Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeff Schultz Interview w/ John Hart

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I may be way off in my interpretation of what Hart said, but my impression is Fredi is not going to be brought back as manager.
    I can only hope. Nothing against the guy, just a terrible manager and not good at what he is paid to do. But I do think the organization will keep him in some capacity, whether it's a coach at the big league level or in some capacity for player development in the minor leagues.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-16-2015)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Q: Will that be a tough call at the end of the year?
    A: I don’t think so.
    Q: As in, he’ll be brought back?
    A: I don’t want to go there.

Yeah, if it's not going to be a tough call and Hart doesn't want to go there, then pretty safe that Fredi won't be manager. They just like Fredi on a personal level most likely and there is zero need to make a move mid season. And he likely stays around in some capacity in the org if he wants.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Q: Will that be a tough call at the end of the year?
    A: I don’t think so.
    Q: As in, he’ll be brought back?
    A: I don’t want to go there.

Yeah, if it's not going to be a tough call and Hart doesn't want to go there, then pretty safe that Fredi won't be manager. They just like Fredi on a personal level most likely and there is zero need to make a move mid season. And he likely stays around in some capacity in the org if he wants.
    It almost seems Hart knew Fredi wasn't the right fit but figured "What the Hell" in a rebuild season. Plus this allows them to save face again like they did last year with the batting coach (who they later gave another job). In other words, Fredi won't be officially fired but no renewal of his contract as manager. Then likely brought back in another capacity later on if not straight away (again same as Braves previous batting coach and same as TP once upon a time too).

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    A bit in the interview I found interesting was Hart's comment about not getting the pieces he originally wanted in the Justin Upton trade.

"The Justin Upton deal we (discussed) so many pieces. The guys we wanted, they didn’t put in — they got put into another (trade)"

MLBTR pointed out that the Padres moved Jesse Hahn to Oakland for Norris the day before.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    As a side note, I have to admit that Hart's candor is utterly and welcomingly refreshing in contrast to what we got from Wren. He's won me over in many respects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    A bit in the interview I found interesting was Hart's comment about not getting the pieces he originally wanted in the Justin Upton trade.

"The Justin Upton deal we (discussed) so many pieces. The guys we wanted, they didn’t put in — they got put into another (trade)"

MLBTR pointed out that the Padres moved Jesse Hahn to Oakland for Norris the day before.
    Almost worth finding that one old thread to see if I'm still there "speculating" about how we didn't get what we wanted in the Upton trade because we hesitated and the Padres used the pieces we wanted in a different trade.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Hawk (07-16-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    As a side note, I have to admit that Hart's candor is utterly and welcomingly refreshing in contrast to what we got from Wren. He's won me over in many respects.
    In fairness. Wren was trying to keep his job. Hart knows he's gonna be stepping down in a few years for Coppy.
    Forever Fredi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (07-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    In fairness. Wren was trying to keep his job. Hart knows he's gonna be stepping down in a few years for Coppy.
    That's a good point. And it fits the image they want Hart to have right now.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    IIf you'll recall, Frank started off wanting to be more transparent than His Lordship. Three months of near constant questioning on why he couldn't get the Peavy deal done ended that.

His Boy Hart kind of has an "I don't give a ****" vibe about interviews - I suspect because he can tell the pissed off one or the rotund one exactly what's on his mind and it doesn't matter because 20 minutes later it will change, anyway.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Yes, but what would the Braves have gotten besides Hahn? Hart mentioned they wanted a MLB pitcher and a pitching prospect like they got for Heyward (Miller and Jenkins), so I'm going to assume Fried was the equivalent of Jenkins while Hahn would have been the equivalent of Miller.

So would the inclusion of Hahn kept the Braves from getting one or more of Jace, Dustin and/or Mallex?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So would the inclusion of Hahn kept the Braves from getting one or more of Jace, Dustin and/or Mallex?
    Wouldn't have effected it. We would've just thrown in Melvin Upton Sr. in the deal.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts

Hahn just hit the DL with a strained right forearm (TJ). Seems legit.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (07-16-2015)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdat View Post
    Hahn just hit the DL with a strained right forearm (TJ). Seems legit.
    Would've happened first day of spring training with us.
    Forever Fredi

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I can't wait for A.J. to be able to speak freely about working with CB. Bet it won't be praise.

I fully expect Fredi to be our special super scout, advance man and offical team rep in CUBA when the restrictions all finally come down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    I can't wait for A.J. to be able to speak freely about working with CB. Bet it won't be praise.

I fully expect Fredi to be our special super scout, advance man and offical team rep in CUBA when the restrictions all finally come down.
    Another ex-manager, the late Jim Fregosi had a similar role.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I've been one that has said fans are giving up on Bethancourt too soon, but I think John Hart makes a great point that was apparent in a game last week or the week before.

Q: Are you worried about Bethancourt?

A: I really like his skill set. I don’t think he has embraced what it is he needs to do to sell out to his pitching staff, to drive the train. We sent him to Gwinnett, and I told (manager Brian Snitker) the boxes I wanted checked: shows up early, prepares for game, goes over scouting report, works the pitcher. Go through those intangibles.

Q: You’re talking about dedication.

A: Not dedication. It’s a level of preparedness you need for what Roger (McDowell) expects and a championship organization expects, especially when dealing with young pitchers.
    Part of that is leadership. There was a AAA game a couple of weeks ago where Folty was pitching. Folty has issues controlling his emotions, and when things started to unravel, Christian Bethancourt needed to make trip to the mound to get his pitcher under control. Beth did not make that trip though, and Folty ended up completely unraveling.

Something else that comes to mind is that this is a player who is very athletic and apparently puts on a show in batting practice where he shows his raw power. Then the game starts and he completely changes his approach to that of more of a contact hitter. I wonder how much of this has been an unwillingness on his part to sacrifice contact for added power? The red light that is blinking about this kid right now is coachability. This may also be why they have asked around for some young catchers in trade talks. Now, I have little doubt that Bethancourt will spend the rest of the season in AAA and will finish the season there. Some of this may be Fredi as well, because regardless of what you think about his managing, he does not take very well to players who aren't giving great effort. See Hanley Ramirez with the Marlins.

If they do make a deal at the deadline, I anticipate they will target a young catcher in the deal that may be to the point where he can push Bethancourt in 2016.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Fredi extended through 2017.

Good guy Hart. Sees how hard this team is fighting for Fredi, knows he gave him the short end of the stick on talent this year. Bobby and JS probably had a lot of influence on the call too.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    IIf you'll recall, Frank started off wanting to be more transparent than His Lordship. Three months of near constant questioning on why he couldn't get the Peavy deal done ended that.

His Boy Hart kind of has an "I don't give a ****" vibe about interviews - I suspect because he can tell the pissed off one or the rotund one exactly what's on his mind and it doesn't matter because 20 minutes later it will change, anyway.
    I wasn't particularly a fan of Wren, but he was a lot more transparent then Schuerholz on his best day. I thought Wren was fairly transparent throughout his tenure.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (07-17-2015)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I wasn't particularly a fan of Wren, but he was a lot more transparent then Schuerholz on his best day. I thought Wren was fairly transparent throughout his tenure.
    That was always my impression, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Wren became less transparent after the non Peavy deal, and rightfully so.
    thank you weso1!