Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Braves are moving to Cobb County

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mrs. Meta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    I hope they hire a good architect and design a beautiful stadium and add interesting dimensions. Turner Field is so damn vanilla it makes me puke.
    Vanilla ice cream better not make you puke.
    "Water seeks its own level, and that will be the case with Francoeur." ~50PoundHead

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Meta View Post
    Vanilla ice cream better not make you puke.
    lol dems fightin' words.

only too much ice cream would make me puke.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (11-11-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    I hope they hire a good architect and design a beautiful stadium and add interesting dimensions. Turner Field is so damn vanilla it makes me puke.
    I've thought a lot about that too. This organization has never really had a chance to put their signature on a ballpark. I'm thinking short porch in right for Heyward & Freeman, cavernous CF so fly balls die out there, and more foul territory for cheap outs.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mrs. Meta's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    I've thought a lot about that too. This organization has never really had a chance to put their signature on a ballpark. I'm thinking short porch in right for Heyward & Freeman, cavernous CF so fly balls die out there, and more foul territory for cheap outs.
    ... And a time machine for lost playoff games
    "Water seeks its own level, and that will be the case with Francoeur." ~50PoundHead

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    I know I speak for the rest of you when I say this, but as a Braves fan, I want what is best for the team and the franchise. If what is best is moving the team to Cobb County, then by all means, do it. I'm just still in shock how much of a secret this was. Usually when you have news this big, someone can't keep it to themselves and the media finds out about it. Especially in this day of social media.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-11-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I just think it's cool that we are getting a new stadium. Forget all of the externalities. I didn't think we'd get one for another 20 years.
    thank you weso1!

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I know I speak for the rest of you when I say this, but as a Braves fan, I want what is best for the team and the franchise. If what is best is moving the team to Cobb County, then by all means, do it. I'm just still in shock how much of a secret this was. Usually when you have news this big, someone can't keep it to themselves and the media finds out about it. Especially in this day of social media.
    Braves have always been a tight-lipped organization on every move they make.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I wonder if they will hire Janet Marie Smith to work on this project. She has been hired by the Dodgers to renovate their stadium.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Honestly, I hope they don't do anything too wacky with field dimensions. Historically parks that heavily favor hitters (Coors, GAB), or pitchers (Petco, Safeco) feature home teams that struggle to contend. Give me a mostly neutral playing field any day.

If they want to go crazy beyond the field, though, be my guest. Give us another giant cow with a tomahawk, a giant dartboard with Fredi's face on it, whatever. Just don't mess with the field itself.

And for god's sake, no flag pole on a hill like they've got in Houston.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I just think it's cool that we are getting a new stadium. Forget all of the externalities. I didn't think we'd get one for another 20 years.
    Well, "new stadium" doesn't always equate to "better stadium." Lets hope it does in this case.

But I'm the sort of fan that wishes teams would just build a stadium and stick with it for a couple centuries. For instance: I might loathe a lot of the "fans" inside Wrigley, but I love the edifice that is Wrigley. If teams build a new stadium every twenty or thirty years, that patina of history is never given a chance to germinate.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Well, "new stadium" doesn't always equate to "better stadium." Lets hope it does in this case.

But I'm the sort of fan that wishes teams would just build a stadium and stick with it for a couple centuries. For instance: I might loathe a lot of the "fans" inside Wrigley, but I love the edifice that is Wrigley. If teams build a new stadium every twenty or thirty years, that patina of history is never given a chance to germinate.
    Turner Field sucks because it wasn't meant for baseball, they only modified it to become a baseball stadium. This new stadium will be constructed first and foremost as a baseball stadium.

So hopefully it is better.
    Forever Fredi

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Been watching and reading some of the Atlanta news coverage today. This is going to be easy for me to say because I'm all the way out here on the outskirts of Mobile, Alabama and not in Atlanta. It seems to me maybe a part of this is the Braves feel the mayor and other city leaders went out of their way to give the Falcons what they wanted for their billion dollar stadium, while not doing the same for the Braves. It's not like they were asking Atlanta for a new ballpark. Just funds to improve Turner Field. Maybe I'm off base.

Those of you in Atlanta, could that be part of the reason?
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmykayak View Post
    And for god's sake, no flag pole on a hill like they've got in Houston.
    We could have a 'Stone Mountain' in center. Just a huge cement hill.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (11-11-2013)

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    It's a total of 60 acres. They only need 15 acres for the stadium footprint. There's 25 acres directly attached to the stadium for parking and then they have 20 acres lining Circle 75 for Braves team offices and what they said will be like a Braves village, full of restaurants, bars, and shops.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Been watching and reading some of the Atlanta news coverage today. This is going to be easy for me to say because I'm all the way out here on the outskirts of Mobile, Alabama and not in Atlanta. It seems to me maybe a part of this is the Braves feel the mayor and other city leaders went out of their way to give the Falcons what they wanted for their billion dollar stadium, while not doing the same for the Braves. It's not like they were asking Atlanta for a new ballpark. Just funds to improve Turner Field. Maybe I'm off base.

Those of you in Atlanta, could that be part of the reason?
    Absolutely. From all I've read, the Braves have made multiple requests to Atlanta over matters regarding the stadium and the surrounding property, and have been all but ignored. I'm sure the Falcons' stadium was one of the last straws.

It's kind of like if you live in an apartment, and your landlord ignores all your service requests. Once your lease is up, you're more than welcome to go out and find someone willing to treat you better. And apparently the Braves believe they've found that in Cobb county. Now whether they're right or not, is another question...

And by all reports, nothing has been signed yet. They could be playing chicken with the entire city of Atlanta. You never know.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Turner Field sucks because it wasn't meant for baseball, they only modified it to become a baseball stadium. This new stadium will be constructed first and foremost as a baseball stadium.

So hopefully it is better.
    I neither loved nor hated Turner Field merely as a structure — though I do have a lot of great memories accrued there. I'm more commenting on the general and perpetual new-stadium cycle in US sports, which I find depressing and disgusting; but, to a certain degree, those circumstances don't align with this instance, because Turner Field wasn't constructed as a first-and-foremost baseball venue.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (11-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I just found out about this. I'm in total shock.

I guess I am in the minority, but I love Turner Field. It was the first place I ever saw an MLB game, and I have so many good memories from over the years.

The new spot will be better for me when I visit once a year because I stay to the North, but... I am having trouble wrapping my mind around this.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    New Field Wish List:

Unique Deisgn
    Unique Dimensions
    Retractable Roof

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    the stadium can look worse than the disaster the marlins have for all I care.

What I want to see is a significant raise in payroll. None of this payroll may go up and we stay at the same payroll garbage that weve had for the past 10 years. The braves will get a massive influx of cash now. And its gonna be thanks to tax payers money they better reinvest a significant part of that on field talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    I've had the opportunity to catch games at all of the stadiums in the NL East, and although I guess it's not really fair to compare since we have the oldest by far, in terms of what are of the other 4 have to offer we are definitely lagging behind. Although I love Turner Field because of how personalized it is to all things Braves and Braves history (the Mets could learn a serious lesson from this), overall I'd rank them Citi Field, Marlins Park, Nationals Park, Citizens Bank Park, Turner Field.