Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Uribe and KJ to NYM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I expected someone with a chance to contribute at some point. What I really wanted to see was a relief prospect. Someone like the guy the Brewers got for Ramirez. We have more of a need there and a guy like that has a better chance of contributing in Atlanta than either of these guys.

A couple hours before this trade I remarked how the last thing I wanted to target was guys who top out as back end of the rotation guys. In a perfect world that's exactly what these guys become.

I'm not high on either pitcher and neither one fits a need in our system. There's just no upside for us here. That's my problem with this deal. There's plenty of reason to trade KJ and Uribe and I was never expecting much back. But I just don't see any reason to trade for these prospects. They have no value here.
    The sense I've gotten from reading about Barrios (from Pirates in Ramirez trade), Gant, and Whalen is that both of the guys we received are more valuable assets than Barrios. I agree that the top of the rotation comment on Gant above has to be a typo. Kiley McDaniel though noted that both Gant and Whalen have upsides of being average MLB starters. Neither Gant or Whalen is the type of prospect that you pencil in to future rotations, but who knows.

Here's another scenario to consider. It would not be surprising if one of these guys maintains that upside projection by this time next year. In other words, becomes a solid 45 FV prospect who is pitching at AA or AAA. If the Braves are in contention a year from now, they could use such a 45 FV prospect and the $2.7m saved to acquire a very nice rental piece for the stretch run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I don't see a correlation between draft position and how active a team is or isn't in free agency.
    Having a protected pick does make a difference. Look at how costing a pick hurt Santana.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I expected someone with a chance to contribute at some point. What I really wanted to see was a relief prospect. Someone like the guy the Brewers got for Ramirez. We have more of a need there and a guy like that has a better chance of contributing in Atlanta than either of these guys.

A couple hours before this trade I remarked how the last thing I wanted to target was guys who top out as back end of the rotation guys. In a perfect world that's exactly what these guys become.

I'm not high on either pitcher and neither one fits a need in our system. There's just no upside for us here. That's my problem with this deal. There's plenty of reason to trade KJ and Uribe and I was never expecting much back. But I just don't see any reason to trade for these prospects. They have no value here.
    Basically you're just ignoring the good scouting reports on them because you choose to. You revert back to old scouting reports and not the newest evaluations. Because you know little about these players and choose not to learn more, they won't ever contribute... Gotcha

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Having a protected pick does make a difference. Look at how costing a pick hurt Santana.
    Okay I will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Okay I will.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-26-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

this is incorrect
    Ivermectin Man

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-26-2015), Julio3000 (07-26-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

I'm not trying to pile on, but how does that statement even make sense. Again, people are absolutely out of touch with reality to expect A+ prospects for two players that are not only two months rental, but IMHO, aren't going to put the Braves in the playoffs. Gant/Whalen are a shot at potential. Realized or not, there is value in that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    There is now reason to believe that Bowman is bad at math . . .

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 4m4 minutes ago Queens, NY
    mets took on exactly $2.5M in uribe/johnson deal. so braves chip in close to 500K. (uribe '15 salary $6.5M, KJ 1.5M)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-26-2015), jpx7 (07-26-2015), Tapate50 (07-26-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    The Mets apparently weren't even interested in Uribe much, in fact they've already started Murphy two straight at third using Uribe as only a bench bat since the trade. They were clearly more interested in KJ and only changed their mind and decided to get Uribe after the other trade for a third baseman fell through. So I think that explains why they'd only give up Gant/Whalen in the deal. KJ was the headliner for them and despite his numbers this year he isn't worth much in a trade. And while Uribe should be worth more he clearly was worth even less to the Mets. This is why I didn't like this trade and why I'd argue that we should've waited till closer to the deadline. At least with regard to Uribe who I wanted to bring back for next year anyway. Further, we could've still probably traded KJ to the Mets for at least one of these kids in that case.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 07-26-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    There is now reason to believe that Bowman is bad at math . . .

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 4m4 minutes ago Queens, NY
    mets took on exactly $2.5M in uribe/johnson deal. so braves chip in close to 500K. (uribe '15 salary $6.5M, KJ 1.5M)
    The more I hear about this trade the less I like it. The next update will be that we sent 750K I suppose. :)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    The more I hear about this trade the less I like it.
    Uribe just hit a walk-off single to win today :(

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Maybe he'll see more time in the starting-lineup now.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    If he keeps that up he'll end up starting for them, win them over and probably get brought back to go against us again next year for the Mets. :(

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    Good for him. Hate seeing both he and KJ go, but if it means taking down the Nats.....I'll root for the Mets.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-27-2015), TomahawkCult (07-26-2015)

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Ownership spending less once again. Screw even trying if there's a dollar to be saved. What a joke this organization has become.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    Ownership spending less once again. Screw even trying if there's a dollar to be saved. What a joke this organization has become.
    Right, because paying free agents to be on a losing ball club is better than trading them for possible future assets.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by depley View Post
    I find it funny that people here think they can look at stats on a web page and decide who is good and who is worthless.

I suppose if I told you the Braves just traded one of their starters for a minor league guy with a .568 ERA and a 4-10 record at AA, I suppose he would be worthless as well.

This scenario plays out Sunday when that minor league guy enters the baseball HOF. Yes, John Smoltz. So please don't pass yourself off as the end all expert when in the game of baseball at any time any player might hit the right combo and suddenly be a whole lot more than one might think they could became. I will leave that up to the scouts and baseball men that have been doing it for a long long time, sure there are misses, but all one needs is 1 success to make it worthwhile.
    I would be excited if we traded for a minor league pitcher with a 0.568 ERA, but thats just me.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Let me explain the difference between a good front office and a bad front office. A good front office sends his scouts to see other teams prospects, asks their opinion and relies on their expertise. A bad front office sends his scouts to see other teams prospects and when they come back saying they like 2 under the radar prospects the GM worries about what the fans will think and instead asks for prospects with name value despite what the scouts think.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-27-2015), Runnin (07-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Let me explain the difference between a good front office and a bad front office. A good front office sends his scouts to see other teams prospects, asks their opinion and relies on their expertise. A bad front office sends his scouts to see other teams prospects and when they come back saying they like 2 under the radar prospects the GM worries about what the fans will think and instead asks for prospects with name value despite what the scouts think.
    A good front office often makes moves that on the surface don't make a lot of sense to the average fan.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Right, because paying free agents to be on a losing ball club is better than trading them for possible future assets.
    Lets also ignore the fact that they bought a prospect for 10 million dollars just a couple of months ago and took a financial gamble on Cahill at the start of the season.
    Natural Immunity Croc