Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: International News, Rumor and Signing Thread

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by praeceps93 View Post
    Just imagining an infusion of talent like that is damn near orgasmic.
    lets just pretend he waits. Where are the Braves getting that much money to sign them all. Going by reports.. Laz should get 15 million, Maitan will get around 5 million and lets just put Abraham at 3 million.. Braves should have around 7.5 maybe it is 5.. but lets go with 7.5.. that covers maitan and Gutierrez.. so Laz would be 30 million alone.. That is still 40 million committed to 3 teenagers in one year. Not to mention others that the Braves are wanting. I agree the talent would incredible.. but not sure Liberty would come off that much in July.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBrave14 View Post
    The only reason this would make sense is if the front office values him more due to being on outfielder. He would be the top outfield prospect on day 1, and we don't have anyone like him on the farm. Whereas we do have some talent at 3rd (not maitan talent....but if Riley puts up a solid season his name is going to creep up boards this year). I would hate to lose Gutierrez though. I think that the higher upside is the two guys for July.....but I would love to have a Bo Jackson clone roaming the outfield.
    Maitan could play the outfield, and I don't want to loose out on Gutierrez either.. Also there are a few other gems coming this July. Killing next July is not worth it for one guy. The Braves made several trades to stay under the penalty this year.. those would be pointless if they sign Laz now...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-03-2016), rico43 (02-03-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    please please please... unless Lazarito will somehow wait until after July 2nd... let him walk. I'd much rather take Maitan and Gutierrez... Laz is much more raw and it sounds like Maitan has a higher ceiling. Not to mention comparisons of Mike Piazza with defense has been a comparison for Gutierrez... I'd hate to screw the chance up for those guys. But if Laz will have a handshake to wait until after July 2nd... that would be amazing with all 3.
    Guys...we are not going to sign Armenteros instead of Maitan, Gutierrez, and all the other guys we're set to sign July 2. That just isn't going to happen. So to the extent we're interested, I guarantee it is contingent on finding a way to add him and still be able to add all the rest.

We are getting Maitan. Period.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Maitan could play the outfield, and I don't want to loose out on Gutierrez either.. Also there are a few other gems coming this July. Killing next July is not worth it for one guy. The Braves made several trades to stay under the penalty this year.. those would be pointless if they sign Laz now...
    How about this scenario? The Braves tell Lazarito they will meet or top any offer and give him a major league contract if he waits until after July 2 to sign?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-03-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    lets just pretend he waits. Where are the Braves getting that much money to sign them all. Going by reports.. Laz should get 15 million, Maitan will get around 5 million and lets just put Abraham at 3 million.. Braves should have around 7.5 maybe it is 5.. but lets go with 7.5.. that covers maitan and Gutierrez.. so Laz would be 30 million alone.. That is still 40 million committed to 3 teenagers in one year. Not to mention others that the Braves are wanting. I agree the talent would incredible.. but not sure Liberty would come off that much in July.
    Whatever we spend on IFA will almost certainly be figured into the budget. So the room we have left on this year's budget + the normal budget for IFA + any money pulled from elsewhere will be what we can spend. So we could always sign Armenteros and then spend a little less than we had anticipated in major league FA.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Guys...we are not going to sign Armenteros instead of Maitan, Gutierrez, and all the other guys we're set to sign July 2. That just isn't going to happen. So to the extent we're interested, I guarantee it is contingent on finding a way to add him and still be able to add all the rest.

We are getting Maitan. Period.
    this maybe a feeler to see if he is even interested in our organization. Maybe work a trade for him down the road. But I agree, I just don't see any reason they go over bonus pool now, when there are soo many in the penalty next year.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Lazarito coming to Atlanta! I heard he's a cross between Ken Griffey Jr and Carlos Toscano. The way Hart explained it to me, he's like the Travis Fryman's of centerfielders. Basically Ken Griffey Jr without the power, arm, or speed. He's also no Hector Olivera.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-04-2016), The Chosen One (02-03-2016)

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    We have no idea if those numbers are accurate, though. That's the problem with guessing who/how many guys we'll sign; we have no idea how much we're saving from the MLB payroll, how much we have from other revenues, how much Liberty Media might kick to us in loans, how much we had already budgeted from the past couple of years, etc., etc. It's a question without an answer until the end of the next signing period, unless someone here is on the Braves accounting team.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    unless someone here is on the Braves accounting team.
    I am always counting on the braves to win... is that the same?!?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-04-2016), rico43 (02-03-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Apparently a total of 9 teams are in on Lazarito.. the Braves and 8 mystery teams.. So that should do it, the price will be high for him and I doubt he waits until July to become a multi millionaire...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-04-2016)

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Apparently a total of 9 teams are in on Lazarito.. the Braves and 8 mystery teams.. So that should do it, the price will be high for him and I doubt he waits until July to become a multi millionaire...
    Meh. Depends on a lot of things. I think we'll get an announcement after his workout with us that we've agreed to sign him, which will scare the bejeezus out of all of us, and then like half an hour later it will be reported he's waiting until July 2nd to sign.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBrave14 View Post
    The only reason this would make sense is if the front office values him more due to being on outfielder. He would be the top outfield prospect on day 1, and we don't have anyone like him on the farm. Whereas we do have some talent at 3rd (not maitan talent....but if Riley puts up a solid season his name is going to creep up boards this year). I would hate to lose Gutierrez though. I think that the higher upside is the two guys for July.....but I would love to have a Bo Jackson clone roaming the outfield.
    Just a stab in the dark here (and we all know this wouldn't be the first time I grabbed the wrong girl's breast when doing so), but...

