stowers to the Yankees, sources said, and Shed Long is expected to go to the Mariners.
    This trade is getting weird. Stowers does not seem to be enough for Shed Long on the surface. Maybe the industry is not really valuing Long as a FV 50 asset.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    No doubt a subset of the posters around here think the Reds have had a marvelous offseason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    This trade is getting weird. Stowers does not seem to be enough for Shed Long on the surface. Maybe the industry is not really valuing Long as a FV 50 asset.
    There’s also that small issue of the draft pick in the 30s the Reds sent over.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Gray, Roark, Wood, Castillo, 5th guy isnt putrid, it's average, but weird to going all in with the Central being a beast.
    Not so "all-in" when you think about it. If they can work out an extension with Wood, that'd give them a front 3 of Gray, Wood, and Castillo in 2020 - not earth-shaking, but not bad. If Tony Santillian is ready next year as well, they let Roark walk (saving another $9.5 million or so) giving them DeSclafani and Santillian as their #4 and #5. Senzel spends this season as their super-sub and replaces Gennett at 2B at the deadline or next season, saving them ~ $9 million. Trammell could be ready to step into CF for them next season as well, and when they let Kemp walk that saves them another $13 million or so. Use the money to extend Puig, and that'd leave them...

Trammell, Senzel, Votto, Suarez, Winker, Puig, Peraza, and Barnhart

Plus they could then consider trading India for another rotation upgrade. Not scaring everyone to death obviously, but a *ell of a lot better than they've been in a while.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Extension is 3/30 with an option for 12 million, pretty reasonable.
    pretty close to market value imo...doesn't change expected surplus value much...but the Reds are likely to need to acquire some starting pitching after this year so I wouldn't call it stupid...it is a holding serve sort of move
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Gray in that ballpark will be just as bad or worse as he was last year.
    Gray is actually a groundball pitcher. He's been a bit unlucky with the HR/FB rate in recent years.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    pretty close to market value imo...doesn't change expected surplus value much...but the Reds are likely to need to acquire some starting pitching after this year so I wouldn't call it stupid...it is a holding serve sort of move
    This will forever be Exhibit A when folks claim they want an extension window in a trade.

Signing Gray to a market rate extension adds zero value, and making the trade contingent on such an extension is a very Reds thing to do.

It will be no mystery why the Reds are still terrible 2-3 years from now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    With Senzel and Trammell looming on the horizon, I think the Reds are pretty close to being a playoff contending team. They need to get a little lucky with the pitching staff they have assembled. And they really should try to get someone to play center for 2019. Eventually Trammell will play there.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I figured it would of really started picking up after the New Year but it’s still slow. I figure once Harper signs the OF market will go pretty quick. Harper and Machado thought the market would be bigger for both but teams aren’t really wanting to give out 300+ deals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Long for Stowers is the odd part of this trade. Good for the M's to pick up Long cheaply. He's not gonna be a star, but will probably end up being a useful utility player. I'm wondering if the Yankees just didn't have room for Long on their 40-man roster (assuming some moves coming up).

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    If AA gets a platoon for the outfield or Markakis is back, this offseason is a huge fail. Braves had some money to play with, have arguably the best farm system in baseball, theres no excuse to settle for a platoon.
    A platoon would be fine if it was a platoon the caliber of someone like Joc Pederson. A 3 win outfielder is a 3 win outfielder and if we have to give Duvall ~200 plate appearances to minimize Pederson's at bats against lefties then I have no problem with it. Mostly because I expect Duvall to come back and be a perfectly reasonable, if not slightly above average, bench bat for us in a platoon scenario. Now, if we end up getting a right handed outfielder, then we should probably dump Duvall and look for cheap left handed options on the market.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Peraza SS, Gennett 2B, Votto 1B, Suarez 3B, Puig RF, Winkler CF, Kemp LF, Barnhart C is a nice lineup! That rotation is still very much so putrid.

They've got to pray that two of the Cubs, Brewers, Cards and Pirates (most likely) underachieve to make any noise.
    That might also be one of the worst outfields ever defensively.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Like I said, it seems odd he would be given such a ranking based on minor league numbers and age. No other outlet seems too particularly high on him either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Like I said, it seems odd he would be given such a ranking based on minor league numbers and age. No other outlet seems too particularly high on him either.
    You might be right. If you knock Long's valuation down a notch then all legs of this trade make more sense.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    That might also be one of the worst outfields ever defensively.
    They need to flip a corner outfielder for someone to play center.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I assume the moves for 2019 are result of ownership mandate to put a better team on the field.

Only real way to explain the overpay.

If they're not crazy about the prospect and are under orders, it sort of makes sense. I don't think the extension is bad at all, though it's a little weird to commit to Sonny Gray at this point. But 10m isn't going to break them if he doesn't pan out and I'm not sure they would be picking anyone up next FA that would be any more appetizing at that price point.

I give it neither raves nor jeers, just not really sure they need to be trying right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You might be right. If you knock Long's valuation down a notch then all legs of this trade make more sense.
    I mean, the draft pick makes it completely unappealing, but Long for Gray straight up seems like ok value for both teams if he is more of a 45 FV type

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This will forever be Exhibit A when folks claim they want an extension window in a trade.

Signing Gray to a market rate extension adds zero value, and making the trade contingent on such an extension is a very Reds thing to do.

It will be no mystery why the Reds are still terrible 2-3 years from now.
    It’s pretty funny to award a guy with an extension, when he just came off the worst year of his career.

It’s pretty much like (and I realize Gray has better stuff), the Reds trading for Julio and giving him an extension. Julio didn’t have a good year, but he was still the better pitcher last year.

Different talent level of pitcher...yes. The stats do not see it that way though.