Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Remember when all the posi-braves got offended and threw a temper tantrum because the Braves were projected to win 73 games?
    Now now. Easy there.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    #1 pick here we come!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Seth Beer will be ours!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Seth Beer will be ours!
    Beer ops
    '16 = 1.235
    '17 = 1.068

Is he still projected top pick?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Beer ops
    '16 = 1.235
    '17 = 1.068

Is he still projected top pick?
    From what I've read he will be. Seth has had an extremely low BABIP this year so I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Man. The team's baseball IQ is killing is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Man. The team's baseball IQ is killing is
    lmao

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    From what I've read he will be. Seth has had an extremely low BABIP this year so I don't think there's anything to worry about.
    Beer is overrated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Beer is overrated
    You're drinking the wrong kind.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (05-07-2017), Tapate50 (05-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Remember when all the posi-braves got offended and threw a temper tantrum because the Braves were projected to win 73 games?

I root for my team. **** me, right?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (05-07-2017), Tapate50 (05-08-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I root for my team. **** me, right?
    You can root for your team and not be homeristic about how the team will do.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You can root for your team and not be homeristic about how the team will do.
    I'm guessing he feels like he can pull for his team any way he wants.

This board has taken a bad turn to the analysis side. Its not a Braves board, it's a statistical analysis blog where cynicism is valued above everything else and if you don't toe the saber line you're a loser.

That's fine that you see it that way, but there's really not a lot of joy here for me and, I'm guessing, a lot of guys. It's a shame.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-08-2017), Tapate50 (05-08-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post

This board has taken a bad turn to the analysis side. Its not a Braves board, it's a statistical analysis blog where cynicism is valued above everything else and if you don't toe the saber line you're a loser.

That's fine that you see it that way, but there's really not a lot of joy here for me and, I'm guessing, a lot of guys. It's a shame.
    People can root for their team however they want. But in general when your team sucks with little hope things tend to get testy and not too pleasant. Nobody is happy about how the team currently is. To me it's not about toeing the saber line. I like having intelligent discussions about the Braves. I enjoy educating others about sabremetrics when they truly have a desire to learn more. If you don't agree with it then I respect that opinion. I just don't think it's correct. The name calling and **** posts have gotten out of hand lately. I am to blame for some of it. However ensheff is right that some posters got pissy and insulting when stats showed the Braves likely wouldn't be that good this year. Now they missed the mark (so far) on how that was going to come about but things don't look good for the team right now.

There are some posters on here who do like to stir the pot more then normal. It's probably best to ignore those people/posts and not engage.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Was at the game today. Lots of things I really liked about the stadium. Memorial park was awesome!

However, there were plenty of things they didn't think about. Like where hallways narrow up causing log jams of people trying to move around the stadium. Also, only one smoking section...outside of the stadium...really?! They had security guards letting people in and out of the designated smoking area. You had to wait in line, and of course walk all the way around the stadium to get there so you miss an inning and a half easy
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post

Agreed 100%. I thought after I came back that I would enjoy posting again. I'm seeing now that the reasons I originally left are even worse than before. Maybe it's just me getting older but it's just not fun anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    People can root for their team however they want. But in general when your team sucks with little hope things tend to get testy and not too pleasant. Nobody is happy about how the team currently is. To me it's not about toeing the saber line. I like having intelligent discussions about the Braves. I enjoy educating others about sabremetrics when they truly have a desire to learn more. If you don't agree with it then I respect that opinion. I just don't think it's correct. The name calling and **** posts have gotten out of hand lately. I am to blame for some of it. However ensheff is right that some posters got pissy and insulting when stats showed the Braves likely wouldn't be that good this year. Now they missed the mark (so far) on how that was going to come about but things don't look good for the team right now.

There are some posters on here who do like to stir the pot more then normal. It's probably best to ignore those people/posts and not engage.
    You're probably right. Every time that guy says "Posi-Brave," it's a poke. Of course you can criticize. We've been one of the worst teams in the league for several years now, we will be again this year, and there are real questions regarding the judgement and efficacy of our front office.

But WTH are we doing here if we're not Braves fans? I'm going to look for the silver lining, no matter what. I thought if things broke right, they could be a .500 club. Seems highly unlikely at this point, and theres a lot of work to be done to even get to that level. But I'm certainly going to enjoy it on the too-seldom occasions they do well, which is mocked and ridiculed by a vocal minority on this board.

For all you young guys on the board, there's a lesson there - it's easy to be a cynic, a critic, and point out the problem in the process. It's a lot tougher to understand that pain is part of the process and trying to stay positive in the face of relentless cynicism, disguised as realism, is the only way to enjoy this life.