My guess is that the decision has already been made to go after pitching in the June draft...with the 4th highest pool to spend from, we could very easily come out of it with at least three impact arms. Assuming that, you target high-ceiling arms with all 3 of the picks we have in the early rounds - even if you don't attempt to sign everyone you draft you use some of their draft slots to help pay the players you draft in the first 100 picks...

Pick #3 overall - A.J. Puk/Jason Groome/Alec Hanson/Riley Pint
    Pick #40 - Kyle Funkhouser/injury or signing bonus demand concern that slides
    Pick #44 - Robert Tyler/injury or signing bonus demand concern that slides

Adding Maitan, Gutierrez, and Lazarito would give you a 1st round IF/OF talent, a 1st round OF talent, and a 1st round C talent to three 1st round pitching talents.

The three Pitchers would provide you more flexibility to trade from the stockpile of arms you already have. The ETAs of the international position players would seem to REALLY fit "The Plan's" timeline since they'd be a little further behind...

Potential 2016/2017 Arrivals:

Banuelos, Folty, Newcomb, Blair, Jenkins, Sims, Ellis, Gant, Swanson, Albies, Ruiz, Smith

Potential 2018 Arrivals:

Allard, Fried, Toussaint, Puk, Funkhouser, Herbert, Riley, Davidson, Peterson

Potential 2019 Arrivals:

Soroka, Sanchez, Gutierrez, Juan Yepez, Maitan, Derian Cruz, Lazarito, Cristian Pache, Isranel Wilson, etc.

With Markakis under contract through 2018, Olivera under contract through 2020, and Inciarte under contract through 2021 there's really no need to draft an OF who can move fast (Corey Ray or Buddy Reed) since the best ones available are CFs. Use the early picks to continue piling the arms up to trade if/when needed. That's been "The Braves' Way" after all. If any of the younger OFs wind up accelerating their timetables, you can then entertain moving Inciarte for more arms. One of Riley or Maitan's going to wind up in the OF at some point.

Crazy Rainy Wednesday Trade Idea...after the draft and signing period, trade Sims or Jenkins (or one of the ones we draft) and a lower-level arm to Colorado for McMahon. Move Riley to LF, Maitan to CF, and Lazarito to RF...

2019 Braves

2B- Albies, SS- Swanson, 1B- Freeman, LF- Riley, CF- Maitan, 3B- McMahon, RF- Lazarito, C- Gutierrez, DH- Olivera

Bench: C- Herbert, 2B/SS/CF- Peterson/Cruz, RF/LF/1B- Davidson, 1B/3B/LF- Ruiz

Rotation: Teheran, Newcomb, Blair, Allard/Fried, Wisler/Folty/Toussaint/Soroka/who cares???
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-03-2016 at 03:52 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (02-03-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    In your scenerio Puk would def be ready by 2019. But this year will define the Braves future imo. The high draft picks and international guys will keep us at a very high level for the next 10+ years. That's why I really hope they can persuade Lazaro to wait till July.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think we're going to take a bat at 3, and probably a college bat, unless none emerge that are worth it. I think we'll try to avoid pitching there if we can help it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    I think we're going to take a bat at 3, and probably a college bat, unless none emerge that are worth it. I think we'll try to avoid pitching there if we can help it.
    I still think pitching. Unless a bat emerges as a you have to take him kind of player and he is still there at #3. this draft is top heavy with upside pitching. There is also a fairly deep pool of bats that have a good upside. I wouldn't be surprised if we nab Groome/Puk at #3 then Bat at #40 and Best available #44.. like others have said, we are also "drafting" high upside bats starting July 2nd. The need for immediate impact hitting prospects is a concern, but one that the FO is obviously trying to address.. (trying to get Diaz)..

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    According to Jesse Sanchez, Lazarito is willing to wait until July 2nd to sign

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to praeceps93 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (02-04-2016), bravesfanMatt (02-03-2016), rico43 (02-03-2016), The Chosen One (02-03-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    According to Jesse Sanchez, Lazarito is willing to wait until July 2nd to sign
    This is most exciting..

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (02-03-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Cuban outfielder Lazaro Armenteros is willing to consider offers which would require him to wait until the next international signing period begins on July 2.

Armenteros' representatives are also still listening to offers for this signing period. The original expectation was that he would make a decision when he's first eligible to sign on February 10, but waiting until the new signing period begins would certainly expand his market. It's an interesting strategy. There should be more clarity on his status soon.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    What a brilliant move by his agents. His market should be insane. The Big boys will most certainly want to drive his price up if nothing else.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    One benefit to taking a college player at 3 is they are usually willing to sign for under slot money. This allows a team to go way over slot on later picks, like the Astros did last draft with Daz.