Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Litterater Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Just finished Dan Rather's What Unites Us. It's a 270-page essay that reads like a 1950's civics book. Some very good points and is more balanced (although definitely leans left) than I thought it would. Some very good reminders for people of all political stripes on how civil society should work.
    This comment makes me want to find an actual 1950s civics textbook. I think it would be interesting to go back as far as possible reading books from US history and civics classes just to see how much the subject matter and message has changed.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Bonnie and Clyde is the first movie I can remember watching. I was 6 or 7 and when they mowed down Faye Dunaway at the end, it broke my heart. I've always been fascinated by this story and this was a great read.

Last edited by Runnin; 10-05-2018 at 04:41 AM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I didn't think I could become any more disillusioned with the Evangelical movement, but this history of it and how it came to embrace Trump did it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    This is THE definitive book on dropping the bombs on Japan and everything that led up to it. The circumstances around the decision were so, so much more complicated than people realize, though once Truman knew of the bomb existence there was never a doubt that he would use it. A very comprehensive and objective view on the subject, now that enough time has passed. Paul Ham did a super job with this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-14-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I'm 3/4 of the way through its almost 800 pages and this is a tremendous book. Lepore is left-of-center, but she is balanced in her approach to American history and finding the threads that connect it through the eras.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Runnin (10-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I listened to several of the audiobooks in this series a few years ago and really enjoyed them. I just finished watching the 2 existing seasons of the show and may have enjoyed them even more, so I thought it was time to read the entire series. I love most of what Cornwell writes and this is my favorite of his.

Go get him!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-22-2018), Runnin (10-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    Just finished this book. About to start the next one, Was really good. The last half of the book had me saying 1 more chapter too many times late at night.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TURBO For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-22-2018), Jaw (10-23-2018), Runnin (10-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    Just finished this book. About to start the next one, Was really good. The last half of the book had me saying 1 more chapter too many times late at night.

Sanderson is crushing it on this series. I thought Way of Kings was great, but found Words of Radiance and Oathbringer much better.

When you finish the available Stormlight Archive books, I recommend The Kingkiller Chronicles if you haven't read that yet. The last book of the trilogy isn't out yet, and I am beginning to doubt whether it will ever be out, but Kvothe is an incredible character.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Sanderson is crushing it on this series. I thought Way of Kings was great, but found Words of Radiance and Oathbringer much better.

When you finish the available Stormlight Archive books, I recommend The Kingkiller Chronicles if you haven't read that yet. The last book of the trilogy isn't out yet, and I am beginning to doubt whether it will ever be out, but Kvothe is an incredible character.
    Finished up Words of Radiance. You were right, Its better then the first. Im really digging the Roshar universe. Also read the short novel Edgedancer. I like Lift, funny kid. Starting Oathbringer tomorrow,

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TURBO For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Love this book, especially the humor and the stories. Now I'm onto his other titles. I didn't quite finish The Better Angels of Our Nature -- too long, but I'll revisit it soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    For all you Russophiles out there, this one's a good read. A good thriller in Russia with lots of Russian language, culture and character insights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post

My two favorite series are Stromlight and Kingkiller. Though I'm afraid Rothfuss has written himself into a corner with Kingkiller and can't figure out how to tie up all the loose ends in book 3.

Sanderson is a machine though. I have no idea how he's managed to come out with three monster books that are such high quality as quickly as he has.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I wrote a 45 chapter book and have many more. One is on Fanfiction about Stargate and Bayblon 5 with a lot of Easter Eggs. I am re-writing it to make it better and try to correct all the grammar errors and spellings out. I have a great following. The last one was better but they know who I am. The other is not on the site anymore. I am rewriting and it is way different.

If you are into these two genres, I will not say Easter Eggs, let me know and I will provide a link in a pm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    An excellent read, not only about the legend but also an informative account of Hong Kong/Chinese culture and the movie industry. Very well researched.

Polly breaks down the myths surrounding Bruce Lee and argues that, contrary to popular belief, he was an ambitious actor who was obsessed with the martial arts—not a kung-fu guru who just so happened to make a couple of movies. This is an honest, revealing look at an impressive yet imperfect man whose personal story was even more entertaining and inspiring than any fictional role he played onscreen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    This woman should be in jail.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I'm up to my eyeballs with the legislative session in Minnesota, but I've been in biography mode when I have a chance to read. Here are the two I have been working on simultaneously.

Isenberg's assessment of Burr is heavily biased towards him, but it's a great read of one of the most mistreated figures in American history. The book really shows how Thomas Jefferson was a schemer extraordinaire. The Watson biography was Woodward's first book and it does show, as the prose in his later books was better organized and more smoothly presented, but the book is a great depiction of the situation in the post-Civil War era for farmers not only in Watson's Georgia, but throughout the country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Loved these two books, even though the Tiger biography was a very sad read. There's a lot of ugly dysfunction in many American success stories. Ironically, much less in Alice Cooper's.

Last edited by Runnin; 05-09-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    This is a really fun and wildly entertaining read. It's timely too, as we now are just beginning to wade through our own Congressional investigation clusterf**k.

Look at how much Johnny Roselli resembles Roger Stone. It did not end well for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,278 Posts
    Really enjoy Brandon Sandersons books. So I decided to read Elantris is first series that's kind of the introduction this worlds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    Really enjoy Brandon Sandersons books. So I decided to read Elantris is first series that's kind of the introduction this worlds.
    I enjoyed Elantris but when you read that and then read Stormlight Archives, you see how he's grown in his craft.