Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Kiley just did a good job summing up the Braves plan:

I think ATL had lots of possible moves, they're at the opening of a window and chose to not act too aggressively. Standing pat for one more year of prospect development is the easiest of the correct answers, so that's what they seemed to have chosen

It explains all the short term deals and the reluctance towards cashing in any prospect capital.
    And lots of FA OF names available next year that were discussed here.

Ozuna
    Puig
    Castilianos (SP)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Decent chance Matt Chapman is made available if the A's take a step back in 2019. Certainly would be good to have the prospect capital to trade for him.
    AA loves stealing young impact 3B from the As.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-23-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravesfannchar View Post
    And lots of FA OF names available next year that were discussed here.

Ozuna
    Puig
    Castilianos (SP)
    3B too.

JD
    Arenado
    Rendon

All these guys should fall into the contract range below Machado/Harper that the Braves can actually afford.

I suppose it's time to once again say, "looks like NEXT year is when the Braves will make serious additions".

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    The Braves could still add Zobrist or Marwin and create an incredibly deep roster full of platoon advantages.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-23-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    So what does AA say to the season ticket holders? Markakis isn’t really what a lot were expecting and were expecting a bigger offseason.
    "Everyone wants to see us make a splash with trades and signings. I get it completely. … The one thing I know the fans care about is if that team is going to win on the field.”
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

buck75 (01-23-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    The Braves could still add Zobrist or Marwin and create an incredibly deep roster full of platoon advantages.
    I wouldn't hate Marwin at this point in time. Have to think his versatility and price point right now could be a nice fit.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Would 2/20 get Marwin?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    think marwin could work out quite well. and he won't be expensive based on what other guys have received so far.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

I think ATL had lots of possible moves, they're at the opening of a window and chose to not act too aggressively. Standing pat for one more year of prospect development is the easiest of the correct answers, so that's what they seemed to have chosen

It explains all the short term deals and the reluctance towards cashing in any prospect capital.

Not a new theory around here either.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    At the deadline you have to cash in prospects. But I think he will try to follow the model used in the Gausman trade. Cash in multiple second-tier prospects while trying to hold on to the best ones.
    We put ourselves in the GM's shoes.

I would hope that he would be willing to give up things from the good list to get things of great value. I hope that he would never give up premium talent for an imperfect fix, just to marginally improve the team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    3B too.

JD
    Arenado
    Rendon

All these guys should fall into the contract range below Machado/Harper that the Braves can actually afford.

I suppose it's time to once again say, "looks like NEXT year is when the Braves will make serious additions".

I don't think the Braves will be serious on Arenado, but maybe.

If the Nats don't sign Harper, my assumption is that they will use the cash to keep Rendon off the market. Particularly, if Rendon's rumored ask is as reasonable as reported.

Ozuna seems like a real possibility.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I was sort of thinking about this after I heard about the Nick signing. Maybe AA thinks he has enough starpower with Donaldson, Acuna, and Freeman and he is trying to build a deep roster with quality bats up and down the lineup/bench in lieu of grabbing one impact guy.

It might just be me trying to figure out a way to justify the Markakis deal in my head, but I think an approach like that does make some sense.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    If we signed Marwin to a 3/33 deal or something like that, our lineup would be incredibly deep. Instead of having Culberson be our premier bat at the top of the bench, he'd basically be on the far end of the bench. The only slight hesitation I have is Snitker's willingness to deploy AA's strategy, if this is indeed the strategy that he is going with.

But having a bench of Camargo, Marwin, McCann, Culberson, and Duvall would give us a TON of opportunities to exploit platoon mismatches. AA would have to stay on top of Snitker though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Drew Pomeranz to the Giants for 1.5m guaranteed, incentives to 5m.

Dumping Teheran and doing a veteran scrap heap pickup like that would have made a ton of sense to me.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    If we signed Marwin to a 3/33 deal or something like that, our lineup would be incredibly deep. Instead of having Culberson be our premier bat at the top of the bench, he'd basically be on the far end of the bench. The only slight hesitation I have is Snitker's willingness to deploy AA's strategy, if this is indeed the strategy that he is going with.

But having a bench of Camargo, Marwin, McCann, Culberson, and Duvall would give us a TON of opportunities to exploit platoon mismatches. AA would have to stay on top of Snitker though.
    Why not do this and trade for JTR? JTR won't cost a lot in the way of $ and would definitely fit in our budget.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Drew Pomeranz to the Giants for 1.5m guaranteed, incentives to 5m.

Dumping Teheran and doing a veteran scrap heap pickup like that would have made a ton of sense to me.
    i don't think it was very possible to dump teheran, even paying most of the money.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

i don't even think it would take 3/33 to sign him at this point.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

buck75 (01-23-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    I was sort of thinking about this after I heard about the Nick signing. Maybe AA thinks he has enough starpower with Donaldson, Acuna, and Freeman and he is trying to build a deep roster with quality bats up and down the lineup/bench in lieu of grabbing one impact guy.

It might just be me trying to figure out a way to justify the Markakis deal in my head, but I think an approach like that does make some sense.
    It definitely makes sense. Didn't Zobrist come within an eyelash of signing with Atlanta before ultimately signing with the Cubs?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts

On the other hand, by the end of this season some of the prospects, probably even some we are counting on being able to use in trades to upgrade the team, will go down in value due to injuries or inability to adjust at higher levels. Someone will be the 2019 version of Kolby Allard.

The point being, some of these guys may provide more purchasing power right now than they will at the deadline or after the season.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Don't forget, if you trade for JTR, you likely trade Flowers as well. So you could dump Flowers, Duvall, and/or Freeman, freeing up plenty of space to be creative.
    Ideally (for me), you make a Realmuto/Steckenrider deal for Riley, Anderson or Wilson, Flowers, and a throw-in and dump Freeman (adds ~ $2.5 million if Steckenrider bumps up to $2 million this year). Then cut Duvall loose and sign Marwin for 3 years/$30 million (adds ~ $7 million). Leave the rest (~ $5 million) plus anything Bowman was assuming they'd have left for a possible TOR addition at the deadline. I could be pretty happy with...

Acuna, Realmuto, Freddie, Donaldson, Markakis/Camargo/Gonzalez, Albies, Ender, Dansby

A Mac, Camargo, Gonzalez, and Culberson bench would be really strong, and Steckenrider should be a pretty solid upgrade to the pen over Freeman (not to mention he could provide another closing option).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?