Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Charlie Morton

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I keep forgetting that Seager is an option at 3b.
    he's honestly my #1 target. gives another lefty which is big for this lineup. he's kind of the perfect guy.
    a combo of Seager and Pederson, which really isn't absurd, would make this team very deep. that's a dream scenario.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Do we have enough money for Joc, seager and Ozuna? That would be a stacked offense if we have the DH that is.
    Coppy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2020)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I know it is just BR projections, but how much more is Seager worth than Riley? Is this just hometown critics?

AR - 243/309/452 w/ 16HR
    KS - 231/311/428 w/ 15HR

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    You think that is all? I’m curious.

I think the issue with Seager is if he’s traded his team option becomes guaranteed. If I remember correctly. 2/34 is a lot for him.
    2/34 is probably close to what he'd get if he were a FA right now. He might even get a 3rd year. The 3b market is super weak in FA. Plus, dropping Ender's money would off set nearly 1/3 of it. So you're technically only adding about 24-25 million in new money.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2020)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    OK Trade Ender and whom ever for Seager and add the $10M this year. Will that in itself keep you from getting a competent DH? LF? You know Pache may not be quite ready. There may well be reduced attendance again in 2021 and who knows about 2022 tho I doubt the MLBPA will want a work stoppage again if 2021 has reduced revenues. Way too early to predict roster needs for 2022 but do have to acknowledge Seager at $15M if this trade is made as proposed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    One option I hadn't considered in for 3b is Brad Miller. It seems like he's basically a LH version of Riley. Above average power, mediocre contact skills and on base ability. While he hasn't received good grades defensively at 3b defensively over the last 2 seasons, it's only 200 innings worth of data and it's been a fairly new position for him to play. Plus he is very versatile, playing every position except catcher over his career.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    I know it is just BR projections, but how much more is Seager worth than Riley? Is this just hometown critics?

AR - 243/309/452 w/ 16HR
    KS - 231/311/428 w/ 15HR
    I'm not sure why you're comparing the last 4 years of Seagar vs the last 2 years of Riley. That makes no sense.

But even still, you are not taking into account the difference in leagues and parks. Whatever way you want to spin it, Seagar has been significantly better than Riley.

And as long as we don't trade Riley, a platoon of Seagar and Riley would actually be the best option considering Seagar's struggles with LHP over his career.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2020)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I can not comparing multiple variant stats, I am references BRs 2021 projections only. BR projects them both to be the exact same batter next year (given full time 3B duties). A platoon works great if you can afford the extra $18M ($10M if they take ender just to dump salary). Everyone here seems to think they would never do that, but I happen to think they would. If they could drop $8M off thier books for a player that quite frankly will likely underperform (as he ages) is not a bad deal. If they could get any type of prospect in return, then win for them.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I'm not sure why you're comparing the last 4 years of Seagar vs the last 2 years of Riley. That makes no sense.

But even still, you are not taking into account the difference in leagues and parks. Whatever way you want to spin it, Seagar has been significantly better than Riley.

