Page 22 of 229 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead - The 2020 Offseason Thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Do we really have this much control over Matzek? I assumed he was a FA.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/atlanta-...-matzek-14120/

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post

Unless he signed a contract that supersedes his normal status (à la Martin coming back from Japan), which is rare, then that is correct.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Braves have guaranteed about 67.5m on the books.

Probably have about 15-25m in other salary. So they're somewhere between 80-95m committed.

I'm not sure whether austerity would make them more or less likely to pick up the likes of Luke Jackson, Camargo, O'Day, Folty, etc.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-16-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I love Ozuna. He seems to be critical to the team chemistry. Seems to be a great compliment to FF. Both leading in different ways.

I'd be very concerned about a 33+ y/o Ozuna on my team. He went from a CF to a guy with no arm, who can't play LF who isn't a good baserunner. He has a great bat but it seems to be very much tied to big time bat speed. I think offering him a 4-5 year deal is very scary, even with a DH.

With COVID budgets, who knows. Mets may just buy up everyone and we sit everything out.

I think worrying about a 33 year old DH is probably being a bit too anxious.

I also think that he's hitting the market at a pretty bad time for his breakout.

But, very possibly he's not somebody the Braves will choose to afford. I'm not sure what exactly the Braves will be doing this offseason.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-16-2020)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Do we need another starter at this point. Do we just keep trying our youngsters.

Pache seems like a neck replacement. Maybe just a LHH platoon for Duvvy. So just resign Ozuna as our DH and let’s go.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Do we need another starter at this point. Do we just keep trying our youngsters.

Pache seems like a neck replacement. Maybe just a LHH platoon for Duvvy. So just resign Ozuna as our DH and let’s go.
    I think we need an impact starter. Impact guy, Max, Ian, Soroka, Wright. I still think Wright is a very good 5 next year. Still have Wilson, Touki, Newk, Davidson, etc as options. They'll sign a vet, 5th starter option to a 1 year 1 million dollar deal like they always do.

I'd love for us to get two bats and an impact starter. Even if that means we have to spend less in the pen this year. I think the market will be bad enough we can get quality Pen guys for less than 5 million and on one year deals. I'm not coming near MM and Greene's asking prices. Impact starter. Ozuna or Ozuna replacement. LH bat that can play corner OF and at least mash RH pitching.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    GM meetings this year will be very interesting. With new CBA coming, no guarantee that COVID will be cleared up and dont forget Freddie bargaining in the near future. Is Pache truly ready? How close is Waters? Is there hope for Touki, Ynoa, Davidson, Muller et al?
    I would bet my weekly allowance that Bryant is a prime target for AA.
    Unfortunately there may be some other teams with the same interest.
    Really doubt a high dollar front line starter is in the works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I think we need an impact starter. Impact guy, Max, Ian, Soroka, Wright. I still think Wright is a very good 5 next year. Still have Wilson, Touki, Newk, Davidson, etc as options. They'll sign a vet, 5th starter option to a 1 year 1 million dollar deal like they always do.

I'd love for us to get two bats and an impact starter. Even if that means we have to spend less in the pen this year. I think the market will be bad enough we can get quality Pen guys for less than 5 million and on one year deals. I'm not coming near MM and Greene's asking prices. Impact starter. Ozuna or Ozuna replacement. LH bat that can play corner OF and at least mash RH pitching.
    Another starter, preferably a LH? Why not try and stretch out Matzek? Hasnt this been suggested before on here?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Another starter, preferably a LH? Why not try and stretch out Matzek? Hasnt this been suggested before on here?

I'm not sure I would be in favor of trying to take a guy out of a role he is thriving in to force him into something he failed at the first time and caused him to have a mental breakdown of sorts.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-16-2020)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

If the Braves win the Series with this current group, I'm going to have to think more about the importance of having aces.

If your pen is good enough to limit starters to two trips through the order, the importance of having a famous #1 is pretty deeply diminished.

