Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suzuki signs a 1 year deal

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomahawkCult View Post
    I hear the same from a friend who played and coached a lot of baseball (that's not meant to disqualify board members' respective opinions, my meaning is he knows a lot more than me). He's not at all a fan of Flowers's defensive game for the reasons you list above.
    I certainly don't want to appear that I'm "not a fan" of Tyler back there at all - he's more than "good enough" IMO, I'd just like to see him improve in those areas. For all the strikes he steals, it just doesn't seem to me that he's had the effect on the kids' pitch counts you'd hope he'd have. When he gets crossed-up and the pitch is a strike (even if it costs them a strike), I don't get quite as upset since it's often just as likely the Pitcher either missed the sign or just whiffed on location. It just seems like I've caught myself mumbling "catch the *amn ball Tyler" a lot more often than I ever expected to in 2 strike counts given his reputation, and that drives their pitch counts higher (not to mention frustrates them to a point the others are just better at hiding than Folty).

That's the reason I mentioned someone else may be able to find info pertaining to that - I could very well be pointing out something that's not an issue simply because those things stick out more because they get under my skin since I'm watching for them.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-24-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

TomahawkCult (09-24-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think you have to look at the alternatives forgone here. I'll just cite two alternatives that I advocated some for last off-season.

One was Charlie Morton, ex Braves prospect, who ended up signing with the Stros for 2 years at 7M per year.

The other was Edison Volquez, who signed for 2 years for a total of 22M.

Morton had a very nice season and Volquez blew out his elbow and probably won't pitch next year. In a nutshell, this illustrates the risks of going out to multiple years with pitchers. But it also illustrates the potential benefits. You get a certain type of player on one-year deals, and you get players with more upside on multi-year deals. Generally speaking. I think this off-season we should aim a little higher than the 40 something pitcher category. There is risk. But we should take it. Not 5 years or beyond type deals. But maybe 3 years with an option for someone like Lynn or Cobb.
    I would agree for going for the higher ceiling pitchers on short multi year deals. 2018 will be the year that the braves can really start to benefit from it. 2017 was still too early for that push imo.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I guess we have to hope they stick with the juiced ball

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Want to know how you can immediately dismiss someone's opinion on baseball, no matter how much they played or claim to know about the game? They don't understand how good Flowers is defensively.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I would agree for going for the higher ceiling pitchers on short multi year deals. 2018 will be the year that the braves can really start to benefit from it. 2017 was still too early for that push imo.
    Still think one of Lynn or Cobb fits perfect this winter - frees up at least one young arm to be included in a trade for a 3B or LF.

But have no doubt you're right that looking for one-year guys last winter was the right move.

I know it was just the Phillies and it's a SSS, but I'm buying Gohara and to a lesser extent Newcomb as at least a #3. Go time's getting awfully close IMO.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-24-2017 at 06:54 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Still think one of Lynn or Cobb fits perfect this winter - frees up at least one young arm to be included in a trade for a 3B or LF.

But have no doubt you're right that looking for one-year guys last winter was the right move.

I know it was just the Phillies and it's a SSS, but I'm buying Gohara and to a lesser extent Newcomb as at least a #3. Go time's getting awfully close IMO.
    I don't see the trade for a 3b. We have too many of as is.

Cobb or Lynn seem good but I'm not sure they sign for less than 3 yrs.

I'd still roll with Tehran folty dickey Newcombe. Let gohara start in aaa bc u don't need a fifth starter for the first month. Then gohara. The following year you likely have a couple of allard soroka and Wright ready.

Consider a 3b like Frazier on the market. Or try Ruiz with a light platoon.

We might dump one of our crappy corners but I doubt we get two out

When the juiced balls go away Suzuki is going to suck again

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    I certainly don't want to appear that I'm "not a fan" of Tyler back there at all - he's more than "good enough" IMO, I'd just like to see him improve in those areas. For all the strikes he steals, it just doesn't seem to me that he's had the effect on the kids' pitch counts you'd hope he'd have. When he gets crossed-up and the pitch is a strike (even if it costs them a strike), I don't get quite as upset since it's often just as likely the Pitcher either missed the sign or just whiffed on location. It just seems like I've caught myself mumbling "catch the *amn ball Tyler" a lot more often than I ever expected to in 2 strike counts given his reputation, and that drives their pitch counts higher (not to mention frustrates them to a point the others are just better at hiding than Folty).

That's the reason I mentioned someone else may be able to find info pertaining to that - I could very well be pointing out something that's not an issue simply because those things stick out more because they get under my skin since I'm watching for them.
    I didn’t get that impression at all. My response was more of a, “Yeah, I have heard that too.”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TomahawkCult For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-25-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

Gohard looks really good. Braves scouting dept nailed that one. As is Newk is looking like a league average starter. That's certainly valuable and likely as good as he can be with that type of command. But I think most of us would take league average over what we've seen out of the rotation lately.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-25-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I am very surprised Kurt took this deal, but I'm sure glad he did.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Want to know how you can immediately dismiss someone's opinion on baseball, no matter how much they played or claim to know about the game? They don't understand how good Flowers is defensively.
    Yup. Apparently statcast is now getting into the pitch framing game. (will be glad once all of that data is made available on their site) I missed this tidbit when it first dropped but apparently Flowers is getting 8.5% of balls called strikes this year which is far and away the best in baseball according to them. Due to that Baseball Prospectus (only WAR system to include framing runs) has Flowers at 5.84 on the year which is 13th in baseball for them.

Flowers' pitch framing ability makes him a stud.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (09-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Yup. Apparently statcast is now getting into the pitch framing game. (will be glad once all of that data is made available on their site) I missed this tidbit when it first dropped but apparently Flowers is getting 8.5% of balls called strikes this year which is far and away the best in baseball according to them. Due to that Baseball Prospectus (only WAR system to include framing runs) has Flowers at 5.84 on the year which is 13th in baseball for them.

We are building around young pitching. Getting Flowers is a great move.

I will be mad if he plays this year for 4 million. We need to jump that up to 7-8 million at least and buy ourselves a couple of team options. Rip up next year and do 2/15 with a team option for 10.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Are these statcast framing numbers available anywhere?