Off Soapbox. Have a good night, Go Braves.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Garmel (05-07-2017), Hawk (05-08-2017), mfree80 (05-08-2017), Southcack77 (05-08-2017), Tapate50 (05-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I remember a time when the Braves were always discounted and overcame the odds. Last 5 years of the streak it was "if Chipper stays healthy they might have a chance" and of course he didn't but we still won. We always had some kind of fluke miracle like Charles Thomas or Jaret Wright come out of nowhere to have a career year. Remember starting the year with Mondesi and Jordan in the corner outfield? Remember when Russ Ortiz was our staff ace? What was it 2013 when we opened a 12 game lead on the Nationals by June and the negi-Braves spent the whole year in panic mode every time the Nats won 2 games in a row. Something something buttering rolls.

I don't care if it's a 1% or 2% chance I am rooting for the Braves to win. I remember a time when they used to say the only thing you can count on are death, taxes, and the Atlanta Braves. The "experts" just gave up and stopped picking against the Braves to win the division.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 05-07-2017 at 09:55 PM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Somebody needs to wake this team up and tell them that it's 2017 already.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I don't care if it's a 1% or 2% chance I am rooting for the Braves to win. I remember a time when they used to say the only thing you can count on are death, taxes, and the Atlanta Braves. The "experts" just gave up and stopped picking against the Braves to win the division.
    And there is nothing wrong with that. But you are first in line to try and make snide comments at people who are critical of some of the Braves moves, as in when you called everyone questioning the Braves calling up Swanson last year dumb because "the Braves see him all the time and know things we don't". And you were leading the charge to send him back down this week after that error, pulling a complete 180 on the subject. When you do things like that you are going to get called out for it.

Posi-brave is fine, but you, thethe, tyree, and clv (though not so much for him lately) go out of your way to make jabbing comments that cause just as many issues as Enscheff does, it's a vicious cycle that leads to countless derailed threads. I think the biggest issue is the black/white attitude many on the posi-brave spectrum have, being critical of certain moves doesn't mean someone doesn't have hope for the Braves future. Hell, I like many of our players in the minors and have positive vibes about our future for the most part (I just see that future starting in 2019 realistically).

People in the middle/realist/stats oriented like myself, nscapi, 76, wupk, and smootness seem to be able to have genuine discussions even when we disagree, which is quite often really. But there is way too much if you aren't with us you are against us stuff on this board, and that I have issues with. It's fine to be like thethe and see the rainbow in every cloud, just don't get pissed or surprised when people aren't joining you on that trip to Honahlee.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (05-07-2017), nsacpi (05-08-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    And there is nothing wrong with that. But you are first in line to try and make snide comments at people who are critical of some of the Braves moves, as in when you called everyone questioning the Braves calling up Swanson last year dumb because "the Braves see him all the time and know things we don't". And you were leading the charge to send him back down this week after that error, pulling a complete 180 on the subject. When you do things like that you are going to get called out for it.

Posi-brave is fine, but you, thethe, tyree, and clv (though not so much for him lately) go out of your way to make jabbing comments that cause just as many issues as Enscheff does, it's a vicious cycle that leads to countless derailed threads. I think the biggest issue is the black/white attitude many on the posi-brave spectrum have, being critical of certain moves doesn't mean someone doesn't have hope for the Braves future. Hell, I like many of our players in the minors and have positive vibes about our future for the most part (I just see that future starting in 2019 realistically).

People in the middle/realist/stats oriented like myself, nscapi, 76, wupk, and smootness seem to be able to have genuine discussions even when we disagree, which is quite often really. But there is way too much if you aren't with us you are against us stuff on this board, and that I have issues with. It's fine to be like thethe and see the rainbow in every cloud, just don't get pissed or surprised when people aren't joining you on that trip to Honahlee.
    I've posted about ten times since before spring training, not particularly sunny, so it's not my positiveness that has you out of joint. And I love the discussion of what's wrong and what needs to be done and where we go from here, including those with saber spins. Good stuff. I just can't stand that guy beating the drum on the people who post here and showing his ass day in, day out. He's relentless and effective. They should offer him a job at Gitmo.

And I understand where you're coming from on thethe, but for whatever reason when he gets uberoptimistic I can easily let it go, unlike the sarcasm and asshole tone of the other guy. I've put him on ignore, we'll see if that does it.

If I start talking in somewhat technical terms about pitchers' issues and, while integrating saber stuff in there, talking about the actual art and science of playing the game rather than just the stats as the end game, it'd be nice if guys would pick up the discussion and say what they're seeing and their thoughts. My comments on Wisler the other night on another thread were an example. I felt like I was talking baseball, other guys were talking probabilities and outcomes. Of course it's unlikely that he will ever do much, I don't think that's in doubt. Most prospects flame out. The interesting question to me is, what does he need to do to get there? And it seems like we have a dearth of people who want to discuss that.

All right. Enough for me. Go Braves.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-08-2017)