It's not really working for the Dodgers and it wasn't really working for the Nats until last season.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-16-2020)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I'm not sure I would be in favor of trying to take a guy out of a role he is thriving in to force him into something he failed at the first time and caused him to have a mental breakdown of sorts.
    I've been an advocate for stretching Matzek out, but I read somewhere recently (can't remember where) that Matzek likes the role he's in, and doesn't want to change it. For a guy with his history, I think that's worth giving credence.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    If the Braves win the Series with this current group, I'm going to have to think more about the importance of having aces.

If your pen is good enough to limit starters to two trips through the order, the importance of having a famous #1 is pretty deeply diminished.

It's not really working for the Dodgers and it wasn't really working for the Nats until last season.
    This is already common knowledge, and is exactly how AA built this roster. The same thing worked for the Indians too.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    What about sign Paxton 1 year deal?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ixiXSolidXixi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-16-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

Matzek only pitched 1 full season in Colorado, and 5 starts in his second year only 22 innings, and this year for the Braves. That seems very accurate.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-16-2020)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I love Ozuna. He seems to be critical to the team chemistry. Seems to be a great compliment to FF. Both leading in different ways.

I'd be very concerned about a 33+ y/o Ozuna on my team. He went from a CF to a guy with no arm, who can't play LF who isn't a good baserunner. He has a great bat but it seems to be very much tied to big time bat speed. I think offering him a 4-5 year deal is very scary, even with a DH.

With COVID budgets, who knows. Mets may just buy up everyone and we sit everything out.
    First of all, Ozuna is 29, not 33. Who knows what his market may end up being. Mets will be active this winter, but even with a rich owner, they all have boundaries, not gonna have a 300 million payroll and it's a pretty weak FA class overall. Mets need quite alot of areas of help, so money can only buy so much.

If we do make the WS, we'd have some money to play with. As i've said before, we really only need 3 major things to address. Rotation, veteran arm, pending on Soroka. Bullpen depth. And Ozuna or a big bopper to replace him. We should have the money to get that even in this economy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I've been an advocate for stretching Matzek out, but I read somewhere recently (can't remember where) that Matzek likes the role he's in, and doesn't want to change it. For a guy with his history, I think that's worth giving credence.
    Agree with your premise totally but I think Matzek like everyone else will be looking at money the closer he gets to arb years. Starters make significantly more in arb than relievers.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Agree with your premise totally but I think Matzek like everyone else will be looking at money the closer he gets to arb years. Starters make significantly more in arb than relievers.
    i really, really don't see him making the transition to SP, or demanding to in order to make more in arb in a few years
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    My answer is the same as Southcack77. He had issues as a starter and he kicks ass as a reliever. Let him kick ass.

Plus there is no guarantee he can maintain that stuff over starter's innings.

I believe it was Gabe, from the AJC, who said TM did not want to start this year due to being a strong mental place in his current role.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

I didn't say famous. I didn't say Ace. I said impact.

The Dodgers aren't built like the 90s braves either. They have options, but they only announced their first two starters at the beginning of the series.

You also need to consider that next year we may not have 28 men on the roster. And there might not be a DH b/c MLB and the idiot commissioner want to hold out every nugget as a bargaining chip for the the strike. If there are less arms on the team you will want to avoid multiple pen games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    First of all, Ozuna is 29, not 33. Who knows what his market may end up being. Mets will be active this winter, but even with a rich owner, they all have boundaries, not gonna have a 300 million payroll and it's a pretty weak FA class overall. Mets need quite alot of areas of help, so money can only buy so much.

If we do make the WS, we'd have some money to play with. As i've said before, we really only need 3 major things to address. Rotation, veteran arm, pending on Soroka. Bullpen depth. And Ozuna or a big bopper to replace him. We should have the money to get that even in this economy.
    I know his age. The mention of 33+ is if you sign him to the multi-year deal some are speculating. 4/100 gives you a 33+ Ozuna.

I do not have any confidence in liberty. If we make the WS how much more money do we get? We will not be getting any of the park revenues we would have received.