And as long as we don't trade Riley, a platoon of Seagar and Riley would actually be the best option considering Seagar's struggles with LHP over his career.
    Isn’t that an expensive platoon though. Maybe not. Especially if they take ender back. But then I don’t know why they would do that without a bump in prospect return. Then why trade a good prospect for a platoon guy. Why not just go get Shaw.
    Coppy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2020)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    One option I hadn't considered in for 3b is Brad Miller. It seems like he's basically a LH version of Riley. Above average power, mediocre contact skills and on base ability. While he hasn't received good grades defensively at 3b defensively over the last 2 seasons, it's only 200 innings worth of data and it's been a fairly new position for him to play. Plus he is very versatile, playing every position except catcher over his career.
    I don't know if his defense would be good enough to handle the LHH part of a platoon with Riley, but Miller wouldn't be a bad guy to have around. Versatile guy who can hit some. Spent most of 2020 as the Cardinals' DH, so that's a plus as well. Lots of stamps on his baseball passport. I'm really curious to see what his market will be.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    I can not comparing multiple variant stats, I am references BRs 2021 projections only. BR projects them both to be the exact same batter next year (given full time 3B duties). A platoon works great if you can afford the extra $18M ($10M if they take ender just to dump salary). Everyone here seems to think they would never do that, but I happen to think they would. If they could drop $8M off thier books for a player that quite frankly will likely underperform (as he ages) is not a bad deal. If they could get any type of prospect in return, then win for them.
    steamer/depth charts actually seem to...really like Riley next year?
    Steamer has him with 30 bombs and a 1.9 WAR. the Braves would take that in a second and only look to upgrade the OF.
    i'm not nearly that optimistic on him tho. i wonder if AA is.
    Steamer has Seager at 2.2 WAR.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Carp (11-25-2020), jpx7 (11-25-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't know if his defense would be good enough to handle the LHH part of a platoon with Riley, but Miller wouldn't be a bad guy to have around. Versatile guy who can hit some. Spent most of 2020 as the Cardinals' DH, so that's a plus as well. Lots of stamps on his baseball passport. I'm really curious to see what his market will be.
    i hadn't thought about Miller for even a second. but...he seems like a decent option? he'd be the strong-side platoon option tho, so yeah, it *really* depends on his defense.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Isn’t that an expensive platoon though. Maybe not. Especially if they take ender back. But then I don’t know why they would do that without a bump in prospect return. Then why trade a good prospect for a platoon guy. Why not just go get Shaw.
    Shaw has been pretty awful the last 2 years, even vs RHP. Brad Miller is the best option offensively in FA for a LHH platoon with Riley, though I don't know how good/bad he is defensively at 3b.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-25-2020 at 10:54 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    steamer/depth charts actually seem to...really like Riley next year?
    Steamer has him with 30 bombs and a 1.9 WAR. the Braves would take that in a second and only look to upgrade the OF.
    i'm not nearly that optimistic on him tho. i wonder if AA is.
    Steamer has Seager at 2.2 WAR.
    Yeah those are pretty rosey projections for Riley. Considering how absolutely dreadful he has been against RHP in his career, I really don't see that happening.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Yeah those are pretty rosey projections for Riley. Considering how absolutely dreadful he has been against RHP in his career, I really don't see that happening.
    age is still on his side. will be barely 24 when the season starts.
    but yeah, i just...don't see how the projections get there on him. maybe they just really buy that he'll continue to improve. that would just be a large improvement quickly. it's possible, but i wouldn't project it or bet on it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    age is still on his side. will be barely 24 when the season starts.
    but yeah, i just...don't see how the projections get there on him. maybe they just really buy that he'll continue to improve. that would just be a large improvement quickly. it's possible, but i wouldn't project it or bet on it.
    I mean there were some encouraging signs in 2020. He did walk more and strikeout less. But it came at a huge loss in power. And the contact rates are still very troublesome. It would take a huge improvement, particularly vs RHP, for him to approach those projections.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I actually have no issue with giving Riley 400 PAs before the deadline next year. He made real improvements last season in the exact areas he needed to improve. His defense is fine, and maybe even good. There are worse things in the world than having a 1-2 win player with upside earning the minimum as your worst position player.

So unless there is no DH and the Ozuna replacement has to come at 3b, I think I’d prefer Riley plus some LHH help at 3b at least until the trade deadline.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-25-2020), PawPawMaxwell (11-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    Maybe I am alone but I am not excited about Morton. It's a 1 year deal so how bad could it be. I feel a lot more optimistic than the Hamelas deal last year. I think we dodged a bullet by having him miss most of the year.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Maybe I am alone but I am not excited about Morton. It's a 1 year deal so how bad could it be. I feel a lot more optimistic than the Hamelas deal last year. I think we dodged a bullet by having him miss most of the year.
    I'm not sure how Hamels playing could have been worse

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-25-2020), jpx7 (11-25-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    This has to be the oddest take on Hamels and Morton I’ve ever seen. No idea how Hamels not pitching is better than throwing out the worst SPs in the history of playoff teams.

I’d love to hear specifics about what’s not to like about Morton because he was my top preference for the rotation. If it’s just injury concerns then that comes with the package of signing older SPs to short deals...young healthy SPs don’t sign for 1 year.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-27-2020), jpx7 (11-25-2020)