2. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-29-2016)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    He'd be another slider-speed bat guy who did alright for himself. If he indeed does have a slider-speed bat, Riley will have to make adjustments, but it's not like adjustments can't be made.
    Freddie Freeman has carved out a decent early career as a poor man's Mark Grace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/in...ingfulmeracuna

Riley has slider bat speed and 20 foot speed. Don't expect him on our top prospect list from Klaw.
    Third baseman Austin Riley, the team's third pick (41st overall) in 2015, couldn't have looked any worse. The team's No. 12 prospect showed slider bat speed that had him behind average fastballs from Sanchez, and he also struck out on a slider well below the zone. He showed 20-grade speed (on the 20-80 scouting scale) running out a double play that he should have beaten, and he fell down on a ground ball hit right at him at third base because he couldn't move his feet enough to allow him to handle the ball cleanly. Instead, he tried at the last second to backhand it and fell down. He has a 70 arm and is clearly very strong, enough to run into some power, but this was not a great look for his hit or glove tools.

Holy ****. I'll be surprised if the guy can feed himself after that hatchet job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Third baseman Austin Riley, the team's third pick (41st overall) in 2015, couldn't have looked any worse. The team's No. 12 prospect showed slider bat speed that had him behind average fastballs from Sanchez, and he also struck out on a slider well below the zone. He showed 20-grade speed (on the 20-80 scouting scale) running out a double play that he should have beaten, and he fell down on a ground ball hit right at him at third base because he couldn't move his feet enough to allow him to handle the ball cleanly. Instead, he tried at the last second to backhand it and fell down. He has a 70 arm and is clearly very strong, enough to run into some power, but this was not a great look for his hit or glove tools.

Holy ****. I'll be surprised if the guy can feed himself after that hatchet job.
    Wow
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts

Judge Riley for yourself. He's got a nice looking swing. Honestly, he looks like a prototypical mashing third baseman. Also, you don't hit like he did last year without being able to catch up to a fastball. Rookie ball is full of guys with good fastballs who throw them a lot.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-29-2016), GovClintonTyree (03-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I agree striker. He has better than slider bat speed. Law just dislikes certain people and never gets over it. This season will tell a big story but I'm predicting 18-20 homers for Riley this year.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I agree striker. He has better than slider bat speed. Law just dislikes certain people and never gets over it. This season will tell a big story but I'm predicting 18-20 homers for Riley this year.
    I think his offense will be fine.. his play at 3rd will be the story this year.. is he going to have to move to 1B?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I think his offense will be fine.. his play at 3rd will be the story this year.. is he going to have to move to 1B?
    WOuld that be such a bad thing. Not exactly overflowing with 1B prospects shouldl Freddie go down for any reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    WOuld that be such a bad thing. Not exactly overflowing with 1B prospects shouldl Freddie go down for any reason.
    I wouldn't consider it positive. Full time 3b>backup 1B
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Saw a Perfect Game employee on Twitter last week that was watching Braves guys. He said Riley is a prototypical right field profile. It sounds like the athleticism is the question here, which made me wonder how he could possibly play RF, but that would seem to be a big help with our corner OF prospect issue. Although it's not like we're overflowing with 3B prospects, either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

Is he talking about just watching him play in one game? He could have just had a bad game. Maybe could have even not been feeling well or something. The video posted itt shows a different player than what K-law is essentially describing as a bumbling baffoon.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Saw a Perfect Game employee on Twitter last week that was watching Braves guys. He said Riley is a prototypical right field profile. It sounds like the athleticism is the question here, which made me wonder how he could possibly play RF, but that would seem to be a big help with our corner OF prospect issue. Although it's not like we're overflowing with 3B prospects, either.
    Word is that Riley showed up to camp in much better shape. Still don't see him as RF. Maybe LF but not right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Right, Huddy. What happens is, he sees a guy once, formulates his opinion, never deviates. Then gets lauded in some quarters for "speaking his mind" and "sticking to his guns", when what he really is is sloppy and lazy.

I'll put a lot more credence in just about any opinion over KLaw's, including and especially the several guys on our board who follow the minors. It's a shame Law is the one with the bully pulpit.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-29-2016), Hudson2 (03-29-2016), JohnAdcox (03-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Maybe he should get more than 60 games as a professional baseball player to mature, get in shape, and learn before he's labeled a DH with a slider speed bat at 19.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (03-29-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Right, Huddy. What happens is, he sees a guy once, formulates his opinion, never deviates. Then gets lauded in some quarters for "speaking his mind" and "sticking to his guns", when what he really is is sloppy and lazy.

I'll put a lot more credence in just about any opinion over KLaw's, including and especially the several guys on our board who follow the minors. It's a shame Law is the one with the bully pulpit.
    By the way, I mean that. Rico, nsacpi, et al, I don't have a chance to follow the minors and I greatly appreciate the thought and work you guys put into your posts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Word is that Riley showed up to camp in much better shape. Still don't see him as RF. Maybe LF but not right.
    Thought his arm was terrific. A LF is a RF without an arm, right? If he's got one fielding tool wouldn't you take advantage of it?

I saw him at third in the video from Striker. I liked his hands and thought he looked skilled enough. If he lost 10 pounds of bad weight I think he'd be fine at 3B. If he's a 30-35 HR guy, I might confuse him with Brooks Robinson over there.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Unless there's more to that post about Riley, I don't see the Law hate. He's scouting based on what he saw. I'm pretty sure that is how scouting works. You make reports based on what you observe. He's not saying that Riley has no future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think Law caught Riley on a bad day in terms of footwork at third. The reports last year suggested he was surprisingly nimble for a big guy. It is highly premature to consider moving him to the outfield.

This will be a big year for Riley, Acuna, Yepez and possibly Isranel Wilson if he plays at Rome. Full-season ball is a big test and hopefully one or more of these guys use it to show they are a Top 100 prospect.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 03-29-2016 at 11:23 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I plan to be in Rome a lot, and I'll let you guys know what I see. That will be the definitive scouting report on him, so we can disregard Law at that point.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (03-29-2016), Tapate50 (03-29-2016)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I plan to be in Rome a lot, and I'll let you guys know what I see. That will be the definitive scouting report on him, so we can disregard Law at that point.
    I'd love to make the drive and join you for a game. Who's in?